Wash Day

 It’s nearly 2.30 pm 
Time for writing and then a siesta 
I’ve been on the go since 8 am
Today’s blog is a chatty one, 
Nothing heavy, emotional or arch,
Just observations of a day of jobs.

First chore was dog showering.
This is the most onerous 
For it entails a certain amount of bulldog wrestling.
Now no matter how nonchalant I act Dorothy always knows what’s coming and for a solid and heavy bitch she can hide herself in the most surprising of places. This morning she managed to get into the lowest shelf of the bedroom bookshelf and I was sure she was holding her breath as I scanned the room for her. 
Dorothy hates showers.
Now that’s not entirely true as she hates getting wet and being washed but when I have to get the Fanny cloth out to give her tuppence the once over, she gently warms to the theme of the experience and embraces it totally. 
It’s just the thought of the shower she detests.
Now the Welsh love a hot shower. They would have one everyday if I left the shower door open. Their only negative is afterwards both will career around the cottage like loons, wetting bedclothes and furnishings in their wakes.
Today I didn’t mind as all the washing was done. Bedspreads, duvet cases, pillowcases and towels. All washed and hung on bushes, walls and the field gate to dry.




The ancient floorboards in my bedroom were swept and washed and left to dry, and I washed the carpet in the living room free of wet paw prints and doggy smells.
Underwear hung on the garden chairs

I cook linguine for lunch with a tiny bit of olive oil and Parmesan and drank tea as the mokka pot is soaking in the sink.
Then I water the patio planters by hand ( there are 47) and then the front garden basket and pots and lay the spare bed duvet on the front lawn to dry.
The cottage smells of detergent and honeysuckle 
The honeysuckle flowers have bloomed overnight around the front door 

And smell glorious .
Time for a kip in the armchair.
 

41 comments:

  1. Barbara Anne2:11 pm

    What a lot you accomplished today and that nap is well deserved.
    Love the fragrance of honeysuckle and am happy we have it growing on the other side of the driveway.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m working overtime tomorrow and coming home to a clean tidy home is a wonderful feeling . I;wonder where that motivation comes from

      Delete
  2. You make housecleaning sound like fun! Enjoy the freshness.
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s 8 pm and the sense of “ jobs all done” holds the same satisfaction of homework completed on a school night

      Delete
  3. Ah, the wonderful smell of honeysuckle. For me, it is always a smell that I associate with the beginning of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer evenings
      Just when it starts to chill and the slight moisture in the air carries the scent

      Delete
  4. What a picture of domestic bliss! Enjoy the snooze. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:53 pm

    I don’t mind giving my dog {coton de tulear} a bath, but she will not let me comb her out after. I now have to take her to the groomer once a month. I am too old to chase her in circles around the furniture. She LOVES a bath and I can’t say the word till its time to go out the door. Even if I were 20 years younger like you, I wouldn’t get half of what you can get accomplished in a day! You have a nice long kip, enjoy. GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonight will be a fragrant pleasure in bed

      Delete
  6. Anonymous4:21 pm

    47 made me laugh! I immediately thought of Ruth and Frederick in the Pirates of Penzance 'Oh False one! You have decieved me!
    At least your garden pots are much more chilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t quite understand this comment

      Delete
  7. Laundry dried in the sun smells wonderful! Hope your nap was peaceful and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t have one in the end ….I made sushi rice and cooked broad beans in garlic and soy to have together in a cold salad tomorrow, before doing overtime

      Delete
  8. Anonymous4:33 pm

    What a busy day. Loved your description of Dorothy hiding. Have a well deserved nap. Congrats on the counseling course, was not able to publish a comment on it. Love your blog, noreen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has several pre shower/ bath hiding places
      The immersion cupboard, under the spare bed and once in the garden under the weeping laburnum

      Delete
  9. I don't know how you do it all John - You must have a mop up your arse to complete that vast amount of tasks - ( if I may be so crude ) - You should be so satisfied with what you achieved x 🍽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot settle to anything unless. The crap has been sorted

      Delete
    2. I wish I was like that - I just throw myself down in the midst of all the detritus x 🕸😏

      Delete
  10. I’m lying on my trendy blue sofa awaiting The Repair Shop with a large gin
    I’m knackered

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joan (Devon)7:34 pm

    I take it you don't have any to spare. Well, enjoy your gin anyway, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m on my second , The sewing Bee is on tv

      Delete
  12. Hope it was a good long nap

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:06 pm

    Sounds fabulous at your place.. can I book a room in the west wing? Libs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime . I cleaned the west wing’s spare bedroom today , it’s not now smelling of albert

      Delete
  14. I would have loved to see a picture of Dorothy hiding on the bottom shelf.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could just see the whites of her eyes

      Delete
  15. No pics of your knickers on the patio chairs? LOL

    Seriously, like Jim, I would love to see Dorothy hiding in the shelves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could send you some ( knickers on the chairs )

      Delete
  16. You've had a busy but very rewarding day. Having a fresh clean home is so enjoyable. Clean dogs makes everything doubly good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was surprised you had the need to comment on the ablution preferences of your countryfolk until I realised you were talking about the dogs! For a split second I had a vision of the village lining up to use your shower!
    -Caro

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahahahahaha, "tuppence" -- we don't have that slang word in Canada but it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Honeysuckle is HUGE, I can imagine the scent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. After all that, you more than deserve that armchair kip.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Diane7:54 am

    Loved the washing drying on the bushes,remembering my childhood days 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know we all have good days and bad days but when I read your blog I have to admit that I often envy the life you lead.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to see photos of your knickers … on the patio chairs. I don’t know anyone who dries their laundry the way you do.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes