Another Time/ Another Country

Rol and I, at another time, in another country


 When I was 20 I sort of fell in love with my best friend Rol
I didn’t understand the feeling, for sure.
I didn’t even understand I was Gay at the time
But in that clumsy, awkward, oblivious ,adolescent way…
I fell in love.
That secret, unrequited sort of love with a six foot, extrovert  rugby playing straight bloke who was destined for university, marriage and fatherhood in The Midlands

Our friendship waned after he went to Oxford and University  and I went nursing, and like many heterosexual men, he never really kept in touch although over the last forty years our paths have crossed at odd opportunities and situations and I was always aware of his general news as my friendship with his younger sister Nia has continued even after she emigrated to Australia. 
Our “parting” wasn’t a tragic separation, there was too much going on, for that to be the case, but it hurt a little at the time…. the way only things hurt when you are a gauche, immature , young man who had no real idea of who and what he was……

Last week Rol messaged me through social media and asked to meet. 
I was intrigued and happy to do so and this morning we met up at y shed.over coffee.
A brummie accented grandad and an almost 60 year old gay divorcee with a mild hangover

It was strange as we had never sat down together, alone and on a 1 to 1 for almost four decades but the years melted away as we chatted  and caught up. For me, it wasn’t a return to those uncooked unrequited  Love days…how could it have been ?  we both are very different people now , but it was a nostalgic and gentle nod to a friendship which was important to both of us in a country and a time so different from today. 

Now, the reason for the reunion turned out to be a serious health scare during lockdown . 
A reminder that people that matter and who mattered need to be touched base with.
No apologies for not keeping in touch for all those years
There is no need for apologies 
And we were both moved to tears by the catch up and the feelings that we shared.

We hugged each other firmly as we said our goodbyes.
Hugged for the good past times and the memories
Hugged for the shared uncertainties of approaching our sixties
And hugged for the fact we are still here ………..
And as we hugged Rol kissed me gently on the cheek 

A gesture that moved me greatly.

62 comments:

  1. There's something about catching up with friends you knew a lifetime ago. And that acceptance of who you were, who you are, and that you're just glad to reconnect is priceless, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , I think we both walked away lighter

      Delete
  2. That's made me cry John-your two spirits meeting with love xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tender, nostalgic post John. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara Anne9:03 pm

    Sweet. I'm glad your meeting went so well.
    Oddly, 3 weeks ago I got a phone call (out of the blue) from a now nearly 70 year old man I'd dated my senior year in high school and the summer before I started nursing school. We talked for about 40 min. about jobs, family, interests, and such but didn't exchange email addresses or snail mail addresses. He'd found me by way of the alumni assoc. from high school and said he'd tried to find me many times over those 50+ years. We last saw each other when we were 18. I suppose he cared for me more than I cared for him.
    You just never know!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you feel when he rang babs?

      Delete
    2. Barbara Anne3:03 pm

      It was a little creepy when I thought back, but at the time, it was okay. Each of our sons wondered if he'd show up at the door, but that hasn't happened so far.

      Hugs!

      Delete
  5. You are a lucky man, John, to have friendships that last across decades and separation. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ,friends are always a bonus , the I ring
      On the cake

      Delete
  6. The love between friends can rival romantic love. Reading this made me wistful for people I have known in the past. Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it’s good to touch base
      No apologies were needed yesterday

      Delete
  7. Ahhhh, achingly touching. We touch and, sometimes, don't even understand why we touched but we touch just the same. The old connection can revisit in so many different expressions; hurt, tenderness, rekindling and comfort. But all of them have the tiniest of opportunity to tie up loose ends or, perhaps, start something new again. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can be slighted and hurt by things but in the great scheme of things that’s just part of life. Friends come and go
      Relationships sometimes come and go

      Delete
  8. Lovely. Does he know you were ''in love'' with him?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How is that bloody book coming on?

    ReplyDelete
  10. As in get writing it, it will sell

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laurel and Hardy gay? Well blow me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post John made me cry and remember friends from years gone by, such a touching reunion those are the best friends where you can pick up as if it was yesterday content in each others company.
    Cherished memories in these uncertain times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some. Things to thank covid for

      Delete
  13. What a special meeting that must have been! Good for both of you. Yes, how is your book coming? You know you have a real talent.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the photograph. I think you should frame it and add it to the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it when friendships are rekindled. A new beginning starts today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think we’ve acknowledged that things are fine

      Delete
  16. So sweet, makes me think of old friendships that slipped by but I'm not crying. Something got in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really sweet. Do you think you will stay in touch this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we will sporadically. And that’s fine xx

      Delete
  18. Yes. Sometimes we realize that people in our youth were more important than we knew at the time. I'm so glad for you and Rol that you were able to catch up all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Also, were you wearing each other's hats in that photograph???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was the only bit of levity at that wedding. The rides father was a strict clergyman

      Delete
  20. Lovely. So happy for you, and I love the photo.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve always kept it. It was taken by another dear old friend who died in a plane crash in 1989

      Delete
  21. So many different lives in one lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we reinvent ourselves by luck or design

      Delete
  22. Wonderful uplifting story - I'm glad that you had it and that you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Meeting up with very old, and good, friends is always emotional. Saying goodbye even more so as we know it could be the final time we meet; and that can be frightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I understand this all too well cro

      Delete
  24. Friends from another time and place. They are a part of us still.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Different sorts of love.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have a gift for friendship. So glad you were able to meet up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friendships are like dogs, they need to be nurtured

      Delete
  27. What a lovely post. It brought a tear to my eye. Through the years, your emotional intelligence has grown tremendously. You are now in the top stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think I “ over see” things
      Over complicate people
      Perhaps it’s just being a proper grown up

      Delete
  28. That was lovely. Interestingly enough, I had visits with both my sisters this weekend and the subject of unrequited love came up during each visit. It appears we three sisters have all been in that situation, and on both sides of the fence. Although it's easier to be on the loved side of the fence, it's also sad to push someone away. I'm sure your friend had a whisper of a clue about your feelings back then. He must have loved letting you know those times were really important to him...despite the drifting away process.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have a hard time letting people go (except my ex-wife). It just seems like someone that was important to you then, should not loose there importance...but there are cons to that also. Glad to see you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm glad you got to meet up again. No one knows us like the people who knew us way back when, when we were still becoming ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  31. You made me cry again....... Glad your meeting was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So poignant but the gentle kiss on the cheek did me in...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your story moved me to tears!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You mean so much to so many. Tears here as well.
    Now is the time to let our loved ones know we love them, have loved them at some time or the need to know you want them to know love is there. Was there and is still there. That they are missed and need to be remembered. Your post about Rol. And life isn't over until it's over.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes