Black Dog

 

The story of redemption through the love of a dog isn’t new in Hollywood. Who hasn’t cried buckets at Lassie Come Home or The Incredible Journey?? But places like, China have a somewhat different kind of relationship with canines to be sure so this modern western set in the rundown town on the verge of the Gobi Desert, feels totally new and reinvented. 
The film starts with a sense of awe and incredulity as hundreds of dogs gallop down a valley side in front of a battered Chinese bus which overturns as the animals rush on. 
No Indians 
No covered wagons 
Just dogs and a crashed bus.
It’s an amazing scene . 
And this film by Guan Hu is full of such scenes.
It’s 2008 and China is supporting its Olympic heroes, but for the diminishing  rural/industrial population life is grim. In a nameless Town, full of empty slum apartment blocks, the feral dogs symbolise the dispossessed Chinese poor, despised by officialdom and lacking order and hope. 
Into this existence we follow one of the crashed bus passengers . Lang ( Eddie Peng)  is coming home after time in prison. Silent and morose, he finds his alcoholic father poorly and in charge of the most depressing zoo imaginable. Neighbours mourn their old life as the authorities engage Lang as one of the town’s dog catchers, a troupe of nasty characters who are not above beating to death dogs caught. 
But Lang rebels and although he faces a local butcher wanting revenge for his nephew’s supposed murder he is softened by the appearance of a strange black dog , who he befriends and eventually dotes on. 
It’s a strange, haunting film, heavy on symbolism and showing much criticism of the new Chinese way. 
I was thinking about it all the way home, a sign of a powerful movie I always think.

I had a Chinese takeaway tonight too, something I never do! 
I can never justify the cost
Tonight I said fuck it 
Dim sum, salt and pepper prawns and special fried rice
Bloody lovely



  

27 comments:

  1. That sounds like a powerful film. Not sure I'd like it, I'm too emotional for films like that. Treating yourself once in a while is OK. Some days we really need those treats! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:29 pm

    Well I was craving Mexican food but now I want Chinese takeout. A few years ago we moved from the country to the city. The number one problem is the convenience and options for takeout meals! - Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a singleton, I’ve not had a Chinese take out since I was married

      Delete
  3. An unusual film. I don't think I could watch any animal cruelty scenes though.
    I love Chinese food but sadly am unable to eat it these days. Hope you enjoyed yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chinese relationship with dogs is double sworded

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:13 pm

    A movie theatre when you are sad is the right place to hide

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dim sum looks so yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotton just how lovely proper dim sum dumplings are

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:53 am

      Weaver would have wanted you to enjoy this too

      Delete
  6. Barbara Anne10:14 pm

    When a movie has taken your emotions up and down and up again, a take-away treat is a good stabilizer for your mood. Hope you get take-away treats more often. Was there any food safe enough (and left over) to share with the family or did you open a package of sausages?!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does indeed sound like a powerful movie. Doesn't sound like the kind of thing a Chinese filmmaker could make inside China -- is Guan Hu an ex-pat, do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up Guan Hu on Wikipedia and he lives and works in China alright, not an ex-pat. Is China allowing more freedom of expression these days or does the film's symbolism just go over the government's head? Wow.

      Delete
    2. I wondered about this too.

      Delete
  8. Chinese supper and a dog looking on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking about a film after it finishes is like closing the back of a finished good book and staring at the wall for half an hour; for me a need to digest and process what I've encountered. I watched "My sailor, my love" yesterday, and have " The Road Dance" lined up for tomorrow. I watch on the laptop - no cinema where I live 8 miles south of the arse end of nowhere lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was the special fried rice special because it had pulled dog in it? The film sounds worth watching. I wonder if it is on at The Showroom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's nothing so good as Chinese takeout once in awhile. My mouth is watering, thinking about it, and I've just had a dinner of burger and sweet potatoe fries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One does what one must to deal with sadness
    (splurging helps),I hope you sleep well tonight.I doubt Black Dog is available here in USA,so I settled for a happier choice,The Incredible
    Journey .-Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jo in Auckland2:29 am

    I don't think I could watch a movie like that, I generally can't watch anything with animals in it at all I am far far to emotional and it upsets me so much. I have in the past but choose not to these days. On the upside the chinese looks good, anything with prawn in gets my vote... however I generally don't dot takeaways except the odd pizza for lunch. I do cook chinese food at home because I like to know what goes into my food.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The film sounds fascinating. I haven't had a pukka Chinese takeaway for years. I really must organise one for when I get back next week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a good movie and I might just watch it. However, I've never had a taste for Chinese food so I'll just skip that part.

    ReplyDelete
  16. An intriguing film. I would like to watch it too, but am not sure if I would cope with the difficult parts.

    I enjoy a good Chinese take away too but don't often have one. Yours looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please tell me the film had a happy ending x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hardly watch films nowadays..but that does sound like one worth finding.
    Our local cinema has reopened..but it would have to involve a car journey...unless it was a matinée of course..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous11:37 am

    Sounds like an interesting movie. I will look it up and see if available here. It was hot here yesterday but I had a hot bowl of Pho at a local Viet place and it was wonderful. Sometimes you just need what you need. Glad you indulged.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes