Checking The Boundary


 I’m not sure what I’m all about today.
It’s a nothing day as I’m back on nights. This time doing my own and not a colleague’s who had been delayed in the beautiful looking Sicily. 
I’m mourning my cancelled trip to Italy and will organise one as soon as I can afford it .

I’m sat at the kitchen table and the almond milk in my bucket of coffee has curdled. 
The oven is purring and I’m going to be making soup soon
Butternut squash, bean and chilli 
I can hear pawsteps from the bathroom
Soon Roger will jog purposefully through the kitchen and into the garden. He will do a figure of eight around the paths, give a half woof at the gate, then will watch the blackbirds or a sparrow for a while, or the bantam cockerel who still lives in the gardens west of the Church before bouncing back to the kitchen. He will stop for a head rub before sitting in the sunny spot on the living room carpet with the others. 
An hour or so later he will be off on his rounds if I haven’t gathered the troops first. 
Checking each room upstairs , before walking through the cottage and garden.
He does his rounds checking the safely of his home.

I change the radio from a depressing talk radio to the relative cheerfulness of radio 2 ( Tom Chaplin Overshoot) and I add bulbs of garlic to the roasting butternut squash. I can see crumbs lurking defiantly on the work tops. Peeking out from behind knife blocks, underneath trivets, and my Italian Moka maker.
They tease me everyday even though I damp dust everywhere each day.

The home phone has just rung. It never rings anymore. 
A scam call from Microsoft. 
I asked the call handler if his mother was proud of what he did for a living
He hung up on me
I didn’t feel any better for my comment. 

I don’t feel sad today. Just a bit flat 
Do you know the flat place where your mind wanders like a fat bee on a buddliea bush.
I wonder what my ex husband is doing. I miss him.
Then I tell myself off for feeling lonely before adding stock cubes and more water to the simmering soup 
The cottage suddenly smells of food and Dorothy ambles in sucking her gums hopefully.

It’s almost two now. 
I chase the aforementioned crumbs with a damp cloth, 
Added the roasted squash to the soup and put it on slow simmer.
And fiercely washed my face at the kitchen sink using the Molton Brown handwash Nigel had given me
It smells so go I may use it in the shower later.

Roger has just trotted out into the garden again
His home is safe and he’s content it is with a satisfied snort 

Belinda Carlisle’s True Heaven Is A Place On Earth is playing on the radio.

I ladled the soup, which I thickened with udon noodles minutes ago
It was bloody , BLOODY lovely 



53 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:13 pm

    Loved reading all your thoughts for the day and found it all comforting - a lovely normal person.
    Roger's routine sounds just like Rachel's Firecat.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a common cat behaviour , they walk, sometimes miles , to cover their boundaries

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a good pottering day, which can stay good if that old maudlin mood doesn't descend. Knowing that Roger has checked the defences and passed them as being okay, and that the butternut squash soup will be comfortingly garlicky will make everything okay with the world. Who's cares what ex is doing ... he hasn't got any of your soup to look forward to!!

    Oh, and as for those crumbs, make sure you get every last one with your damp wipe ... you know that they bread faster than Roger can patrol the kitchen. There WILL be some more by tomorrow even if you don't have any bread today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I can talk a lot of nothing about Nothing

      Delete
  4. A just ticking over day... sometimes I feel a bit empty after a really good day.
    I love Roger doing his rounds. Making sure home is safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empty is a good description my friend

      Delete
  5. Anonymous1:18 pm

    Although your blog wasn't about much today it was one of your best as it really captured the day. It spoke to what people feel sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love reading your thoughts ! So you get scam calls too? I get at least 12 a day . Wish I could say to them what you did , but sadly there are no live people on the other end !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get more scam calls than anything else. I cannot remember the last proper call I had

      Delete
    2. In Australia we have a government "Do not call" register, it blocks cold calls except from registered charities.

      Delete
  7. Autumn is soup time alright. I made minestrone the other day. Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a fav of mine , a bit watery

      Delete
    2. Not watery the way I make it, LOL! Almost like a veggie stew with pasta!

      Delete
  8. Barbara Anne1:33 pm

    Ta for havine us in to visit! It feels like I've been loking over your shoulder for a while, enjoying Roger's passing by en routher hither, thither, or yon and the snuffles of the girls in the sunshine on the rug.
    Hope tonight is pleasant.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The soup sounds delicious and perfect for a Fall day. Sweet Roger is definitely home and he loves his fortress. You've made a lovely home JG. Home sweet home means everything. Just another day with many more to come. The ebb and flow of life. I ask often, "What surprises are ahead?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending hugs John.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very familiar and comforting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we all have days like these

      Delete
  12. I think everyone has a flat day at times, when nothing seems quite right and enthusiasm is lacking. On my flat or sad days I remind myself "This too, shall pass." Good boy Roger, checking the estate and making sure all is well. With the dogs and Albert in your corner, all's well with the world. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely stream of consciousness post, it truly painted a word picture of your morning. Tho--why do you not sleep if working nights again? And my jaw literally dropped open when you said you miss exDH. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS the soup sounds magnificent! Do you add beans? Squish it all up w an emersion blender or is it a chunky soup?

      Delete
    2. I use a hand blender
      The noodles I left whole

      Delete
  14. Oh, John. It sounds like a 'farting around' day. Kurt Vonnegut spoke highly of them, claimed we were made to fart around. I posted it today. Melancholy, perhaps, but in the end, you set it right with a warm bowl of homemade soup. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have so many days like this one from the feeling flat to the crumb chasing to making soup as much for the pleasure of the making as for the eating.
    We had a cat once who made daily trips around the perimeter of the property, always checking to make sure that all was secure. He did this even into his dotage when he could barely see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a more common behaviour of cats than dogs

      Delete
  16. Beautifully written, a gentle day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nothing kind of day. I’m getting ready for work now

      Delete
  17. I shall ask the next phone scammer that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I shouldn’t of but when I had sex callers in Samaritans I said the same thing

      Delete
    2. As a onetime Samartin, I don't know which I found harder, the sex callers or the poor sods with mental health issues. Soup sounds delicious.

      Delete
    3. Yes the mental health call s could be draining

      Delete
  18. I've had that kind of day as well - although not as well written. x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Empty is an out of nowhere gut wrench pulling sense for me - It's ok because I look at my dogs they are content and happy - My thatch has had a wonderful time today digging for moles x 🍄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet he was dirty as hell after that

      Delete
    2. Just his sweet nose John x 🐽

      Delete
  20. Maybe it's my poor eyesight (as no-one else has commented) but what on earth is the 'thing' lying above your soup bowl? It looks like a huge black bumble bee . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:32 pm

      It’s my plastic sunflowers

      Delete
  21. In terms of the writing, I enjoyed this post. It's like the gradual unwinding of a lazy day when not much happens. We all have days like that. Too much time to think.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have such a gift of words. It is so calming and pleasing to hear you describe your time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I find days like that so hard. Sometimes they feel quiet and enjoyable and others they just make me feel a bit down. Your description made me feel as if I were there too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know that flat place. Good Roger is there to make sure all is safe and secure. You can make my soup any time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous11:51 am

    Your comment to the scammer made me laugh! That soup looks absolutely delicious. Fully hear you re: days like that. My feeling is Mr Rights just waiting for your stars to align and they are getting closer each day. What are your plans for next year? Siciliy.... Louise

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love posts like this on anyone's blog...there's something that binds us all in the minutiae of our daily existence.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes