Past Lives



 “In-yun” is the Korean belief that people in different lifetimes can have some sort of connection no matter how fleeting. Writer Nora ( Greta Lee) believes this as does her childhood boyfriend Hae Sung ( Teo Yoo) who she left in Korean after emigrating to Canada with her parents. 
Twelve years later the couple meet by accident on line and continue a sort of chasted , mutually intimate video link courtship until she again calls off the relationship citing it would be too long a time before they met.
Another 12 years later, Nora is living with her American writer husband in New York. Hae Sung visits them and amid much thoughts of “ In Yun what could have been” they finally go their separate ways.
Writer/ director Celine Song has crafted a gentle exploration of how change affects people, or not in the case of Hae Sung. Nora has changed her name, her culture and has a romantic job. She embraces the Hae Sung concept more than Hae Sung, the boy and man she left behind in so many ways.
It’s an interesting idea, spoilt a little by the lack of character substance, especially of Yoo’s character who is eclipsed by Nora’s Americanisation.

The film is unhurried, beautifully shot and thoughtful but I was left wanting more and receiving less
In the end, Nora’s self indulgence left me cold, and by the end of it , I was happy it was over.


8 comments:

  1. I have had a few chased relationships myself in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traveller11:38 am

    An excellent review…”wanting more and receiving less” - fab sum up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting subject for a film. It's a shame you felt it lacked something. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:05 pm

    I watched the trailer online after you mentioned this new movie - was somewhat disappointed. Guess after PACHINKO there is nothing that can be more stunningly beautiful from Korea. I so love that series……..and the book was awesome to read.
    Mary ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara Anne2:37 pm

    How interesting and I appreciate the review.
    About 2 years ago, a boy I'd dated in high school called on the phone just out of the blue. There was little common ground after a brief catch-up and it was somewhat creepy. Our sons were really creeped out by the call.

    Hugs!view.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting...maybe Nora's self-indulgence is supposed to leave you cold? I haven't seen it yet so I'm guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugh Jackman is getting divorced!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:50 pm

    Thanks for the review. I had wanted to see it and now am glad I decided to wait for it to stream somewhere. Lynn Ewing

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes