Auntie Gladys ….we overcome the wind

 


When you die at 103, most of your peers have already passed away
That’s the price you pay for longevity I guess.
With the choir , I counted around 100 people at Llanasa’s pretty church this afternoon. 
Too many to have been accommodated at St. Michael’s
What I didn’t know was the Auntie Glad wanted her service to be in the bigger church.
As her daughter Rene shared with the congregation , it was because she didn’t want anyone to stand outside in the rain.

There was no rain today, indeed we had bright spring sunshine for the duration, and as the male voice choir softly sang Abide With Me , the sun shone brightly through the stained windows of the little Norman Church, giving the whole place a sense of if not cheerfulness, but of warmth.

The Trelawnyd-ites were there early. Rowenna, Christine the old Church warden, Jenny the old postmistress. Animal Helper Pat, Irene,Heulwen, Derek and Me from the Flower Show. Mrs Trellis and others all sat straight in our pews and let the singing wash over us like a wave.
I’ve not heard better singing at a funeral, and I doubt I will hear the such again, and as Auntie Glad’s feather light coffin left the Church, the Choir almost whispered O Iesu Mawr to accompany her home.
We all nodded at her coffin as it passed.

Rene, Glady’s daughter who lives in England seems to have inherited much of  her chutzpah from her mother, and she gave a long, lovely Eulogy, even mentioning my blog as a welcomed source of village information. 

The afternoon tea in the village hall afterwards was pure Gladys too.
A selection of sandwiches, scones with thick butter and lashings of strong tea.
I gave my goodbyes earlyish as I needed to write the blog before leaving for college tonight. 
And before I left for my classes, I walked over to Gladys’ grave to look at her family flowers as the sun cooled towards dusk.
Islwyn had left the grave pin perfectly neat , and as I sat I listened to my Spotify account this piece of music was playing in my ears.
Nothing welsh , or traditional , or even sad, just a uplifting African based piece of choral work Waloyo Yamoni ( We Overcome The Wind) and for ten minutes or so I sat on Auntie Glad’s favourite bench and let the music wash over me as I had my second but-not-so-unhappy weep of the week.








66 comments:

  1. Traveller5:50 pm

    Lovely tribute John.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveller10:54 am

      Easy to write because you cared about her and you are a good writer.

      Delete
  2. Barbara Anne5:50 pm

    What a lovely send-off for dear, sweet Auntie Gladys. I'm do happy she is just across the lane from your cottage
    My sympathy to all.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as idyllic as a funeral can be. Thank you for the update John. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful farewell and tribute to Aunty Glad, with a great turnout. RIP Aunty Glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m touched so many here have paid tribute

      Delete
  5. I'm glad your goodbye to your friend was what she would have hoped for x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:09 pm

    A lovely lady laid to rest.

    Your second weep of the week? What was the first one about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a long story and not one for the blog

      Delete
  7. I have tears in my eyes, and I only knew Auntie Glad from your blog. She certainly made a lasting impression on your village. Rest peacefully Auntie Gladys. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Godspeed auntie Gladys you were loved even from afar.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad it went well. I know just what you mean about a choir whispering, and O Iesu Mawr was perfect. I'm sure she would have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yorkshire Liz7:44 pm

    Thank you for posting asap afterwards so we could all share the experience. A long life well lived indeed. The world needs more Auntie Glad's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed, and there are indeed plenty around , we just need to meet them

      Delete
  11. It was a wonderful afternoon to remember a wonderful lady, loved by so many, past and present. Au revoir Aunty Glad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:15 pm

    Magnifique !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:17 pm

    Magnifique !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder if Aunty Gladys may visit you occasionally John - in Spirit xx 💐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will others to visit first me thinks

      Delete
  15. Anonymous8:27 pm

    I also only *knew* Aunty Glad through your blog but it seems as though she was full of love, and was much loved in return. I know she will be missed. Goodbye Aunty Glad, rest well
    Susan M

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad the day was bright with spring sunshine and a sense of warmth enveloped the Church, a bit reminiscent of the warmth Auntie Gladys freely shared with so many. Thank you for sharing your Auntie Gladys stories and memories, immeasurably multiplying her impact of goodness in your village and literally around the globe. Although many of us were not fortunate to meet Auntie Gladys face-to-face, we will never forget her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure , like me, her other friends and family will be grateful for those words

      Delete
  17. I hope your Gladys Mary is somewhere special - perhaps with my dear mum who was also Gladys Mary . . . . .and made good scones too!
    The service sounded lovely - glad the sun was was shining.
    Mary in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too , it’s a nice thought

      Delete
  18. Through your blog I "knew" her. Thank you. And thank you for writing about her funeral too as it only seems fitting that we should attend through Going Gently.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous9:56 pm

    Why did you mention that Rene lives in England ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt I had to explain that Rene said she gets village news from Going Gently

      Delete
  20. It sounds like a fitting send off for Gladys who many readers will feel they almost knew personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m rather moved that you say that Andrew x

      Delete
  21. Even when contemplating death, she was thinking of others. That says it all really.
    Thanks for including us, John

    ReplyDelete
  22. SurJay10:40 pm

    Thank you for this post John. Aunty Gladys was an amazing lady.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aunty Glad, what a life she lived. Good blog, John.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well written and so well done John. Over here with misty eyes and memories of Aunty Glad thanks to your blog and wonderful memories of her. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well she’s remembered as she should be x

      Delete
  25. A long life lived well. Rest easy Aunty Glad.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous12:41 am

    Hers was a life well lived .. I'm happy I got to know her through your blog and I'll remember her fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hers was a life well lived .. I am happy I got to know her through your blog and I'll remember her fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  28. If the aged rejoice - it is well. Goodbye Aunty Glad. You made the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for sharing her with all of us over the years and this final part of her journey. Peace and light to all.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful, big-hearted woman she was. Thoughtful to the last, and now at peace in her village churchyard. Thank you for sharing her funeral, and especially the "O Iesu Mawr" which must have been so moving. I'm glad she's nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The best funerals are of those who mean the most to us. It sounds as if you all gave her a fond farewell.

    ReplyDelete
  32. "It is well" indeed, and you lifted your heart to celebrate her life!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so grateful to have gotten to know Aunty Gladys in my own way through you. What a perfect song to honor her.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So glad that Aunty Glad had a good send-off and the fact so many people were there says everything about the wonderful person she was. A life lived well.

    ReplyDelete
  35. A wonderful send off for a good woman.
    The music is truly glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Take care of yourself and your neighbors, she would have wanted you to.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hearts overflowing into tears.

    ReplyDelete
  38. weaver4:12 pm

    Beautiful music John - brought tears to my eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
  39. My original comment seems to have been deleted John. I said something like ... Your post made me very teary. I'm glad the rain stayed away for the funeral.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes