Goodbye Ben

 

Ben and his family

Ben and I were interviewed for the same job at the hospice on the same day. 
I was convinced he would get the job over me as he had worked there already, was responsible for research between the University and the hospice and had taught student nurses as a lecturer in my ex husband’s School of Nursing.
I was desperate for the job and was retired and felt old.
Getting the job meant that I could finally afford the mortgage on the cottage
As it turned out we both got the job
And Ben turned out to be a dear and loyal friend .

In the last two years, he, fellow nurse Ruth and I have been part of the same messenger group as well as work colleagues. We are planning a reunion in his new home next year.
We “talk” out of work more than we do in, and the banter was a lifeline during lockdown 
That group will continue to flourish, I am sure,  as it’s a site for banter, childish innuendo and gossip.
Ben, as the only straight man, is inordinately gossipy.
The only downside to the messenger group will be the time difference.
For Ben and his family are off to South Korea.

I had the challenge of buying Ben’s leaving gift, which wasn’t too hard as he is travelling light and will just have the money. But I wanted something a little more special for him, given the fact he’s a bit of a hippy.
Finally I thought of something and I’ve bought three trees in his, his wife Sokyo and daughter Luna’s Names from the National Trust.

So they will have something of theirs rooted in the soil of Britain 


33 comments:

  1. A great gift. I'm a big believer in tree planting, so I see it as the perfect present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good gift idea. It looks like it's a "coming home" for his wife in South Korea. A great country to be going to for Ben and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you have a fantastic reason to go to South Korea on holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it sounds a wonderful country and is one ive been fascinated in for a while
      I’m a big fan of its movie industry too

      Delete
  5. What an adventure, inspired gift idea, and beautiful family. Video chat makes separation much less painful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yorkshire Liz8:32 am

    A lovely timeless gift for what is so clearly a lovely family. Such true friends are rare. But distance is just space. So start making your holiday visit plans from now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely presents …. You are really good at buying gifts. Just wanted to say that I really have killed two aspidistras …. I am quite good with plants in the garden but absolutely hopeless with indoor plants ….. nobody ever believes that I killed off two ( it could be more ) aspidistras !!!!! I think you thought I was joking ? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I pride myself on interesting gifts
      I once bought my husband a pane of glass ( with his name on it) from Sheffield’s botanical gardens newly revamped hot house

      Delete
  8. The tree idea are lovely gifts. Good luck to Ben and his family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great gift. i bet he loves it. south korea is one of my all time favorite places.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely idea for a leaving gift. In the top picture was Ben advertising exclusive yachting gear with his wife and daughter?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely, thoughtful gift. It also means they need to come back to the UK occasionally, to see how the trees are getting on. Oh, and to visit you, of course! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful gift for Ben and his Family John-again today your thoughts and words have touched my heart-You lovely man you x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barbara Anne1:38 pm

    What a perfect gift for Ben and his family. Despite Ben's distance, you will keep him as an email and Zoom friend as if he were right around the corner. May the banter continue!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a thoughtful gift giver and a fine friend! Easier to keep in touch these days so your friendship will continue!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant idea John. As Ellen says - these days communications are so easy you will find it easy to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a lovely gift. Rooted in Britain, but nothing to weigh them down.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Moving to South Korea is a big life and cultural change. A gutsy move and wonderful adventure for Ben and his family. I love your gift of three trees that will establish roots forever in England for Ben and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keeping them rooted in British soil sounds like a perfect (and very original) gift.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You will find the best times to call. We have done this with family in Japan. When I hear the phone ring at certain times I know it is son. Plus for Holidays we set up times.
    Remember to get "LINE" fabulous and fun chat/phone group with the best emojis ever !
    Love the tree roots in England. Best idea.
    Love Korean food.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely and thoughtful gift John.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful and meaningful gift! I wish them well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely gift idea John wishing Ben and family all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful and thoughtful gift! Excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG That headline made me think Ben has passed away! But now I understand your unusual interest in S Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll bet he will approve wholeheartedly of your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think the trees are a fabulous idea. If they are long lasting trees I can almost imagine Luna's future children travelling to the UK to see them.

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes