We Can See Your Charlie


What did you do in the war father?
Everyone’s too old for that question now.
I used to ask it a lot of my mother and grandparents and always received a robust reply
Last night I was asked by a patient 

How was your lockdown ?

I think she was referring to work and PPE and end of life care.
But a whole kaleidoscope  of memories came flooding back, most funny a few poignant.  

All I could think of were zooms with friends , and 80 ribald gay men each with their own window , of Lyndi’s Charlie and miming at Choir, of kind volunteers leaving shopping on the kitchen wall and of Winifred’s bravura death with her rubber chicken. 

Lockdown was a lonely , awful black time much of it during winter where all I would experience at night working was death and those linked to it, but outside this I’m recognising the humour that lifted many of us singletons through, when we’re we’re home, alone.

Choir continued every week , which is impossible on zoom as you can’t effectively sing together properly.but sing we did, and the tradition of sitting at the laptop looking into each other’s homes grew more and more important than the singing itself. Pets started to infiltrate the cameras with tenor Lydi enjoying our pantomime calls of “ We can see your Charlie!!!!!” When her old lurcher wandered into view. 
I still tear up everytime I hear I raise You Up , the song that we adopted as our LOCKDOWN anthem 
We sang it every week at the end of choir , and waved merrily at each other afterwards in order to keep the spirits up.

The Big Gay Quiz was on zoom every Friday evening, and at its height had well over a hundred queens from all over the world logging in to groan and bicker and chatter and laugh over a pub quiz that was run on military lines by an leather queer with control issues. 
This clip was from winter 2021
 Face washed ( tick)
Hair brushed ( tick) 
Clean shirt checked for food stains ( check) - there was only one small splash of pot noodle..no one would notice ...tee hee
Background looking interesting behind me ( double check ) 
I was ready.
I squirted myself with a blast of Clinique Happy as a gay moral booster, as if it mattered”

Lockdown meant painting and cooking alongside my old friend Nia  in Sydney and clandestine meetings with Chic Eleanor in McDonald’s car park , where we sat, each in our own cars , chatting a distance chat over coffee
This morning I drove up to McDonald’s to meet Chic Eleanor in the carpark for coffee.
The weather was atrocious but she looked fresh faced and as smiley as ever
“ Darling John..it’s almost like a tryst “ she admitted almost guiltily, pulling a green cashmere scarf tighter around her neck. “ Chin chin “ 
We raised our coffee cups from our respective driver’s seats, our breaths steaming in the cold air
She reminds me of the actress Lee Remick.“ 
Velvet Voiced Linda galvanised the village volunteer group and things never felt as bad or as lonely in the Village after that 


My family zoomed and Sheffield folk I “saw” every week but I do recall one moment that hurt more than anything else and which reminded me I was, very much alone 
When Winnie died, chomping on a rubber chicken with all of the gusto of a Viking chewing a ham, I left her valiant body with Albert and said chicken for an age. She had collapsed behind the kitchen door and I couldn’t get though so had to go around the cottage to move her. 
That is, at ten pm that night
I couldn’t move her
She was just too big, too dead a weight for me to carry
So I knocked on next door and asked Sailor John if he could help
Lockdown meant he shouldn’t come into contact with me, 
But it was something I couldn’t do alone and looking at my red blotchy face and snotty nose he smiled kindly and nodded……
that he would………
My darling Winnie , the Queen of Tonga



55 comments:

  1. It was a strange time

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hundred queens have diminished by half and only the sad bastards with no lives remain, with the odd new face appearing for us to drool over like they are a fresh piece of fillet steak.

    You are missed x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss your waspish commentary mave , every week was a performance xx

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:47 pm

    I know many many people will disagree with me and I'm not looking for anybody called Anonymous to get into a fight because I won't be responding, but all I see now is how truly nonsensical and illogical the majority of the restrictions of Lockdown were. It was government by fear and it's a trick they keep trying again and again as they see their days are numbered. They damaged more lives than the virus ever would have. - Bel Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:03 pm

      Agree.

      Delete
    2. The independent review on the Uk response on covid may highlight some interesting issues

      Delete
    3. Traveller8:37 pm

      I disagree.

      Delete
  4. It was an awful time for those of us living on our own. My dad died alone in hospital in the first few weeks of lockdown. Going to his funeral with just 8 people and not being able to hug my mum or sister was and still is traumatic for me to think about. My dog was the only living thing I touched for months. You've written movingly a few times recently about those of us who do it all on our own and it gets me every time xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m doing something right then xx chin up xx

      Delete
  5. Barbara Anne3:37 pm

    It was a strange time and care still needed to taken. I, for one, have a compromised immune system.
    May you soon have someone you love in your bubble!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:58 pm

    I loved this.
    Not too sentimental
    Not feeling sorry for yourself.
    John you have the ability to see things and to observe the ordinary .
    Just remembering a time where your neighbour wasn't “ allowed” to help you carry a loved old pet but did so anyway

    I have something in my eye

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:01 pm

    Dearest Winnie...dearest John....hugs w/love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where many of us would have been without electronic contact is also sobering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A strange time indeed. I can't really complain as I have a husband, so lockdown wasn't lonely, but I wasn't able to see my first grandchild, born in June 2020, for several months. We did drive (shhhh... from a high tier town to a lower tier town) in December and sat in their front garden, socially distanced and frozen, just to see them. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all gave up things HH , And for the first time the government acknowledged the effect isolation had on singletons
      That seems to have gone by the by

      Delete
  10. I understand completely. My dog Koal passed away a year ago to the day. He had been looking very poor. I too am on my own and had to get a neighbor to come help me get him in the car, a ride that I knew he wouldn't be coming home from. The things people w/a partner, etc., don't even give a thought to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covid complicated my request to sailor John and sort of amplified it

      Delete
  11. Anonymous5:36 pm

    when my grandkids (if I ever have any )ask me what I did I will say I shopped for elderly people and had shouted conversations from my fold up chair through an open door. I was usually shouting as many couldn't hear. how I didn't get Covid till 2022 I will never know. I also worked in general practice. Our cat joined our zoom quizzes. fat lot of good he was too. strange times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lock down - you've raised some memories....I put myself forward to do my bit and work for NHS track & trace...I thought I'd be offering health advice but found myself reading from pre-prepared scripts and advising people they'd be fined £500 etc if they didn't follow the rules. Having worked for both a s3xual health service which involved contact tracing and also for a Public Health department, I can say that NHS track and trace was very much Public Health orientated and they didn't learn from people in s3xual health. Hey ho. That and disinfecting shopping. It was a very bleak time - globally. Still, meeting the lovely Chic Eleanor for coffee - it wasn't all bad! (oh, lucky man;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all seems a long time ago now…I was transported there very quickly though as my work over most of lockdown consisted of three to four nights every week during winter
      It was a grim time….made better of course by chic Eleanor

      Delete
  13. Wales and its new speed limit made the Canadian national news. The best part was seeing some footage of Wales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you wave at me ????

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:33 pm

      I would have waved
      I’m looking through some of your lockdown posts
      You did a great deal of zooms

      Keith

      Xx

      Delete
    3. I did Keith
      And it’s lovely that the habit has continued with several far flung friends

      Delete
  14. True friends and good neighbours can always be counted on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the lockdown inspired some of the best and some of the worst of human behavior. It was like finding precious little jewels when we had those moments of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think we are starting to develop a context about what we went through. R missed my family terribly, more so than I did and our quite heavy long lockdowns really affected him. Once we were past the early terrible fear of catching Covid, I actually didn't mind the daily routines that developed. Unfortunately my daily exercise long walking has fallen by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In one way or another, it was a difficult time for everyone. Will we have to do it again at some point? Zoom definitely provided some connection. Thank goodness. The lack of face-to-face contact with friends and larger family was very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think those of us who work in healthcare had a totally different lockdown than the "civilians"

    I remember the empty roads to work. The patients coming in for surgery and distrusting us (I live in a province that was quite anti-lockdown and vaccination) We were often accused of being disease carriers because we worked in hospitals.

    The doom and gloom radio music before the news on my drive to/from work.

    Envying people who were told to stay home and get paid. I was so tired of hearing about gardens being planted, the house cleaning that was being done, the closets being emptied.

    And five times a week, I would be going to work, not knowing who might be sick or just plain nasty. I was assaulted at work and wound up on light duties for part of 2020. By a patient who didn't believe in vaccinations or the disease.

    I saw my children as they were in our "bubble". My son's marriage ended because of his wife's fear of the disease.

    It was a strange time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You encapsulated all of those difficult things I did

      Delete
  19. So sad about Winnie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous2:06 am

    https://youtu.be/GJ-WjJz7Ti8?si=pnYwiHs3C1CSIGhz

    Winnie was lovely. Thought you might like a little Brahms. Cheers Rall.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a helluva way to have to deal with a dead dog. I'm glad your neighbor was able to help.

    Lockdown and covid were weird. It was easy to drive to work and I was jealous of people who got paid to stay home. We spent a lot of time worrying about hand sanitizer and having to deal with substitutions at work. Even now that continues on, we're out of chlorhexidine swabs for some reason. It was so strange walking into a grocery store and finding empty shelves. And the fear of my husband intubated or dying from covid was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really don't remember much about our lockdown. We were in France and the only difference it made to me was wearing a mask once a week when I did my shopping. I do remember that it was when the French stopped kissing or shaking hands.

    ReplyDelete
  23. weaver8:57 am

    'A good picture is worth a thousand words' - certainly true of that photo of 'darling Winnie' John.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was only three years ago but the time of COVID, lockdowns and fear seems like an age away - scenes from someone else's life and yes, our equivalent of wartime. Good job Charlie was not called Willie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous11:12 am

    Most of our lives are as mundane as yours, John, but you have simply the loveliest way of talking about it. It’s the first thing I read every single morning. Life in a small Welsh village. And I thank you for that and send my love from the East coast USA…

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous11:42 am

    My sweet husband died just before covid started, so thankfully I could be with him at the hospital every day.. I just had time to sort out his affairs, then boom, lockdown. I was alone with my dog for at least two years, seeing no one except a friend who would drop in about once every two weeks and we would sit across the room from each other feeling like naughty schoolgirls. I learned how to be happy with/by myself and really not much has changed since then. I used to be more outgoing and now I prefer my own company and of course my dog, she was probably what got me through the grief and loneliness. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  27. I flatout love your puppies. And cats.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes