Chatty Cathy


Bluebell tells be its 95 degrees in old money 
Which is too hot by anyone’s money


Constance

It’s been almost 30 degrees here yesterday and just too hot for bulldogs outside.
This will be a “ Chatty Cathy” kind of blog today.
I took the dogs for an early walk and that will be it until tonight after dusk.
For those that remember Constance ( my first rescue bulldog) they may recall that she died walking on only a mildly warm day. She was an old dog, who had health issues , but the heat could well have been a factor in her death and I will never take that chance again, never

I couldn’t get off to sleep so found a Valium tablet left over from my husband’s  nervous flyer days in the medicine box and slept the sleep of the dead until it was ready for work. I  took magnum ice creams in for day and night staff when I came on duty as a bit of a morale booster and as the hospice has no air con in the patient areas we have set up fans throughout the building corridors which now has a cooling rush of breeze about them.
I am reminded of the convent in Black Narcissus 
It’s all very comfortable if a little breezy.

I was due to collect Roger tomorrow , but it is a long drive to Alfreton and I just knew his breeder would cancel because of the heat . I’ve provisionally rearranged for the 1st of August. She describes him as “ Smart but cuddly”
Now I have five days off……part time status is hitting home just a little. 
Whooooo hooooo

I’ve enrolled in the counselling course which starts in September and have sent all the paperwork off as well as the fees so that’s another box ticked. 
The rest of the week has been organised with my typical and no doubt irritating detail
Choir returns tomorrow , Wednesday it’s Ness Gardens for a mooch and lunch with a friend and Thursday Ive got tickets to the filmed version of Jodie Comer’s hit play Prima Facie 
Friday my sister and I are going to the Grovensor Park Open Air Theatre to see Little Women which will be frothy fun all told.





39 comments:

  1. I bet the fans you mentioned were chanting, "One Johnny Gray! There's only one Johnny Gray!" God, it would been awful for Roger to travel all that way in a very hot car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some exciting developments in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Constance, a short life but i am sure a happy one, with a somewhat dramatic poeric ending. We look forward to your new arrival. Keep cool friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a massive character but an old suck girl when she came to me

      Delete
  4. The heat and the train strikes are affecting so many of our plans and routines at the moment. I am hoping that it will be cooler soon as am going on holiday. Your pets are well looked after with their early morning and evening walks.

    I was taken to hospital during a hot spell once. Another patient said "we knew you were very ill when the Sister put a fan by your bed". Hope that hospice buildings can be upgraded to cope with the change in heat. Poor patients and staff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fans we positioned ,around the patient area certainly helped

      Delete
  5. It sounds like good plans for midsummer, not too frantic. Ihope you have fun despite what is hot weather for you. An unairconditioned hospice must be hellish, good you no longer have to be swaddled head to toe in plastic and masks.//Dogs & hot temps are difficult. I have a pug and he must not exert if over 80 degrees; hot pavement at higher temps can burn dogs' feet too. But the problem is---they want to go out! They have no understanding of ''too hot''.Walkies is the highlight of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I took the girls to a shaded local river early this morning where Dorothy happily waded into the cool water.
      Mary was having non of it

      Delete
    2. So proud! Who knew bulldogs could swim!

      Delete
  6. A shame about Roger, but it will be better for him to stay put while it's so hot. Meeting the gang and coping with the heat would be a lot of stress! It takes a while to get used to part-time work, doesn't it? Wait till you retire! It took me ages to stop looking at the clock and thinking what I'd be doing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the patient rooms open out onto the garden
      Which will help with the breeze from the sea

      Delete
    2. Most of the patient rooms open out onto the garden
      Which will help with the breeze from the sea

      Delete
    3. HH this is your reply
      I just knew his breeder would cancel , I know her well. And I don’t blame her. Taking a new puppy is hard for the puppy

      Delete
  7. So much oppressive heat in your environs and I always forget about the lack of air conditioning. Can’t imagine how uncomfortable it must be at the hospice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certain parts of it can be terribly warm, something that the patients often hardly notice .
      When in need ( when I’ve had to much Ppe) I go into our drug room which is cooled

      Delete
  8. Your week sounds interesting - love Chester and Grosvenor Park.
    Are you still going to Stiges ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes booked on the 6th, just 2 nights

      Delete
    2. I am Anne. I live in Mid Wales. I live alone.
      I too worked in nursing ( now retired ) and have been a Samaritans volunteer You and your blog give me pleasure, not only for memories but also for living now .
      I am doing things now I I haven't done before - theatre / opera + solo holidays / trips.
      You inspire me !!

      Delete
  9. Stay cool, enjoy the days off. And soon a puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always best to take caution in the high heat. I find early mornings cooler and any tasks involving the outdoors are done at this time. July and August can be very hot in Massachusetts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cottage has stone walls 15 inches + thick
      That cools the interiors naturallly

      Delete
  11. I am spoiled by my air conditioning on these hot days. I cringe when I imagine what my electric bill with be at the end of this month! But I can't stand the heat!
    Enjoy your outings and time off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My compatriots on nights last night put me to shame one went sea swimming t0day the other went to the pub on his bike

      Delete
  12. Well, this beautiful Monday morning in S. Colorado is looking at a temperature of 100° today ... any rain would be a blessing to cool it down a bit!
    Everyone try to stay as cool as you can and do stay hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you in America are already used to big temperatures…we are lightweights in comparison

      Delete
  13. We just came out of the movies and it was 99º F outside. An air-conditioned cinema was definitely the place to be. We may go again tomorrow!

    I don't blame you for waiting to pick up Roger. That post about Constance was heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawarden , just around the corner has recorded record temps for wales…an ice cool cinema sounds bliss what did u see

      Delete
  14. It's been seriously hot here too!
    Ugh. And humid hot which is the worst kind...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alfreton is indeed a long drive both for you and for Roger - best to wait as you say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was never too far from Sheffield

      Delete
  16. I bought a case of Magnum ice cream bars this weekend. I don't plan on sharing them with anyone but myself. :o.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes