A field of Dreams

The gravedigger has arrived to open up Auntie Glad’s family grave . It’s her funeral tomorrow. The weather is foul, but village elder Islwyn ( our unofficial gravedigger) is hopeful the sun will be shining
She deserves that much, he said simply..

And so I think it’s fitting giving this blog entry an airing again. I was remembering Gladys as she should be remembered and it’s from a post written , about an event I held in the village over fifteen years ago  now.





A " Field Of Dreams " Moment

My family often nag me to amalgamate the better parts of Going Gently into some sort of bestselling paperback. The Prof says whimsy sells, and I guess he is right given the plethora of " heartwarming" and " uplifting" tales of life changing encounters middle aged pongos like myself experience when lifestyles change and temple hair is lightening from brunette to a gentle grey.
On the way to the panto the other night, my sister remembered what I call a " Field of Dreams" moment which she said would be a " Satisfying " denouement to the chapter where two middle aged gays first moved into a tight knit Welsh village!
Nine years ago, I held my very first " allotment open evening" It was on the back of similar open evenings my sister organised at her own town allotment, where friends and family had the opportunity to survey her vegetable beds, have tea and cake and make a contribution of a charity of her choice.
My first allotment open was a small affair, but it was important to me as I left several hopeful posters around the village inviting everyone to attend. Attendance by the Trelawnyd-ites meant everything and as the 6 pm opening deadline loomed close, My sister remembered me gazing up the lane in a sudden downpour of summer rain, worried that no one would come.

I should not have worried ...for the " Field Of Dreams " moment arrived as powerfully as anything ever seen in a sentimental movie or tv series! the only thing that was bloody lacking was a sudden swelling of a musical score, for at exactly 6 pm and valiantly led by Auntie Glad hidden underneath an oversized umbrella, a long line of village characters weaved their way down the Church lane from the main road and towards the field to support the event.

It was a real Hollywood moment amid the wet grass and Slightly damp Victoria sponges.

Perhaps, my sister was right. It is these kind of moments balanced with the sadness of those normal life dramas that make a story readable and accessible to all. Light and froth peppered with emotional romps......perhaps that is the formula..

And I will always remember Auntie Glad nodding her head at me, with those sparking blue eyes, eager and interested, as she passed by that evening

“Good Evening Mr Gray!” She trilled “ I told you I would come “

I cannot think of a time she let anyone down

61 comments:

  1. What a splendid lady Auntie Glad was. I get the feeling she was the power that rallied the troops to come to your open event. She will be sadly missed in your village. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only did she rally the troops that day, she supported most events in the village with alacrity

      Delete
  2. Barbara Anne2:12 pm

    Ah, it would be seeing one of my quilts hanging in a quilt show and hearing many compliments about the pattern, the fabrics, and the workmanship. I walked on a cloud for quite some time thereafter!

    Odd repetition in the blog format today. I wonder why?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please proofread, John. You have repasted what you copied from a past posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just have done Marcia, I was rushing to take a neighbour to the hospital

      Delete
    2. Does it matter? Do you think John has unlimited time to proof read everything he writes on HIS blog?
      Maybe you should try just reading without the sharp comments!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful story and a wonderful memory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:02 pm

    and now she will live on in all your memories. As I have told you so many times too - get that paperback sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Auntie Glad was a force of nature. A rare, one-of-a-kind, much loved, very kind individual. As a very knowing person, she led others in all the right ways. Cheers to Auntie Glad, RIP. I agree, real life stories portraying the ups and downs, surprises and calamities of life are good reads. You have all the life experience to produce a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunshine is forecast for tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful morning walking alongside the coastal path inside the fields with my dogs - Suddenly my top dog terrier decided he had other ideas and about turned and raced back up a hill - I had try to run another way to catch him before he got himself in danger - I waited at the bottom of the other hill desperately not knowing - and then over the hill my beloved lookalikie scampered towards me x🐺 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please remove me John - I don't know why I commented this x 🙊

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:55 pm

      How is this relevant to the passing of a dearly loved lady?

      Delete
  9. Traveller3:27 pm

    “Trilled” what a lovely word

    A fitting trip

    ReplyDelete
  10. Auntie Glad. I never met her and yet, I will never forget her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully told, heartwarming, and deeply touching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful memory, I remember the original post well.

    Yes, she deserves a sunny day, but sometimes the world is sad to let go of a special person and the heavens open in sadness. I hope it goes well for her family and friends. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:11 pm

    That last sentence should be on her tombstone, JanF

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember this. A fond memory of Auntie Glad. I hope her funeral goes well tomorrow and the rain holds off. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had a clever idea to let your neighbors get to know you, John.
    How nice to have such good memories of Auntie Glad. It's what we all hope for after we die.

    ReplyDelete
  16. weaver7:21 pm

    I have told you countless times John - get proof reading and submitting - you are so readable

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful, would be we could all have someone who loves us so. Yes, Mr. Gray , she loved you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yorkshire Liz7:42 pm

    We all need an Auntie Glad in our lives. Not everyone is as lucky. And that is why so many of us relish your tales about her, and will also miss her, and photos of her scones! If it rains for the funeral, heaven will be shedding tears of joy to have her coming home. No problem. But to see this old blog post repeated indicates what others are saying: for coroner's sake, start work on your manuscript!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll write about tomorrow to be sure x and thank u

      Delete
  19. Gone a bit weepy! Write the book....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, if you don't want to write the book.
      Sell your blog and it's ideas to the BBC and we can watch it play out and many others on television . Would make a great series.

      Delete
    2. Re "LoL perhaps", and I may have said similar before, getting published the conventional route nowadays probably requires getting an agent first, but having a popular blog would certainly help. The Writers & Artists Yearbook is the place to look for agents but you may need perseverance and a very thick skin. There are endless stories of hugely successful authors whose work was initially rejected dozens of times. Self-publishing is free and easy, but a difficult arena to succeed in, although again, you have a ready market in many blog visitors. I've published both ways - quite successfully by the conventional route, less successfully by the self-publishing route. But I'd say only do it if you are truly driven to do it - it's hard graft, not a quick and easy path to riches.

      Delete
    3. I Think I have other goals at the mo xxx

      Delete
  20. Terrill10:01 pm

    You’ve brought to my mind a couple lines from the poem “Leuchtenden Tage” ( Shining Days). “Don’t cry because they are over, Smile because they have been.” Reading this I have tears both sad and happy because it seems she graced so many with her life; and that is truly beautiful. How fortunate it must have been to know her.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've tried to leave a comment twice and couldn't. Oddest thing. My field of dreams moment? A marriage imploded. I was sitting on the back steps smoking a cigarette looking up and the night sky and just feeling totally lost. Had no idea how I was going to put things back together. I had three children. I was just sick. I looked up at the sky, at all the stars, the big moon and suddenly, in the middle of all that uncertainty came an unexpected joy. I was free. There was the realization that I was, for the first time, free. Totally free. What happened next was for me to choose and there was such a rush of gratitude for that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope that Gladys's funeral is a lovely, memorable one no matter how the weather turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous12:07 am

    I remember the original post and the successful allotment open day, R.I.P Auntie Glad ..Tweetart

    ReplyDelete
  24. I too remember that original post. Lovely memory of Aunty Glad. Hope the rain holds for the funeral but if not as others have said heavens tears for a lovely lady.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  25. She had leadership qualities you don't find in CEOs.
    I'm sure the funeral will be utterly exhausting and lovely as well. As it should be

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous1:32 am

    What a beautiful memory….so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing your wonderful friend with us. Godspeed, Auntie Glad.
    --Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous2:43 am

    Aunt Glad is home with the Lord and with all those she has lost and missed and gone before. It makes it somehow bearable when they leave us. Thanks for letting us know her. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an amazing moment and what a wonderful lady! She seems to have been the heart of the village. "Eager and interested" and not letting people down. We could all do with Auntie Glad to rally the troops.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So touching. How blessed you were to have had her in your life as friend and neighbor. And how blessed you are to have her in your heart forever.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for reposting the allotment opening story. Such heartwarming memories. It occurs to me that while so many of us wish for an Auntie Glad in our lives, we probably should be trying to be the Auntie Glad of others....

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous12:45 am

    Had to look up the bread. Sounds yum. Hope you have a Happy Holiday. Kathy near Chicago

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes