A Walk Around The Village

I checked my landline answerphone yesterday . 
Eight messages since New Year’s Eve 
I never use the phone now except when I call Nigel . 
His home phone blocks incoming mobile calls
Four silent entries, 2 spam, and one from covid help line about my fourth jab.
The final message was a passive aggressive message from Mrs Davies in the village asking if I was alive or not . She said she had not seen me in months and wished me happy new year. 
She’s lonely and had probably fallen out with her son again , so I harnessed Mary and called round to say hello.
Luckily she was out , so I left a note saying hello and apologising for my absence stating I will work full time ( with college) 
I doubt I’ll be forgiven

It was cold and blustery, but the weather did us both good and we had a proper mooch around the village, something I haven’t done in a good while, not with Dorothy hating a walk near the main road. We walked around Bron Haul and I waved at Marion who still delights to share how her gay grandson is doing. No one else was about until we got to High Street where I spied Jo with her three whippets disappearing into her driveway. One of her dogs only has three legs but I never can tell when they are all together. 

We could go up High Street towards the “ posh Houses” on the side of the Gop but as it has started to rain Mary led me into Maes Offa , and down into Byron Street where I spied Mrs Trellis busy polishing her windows from the inside. The lights were on at affable Jason’s neat little  house too, but I couldn’t see anyone to wave at through the small symmetrical windows.
We walked past the dark lMemorial Hall as it rained harder and Mary stopped briefly to give me a look. 
We then crossed the road into Well Street which looked deserted. 
The cheerful Manleys, Velvet voiced Linda with Nick, Bridget and Boffin Cameron all live nearby but again we saw now one when we gave the Pond a once over. 
It looks splendid with its new little jetty and sympathetic planting even in the bad weather.
Mary had a wee next to the well, which reminded me that we need to look at an official opening day
I have so much to do 
Why don’t I ever feel as though I’ve got enough time?
Answers on a postcard please?
We walked back towards home, and Mary quickened her pace, half closing her eyes in the rain
Wendy from Rhoda Arthur waved from her car as did Della driving back from Pen y Cefn Isa 
We stopped briefly to shelter under the Church Lytchgate. 
It looks bare as the massive wrought iron gates still have not been returned from being repaired
I reminded myself to ask about them when I saw Islwyn next. 
Before we left for the cottage and the fire 
I checked on my laburnum , now stripped of its leaves but remaining healthy and strong.
The rain lashed down from the West just after we got home so hard that I had to put a sock in the letterbox to stop the draught bursting into the living room.




44 comments:

  1. I am smiling at the very different us of a phrase that is familiar to me 'Put a sock in it'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that walk blew away a few cobwebs! I love walking in the rain and wind but have to put cotton balls in my ears to stop earache. Nothing nicer than walking on a beach on a windy wet day watching the white caps dancing. Invigorating!

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs want to run in the wind and welsh terriers never return when off their leads

      Delete
  3. Thanks for taking us with you one the Grand Tour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely walk even with the wind and rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara Anne5:10 am

    I feel like I've had a good exercise before saying Good Niight! It was a delight to walk with you and Mary despite the rain.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. Passive aggressive people! Your 'luckily she was out' caused me to burst out laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for that. Trelawnyd sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely walk despite the cold rain.
    Tii=kToc can be a huge time waster?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a moochy walk when no-one's about, but preferably not in the cold and wet! Thanks for taking us with you, and chatting with us. Time to hunker down now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be nice to see some photos of the pond...when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed the village walk. It's so "grounding" to walk around our neighbourhoods and feel close to everyone. Even if mine is not as attractive as your village.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have reminded me of the Sundays we used to put a casserole in the oven, then go for a long blustery walk and come home to the wonderful smell of a meal cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A good walk. Say Hi to the cheerful Manley's when you see them...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed that little walk round. Your writing is very descriptive( as usual). I used to enjoy a walk round any time of year when I visited my friend who lived in Machynlleth. Its all forestry land up that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Llareggub in daylight!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Mary just may be your personal assistant John - Regarding the time thingy - I believe it is because you live such a busy full interesting life x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder if that's where the expression “Put a sock in it” comes from.

    Landline? Answerphone. You're so 20th century.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "I have so much to do. Why don’t I ever feel as though I’ve got enough time?" Because you take on so much. But that's just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous1:12 pm

    I love a walk around the neighbourhood with no real purpose in mind. Calming and mindful. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yorkshire Liz1:31 pm

    You never feel you have enough time because you are both conscientious and think more about other people than yourself. One of my little rescue dogs has panic attacks when he can't find anything to worry about. Sound familiar?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Activities expand to fill the time available. I still have a handline. It comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught up on paperwork last night , hopefully more tonight when it goes quiet

      Delete
  22. I enjoyed that nice tour of your village. I often walk around my neighborhood but I don't know everyone as you do. I still always smile and say hello to anyone I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved walking around the streets more in Sheffield as you could see the front rooms clearer

      Delete
  23. I guess not your wank sock x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expevt John's walking socks are in the wash x

      Delete
    2. I’m not going there children

      Delete
  24. I enjoyed the walk around your village too, perhaps more than Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It sounds like you had the village to yourself. Walking in the wind and rain usually keeps people inside. I hope your rain gear kept you dry. A warm coffee must have been great once home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s still miserable and dark and wet at the moment I’ve just woken up

      Delete
  26. Poor sock -what a come-diwn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t believe the sick is getting the attention

      Delete
  27. You must have a socking great letterbox...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful writing, so vivid. Thanks for taking us with you.
    Enough time...well, yes, your mind is always planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always something else to do

      Delete
  29. Was a cold clear day here. Out on a hike with a friend across high hills and forest. Out from 9am - 4pm, we visited three ancient churches en route and put in at a local hostelry for lunch. My feet are aching and having slipped and fallen on ground wet and muddy from a nearby spring am in need of a bath. I find that whether it's a rural walk or a saunter in the rain up a high street with the dogs, it's always good to get out and walk and meet people - it's so good for your mental health. Enjoyed your description of a walk around Trelawnyd on a blustery day. I think if I lived there I'd try to take the dogs up onto the Gop every day - wind and weather permitting of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You put me to shame , I need to get fitter P xx

      Delete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes