Nana Mouskouri - Alleluia Sweet Maria and a Pure Heart.


I ended up watching a tribute to Nana Mouskouri last night on BBC4 which I surprisingly enjoyed. She had a pure voice, which I liked.
Now I have a colleague at work called Sioned . She is a sprightly, gloriously single Welshwoman who wears her nationality on her sleeve like a banner. For the five years I have now been at the hospice , she has been endeavouring in teaching me Welsh.
Suffice to say I’m better than I was at the start. 
Sioned has a pure heart , she is a good nurse, an excellent one in fact and she is retiring very soon, much to everyone’s surprise. 
I shall miss her

So I bought her this at the Apple Festival. A little Welsh woman singing the hymn Calon Lân.
There is a story about the gift.
Perhaps three years ago, near Christmas and after supper, the hospice was darkened and quiet.
From a patient’s room Came the voice of a nurse called Nia, and she was singing Calon Lân very gently. For a moment we listened then Sioned who was stood by the office door gently joined in.
And all of the nurses and support workers stopped what they were doing to listen 

It was a strange , moving, rather theatrical moment that I will never forget



Calon Lân literally means A Pure Heart in Welsh

11 comments:

  1. A very thoughtful and unique gift John. I hope Sioned's mouth is more central on her face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely, heartwarming post. I wish Sioned a long, happy and healthy retirement. She's going to love the Welshwoman! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the very thoughtfully selected momento.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really lovely gift. I am sure she will be very touched by the thought behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gift. The hymn is very stirring. I am proud to have some Welsh ancestry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops..am I in Spam??

    ReplyDelete
  7. The perfect gift for Sioned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:02 pm

    The video was very moving. Music and beauty and hard working pride all rolled into one short clip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby2:03 pm

      gosh darn it. That was debby.

      Delete
  9. That sounds like a wonderful memory.
    I had a patient once, who was a opera singer, and she sang for the whole department. It was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so sad when good nurses leave.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes