Parkinson



When I was twelve or so it was 1974
A time of beige and orange, Watergate and hijacked planes.
Disaster films and second year in secondary school.
My mother often babysat for my sister on Saturday nights so we went along too, not being picked up by my over-the-limit father when the Conservative Club rang last orders around eleven.
Parkinson would be on the tv before we left and even though I often had restless legs from being overtired I can remember his easy Yorkshire tones and his ability to make a guest feel at home.
Michael Parkinson was a journalist, so unlike his American counterparts who often knew their guests before their chat, he researched them forensically. 
He was calm and collected and very British in a David Niven like way and suddenly became a favourite with Hollywood stars and politicians alike, all of whom warmed to his character and Northern Ways.
I always enjoyed the natural storyteller guests, who were given space to perform their tales. Peter Ustinov, David Niven, Kenneth Williams, Peter Cook, Spike Milligan
Billy Connolly and Barry Humphrey came slightly later…..I remember them too….fondly.

Best of British Michael Parkinson …..Rest In Peace

19 comments:

  1. Another 'national treasure' bites the dust. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara Anne4:21 am

    Sorry for the loss of this favorite interviewer..

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:57 am

    I was saddened and a bit glum this morning as I heard of the death of Mr Parkinson. I loved his humour and his easy ability to draw out the stories of his guests. RIP sir, you were a very likeable chap.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  4. We remembered many of his programmes..a good half hour chat..as we saw the news last night. 5 News dedicated most of their programme to him. It isn't surprising that quite a few that he interviewed became friends

    ReplyDelete
  5. Athene6:00 am

    Likewise, I have happy memories of Saturday nights watching Parkinson, I was too young to know who most of the people were - Cab Calloway, David Niven, Lauren Bacall and of course Muhammad Ali. He always gave the impression of having enjoyed a relaxed dinner with his guests and then just sat down for a chat. A true professional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was never afraid to just let his guests talk. A true legend. Many have tried to emulate his style, none have succeeded. RIP Sir Michael. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. His shows were always on way past my bed-time (in that pre-video era) so never really caught them to understand why he was so popular. His two years as host on Desert Island Discs was unremarkable. Still, always sad to hear of any death, even if he did have a good long run.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Traveller8:05 am

    I remember Barry Sheene and Ralph Richardson - who knew that Richardson was a petrol head and loved motorbikes

    ReplyDelete
  9. His interview with George Michael was brilliant. His interview with Meg Ryan, cringeworthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't really familiar with him until recent years, and have enjoyed watching the old interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  11. His interviews with Muhammad Ali were legendary. He helped to show the world how sharp, funny, compassionate and intelligent that great boxer was.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked him a lot, especially around the time you recall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read that he had died but I must say I don't know him at all. Maybe I'll start by watching his George Michael and Meg Ryan interviews, as Andrew mentioned above. I'll get some good and bad that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:53 am

    John. I feel that you are at an inflection point. I have resisted ever posting this but when the prof (Chris) left I was shocked. Really and truly so. I’m posting this in yesterdays comments so as not to illicit comments. Do you remember when you took him to London for the ballet I think as a gift and he commented on his social media that he was in the nose bleed seats. Sorry 😞 t turned me off to him immediately. I know you miss the reality you imagined but your dogs are more real than he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a great deal of money on those tickets
      How sad he badmouthed them

      Hey ho

      Delete
    2. I find it weird that you followed his social media ? Why was that

      Delete
  15. weaver9:47 am

    Everyone liked him because he was a 'what you see is what you get' - no airs and graces - true Yorkshire. I put an obit on yesterday for him.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes