Normal Programming Has Been Resumed

 


Back to normal today. The weather has turned colder and wetter and on our walk this morning, I regretted my decision to wear shorts only a minute into the amble.

I finished my film studies course yesterday and in the late afternoon met a friend to see The Phantom Of The Open. A comic version of the later life of the Walter Mitty character Maurice Flitcroft a working class crane driver who fraudulently entered the British Open Golf Tournament in the search of fame and fortune. With the delightful Mark Rylance in the lead role, Phantom is a frothy, light film about nice people being nice to each other. Wrapped up as almost a fantasy film, with splashes of Amelie and Forest Gump it gives Flitcroft a wry, gentle and somewhat warm persona, a man who adores his slightly dim wife and family, but who wants and needs some sort of fame ( this motivation is not explained in the movie at all by the way)
I enjoyed the humour of the piece but was left feeling somewhat uneasy at the end of the film when clips of the real Maurice Flitcroft were shown. This character seemed much darker and more serious than the one portrayed by Rylance and his presence hinted at darker motivations and even mental illness behind the eyes.
It’s interesting, but my friend thought the same 


After a couple of days in work from tomorrow, I have quite a few jaunts booked from Saturday 
An afternoon concert at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall, a real ale pub visit with a couple of work mates, two plays at Theatre Clwyd and a cabaret cult night out celebrating Kate Bush.
Hopefully Choir will return on Tuesday too after being cancelled for three weeks due to increasing covid numbers .
Like I said
Normal Programming Has Been Resumed  

It’s 20.50 pm and it’s snowing

 

33 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following along,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u x nice to have you always there David x

      Delete
  2. Oh, the good old test card and the shaky sign saying "Normal service will resume as soon as possible". Glad your normal service has resumed. Get the thermals out again, winter isn't yet over! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Mark Rylance talking about the film on the BBC. What a charming, self-deprecating actor he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He’s one of my favourites
      I first really noticed him in BRIDGE OF spies

      Delete
  4. Did you see the movie "Don't Look Up"? Mark Rylance was hilarious as the Billionaire Visionary. Took me a little while to even recognize him though, he looked so different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven’t Debra …I’m not a lover of comedies but willlookoutfor it

      Delete
  5. It all seems like normal programming to me. Just a man doing his best to make the most of life's ups and downs. Glad you are enjoying the ups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m fucking bored of the downs to. Be honest

      Delete
  6. Lucky you - I love Kate Bush.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The calendar says March but it feels like December. Shorts? You are not alone, I saw two men in shorts yesterday and it was 29 degrees F.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very cold today-I have improvised an old knitted poncho into a sarong-You may wish to style one yourself x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get you Dorothy Lamour!

      Delete
    2. Or Bag lady/Barmy poor distant relative of the Grey Gardens ladies x

      Delete
  9. Barbara Anne2:38 pm

    Applause for the resumption of normal service!
    DH always sticks his nose out the window before deciding what apparel is appropriate.
    Your plans for Saturday sound wonderful!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know nothing about Maurice Flitcroft. Will see what I can find to read. We’ve got sunshine today, too, although the wind picked up a while ago. Still, so nice to see the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s snowing quite heavily now ( 20.30 pm)

      Delete
  11. I rememmber the real-life golf event - much talked about as my brother and brother in law were really into golf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s not a story I’m aware of pat

      Delete
  12. I think golfing husband might be interested in this film.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well you're all sorted for the next little while. Good for you; bra straps and all that. Enjoy.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:20 am

    Thanks for sharing the blog so well and I hope you have something new for me to study.
    card games

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Lord, you stay busy. I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hooray! Are you going to An Evening Without Kate Bush? My friend Sarah-Louise Young is the star and she is absolutely wonderful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chester on Friday night YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes