Mingling

The plastic box kinda kills the photo but it’s a must as the postman refuses
to use the letter box due to Mary’s game of bite the postie


It’s hot and humid today and just like the matriarch Winnie , used to do ,Dorothy has laid her nipples to cold concrete in an effort to remain cool.
The honeysuckle over the front door is heavy with perfume which can be smelt from halfway up the lane.
Just by opening the lounge window allows the perfume to creep around the cottage scot free.

Monday we will learn if the final covid restrictions will be lifted on June 21st. 
I suspect they will in place for yet another month so hopefully the 19th of July will be the final cutoff point.
I hope so as I’m back in London for a whole three night weekend July 23rd
Look At him! Galavanting again ! I hear you say 
My next jaunt to the city will be another eclectic visit. 
The main thrust will be Nu’s post covid party where her friends from all over will finally meet together but on the Friday I have arranged to be a real geek for the day and will accompany my nephew to comic con at Olympia which will be a total first for me.
He asked me to meet up with him with typical Asperger’s understatement, and my emotional joy at being asked was probably lost with him as, to him the request was pragmatic and clear cut.
After all we have been in regular contact for the past three years.
I told an old friend that I was meeting up with him and the friend voiced some surprise that was the case which intrigued me.
Why wouldn’t I keep in touch ? even though I wasn’t a blood relative. I’ve known the boy since he was born! 


Perhaps thirty years ago Nu and I took her wisecracking Liverpudlian nieces to Chester Zoo. 
It was a magical  afternoon with the pre teen girls playing up with me as their favourite aunt’s bestie and three decades later they have asked to recreate the afternoon with another visit with their own children in tow.
I shall be delighted to attend too.
So Leo and I will be geeks for the day very soon.
I shall wear my very best Walking Dead T shirt for the occasion .

I shall leave you with two late entries from the view from my window competition 
And a poem about post covid mingling by Babs
Enjoy


Mingling
by Kim Stafford

Remember how we used to do it—
weaving through the crowd, brushing
shoulders, fingers touching a sleeve,
adjusting a lapel—first an old friend here,
then turn to banter with a stranger, finding
odd connections—“You’re from where?...You
know her!”—going deeper into story there, leaning
back in wonder, bending close to whisper, secrets
hidden in the hubbub, as if in the middle of this
melee you have found a room and lit a lamp…
then the roar of the crowd comes back,
someone singing out a name, another
bowing with a shriek of laughter,
slap on the back, bear hug void
of fear? Imagine!
Just imagine.








46 comments:

  1. Hi John, does your door have clearance for a mail cage on the inside? Lovely to see you getting out and about again. Viv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you will have fun at Comic Con, and how delightful that you have maintained relationships over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s not hard....I’m. Rey fond of him, always have been David

      Delete
  3. Show me some cold concrete...it sounds like a good plan!
    Great that Leo has asked you to go to Comic Con - do you have to dress in character?! If so, which one...
    Very poignant poem; it will probably be a very long time before everyone feels comfortable with that level of mingling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not one for fancy dress....but I will dig out my geeky t shirts

      Delete
  4. i bet mary is more disappointed in the plastic post box than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she is, she longs to nip those fingers of the irate postie

      Delete
  5. Such a pretty entryway. So inviting. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Comic Con with your nephew should be a blast! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will need a lovely hotel bed following me thinks

      Delete
  7. Loved Mingling . . . by Kim Stafford!
    I experienced some serendipity and mingling on my birthday a few days ago. Out to dinner with our families, (been forever it seemed.) and with out a thought I offered to take some pictures of another large group near us. Lo and behold, the ”picture taking person” from their group flew over to our table to thank me, and to say, “how do I know you!” And I said, “and how do I know you!” Worked pediatrics years ago, one of the docs. What fun!

    and thanks for posting my late entry . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. When Daughter was in 5th to 12th grade I drove all over California to several Comix Con and loved every moment. That was many many years ago but one of my funniest and best days and just wonderful. We made her costume also. Fun is Fun. Love is Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there will be some walking dead stalls

      Delete
  9. People adopt children so there's no reason why Leo isn't your nephew and you his fun Uncle John xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not mingling still-walking with my dogs weekends especially it gets quite personal at times-we were wandering carefree along a track when yet again a sudden gush-I called out"wait!"and 2 men came up behind me-they were on bicycles-we exchanged words but at least they were courteous-in fact it was a nice encounter and I Have had 2 pricks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mave ...the last sentence is over to you

      Delete
    2. Flies, you're a reet slag x

      Delete
    3. Do you think so Mavis-I think I would like that x

      Delete
  11. I love the entrance to your cottage. Perhaps you could get one of those old, cast iron, wall mounted post boxes, although the plastic box seems to work well! Lovely that your nephew wants you to join him at the Comic Con. He must know you'll be fun to be with. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask me how much fun after walking around comic stalls for 7 hours lol

      Delete
    2. You are the chosen one......choose your shoes carefully and enjoy your time together 😁

      Delete
  12. Don't know where to begin it is all so enjoyable. Your garden area round the door is beautiful. The view from the window with the vase in the foreground is a lovely photograph. The idea of your weekend in London is brill and that poem is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely post John - all of it. Re the plastic box, why not get a postbox - as in the American or French style? I grew fed up of (wet) parcels being left outside so bought a French letter/post box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I should ..another thing on the list x

      Delete
  14. The cottage is like a storybook cottage, so charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goes with the story which is going gently then x

      Delete
  15. Barbara Anne6:25 pm

    Oh, the fragrance of the divine honeysuckle must make you think you're in heaven! Love the entry to your home: flowers, fragrance, a bower, wrought iron, and you inside!
    Marvelous that Leo can count on you to go to Comic Con with him! Everyone needs a fun aunt or uncle.
    I'm glad you and others have liked the poem. I did, too.
    I've so enjoyed all of the wonderful window views. Thanks to all!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fragrance of honeysuckle in the evening makes me think of the cottage more than anything else . The two have become synomomous with the place

      Delete
  16. My 2 oldest granddaughters are into cosplay and would love to attend Comic Con. They haven't started up here yet.
    You have many varied interests, John, no wonder you are so popular with so many people! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol there are some who would disagree lol

      Delete
  17. Seems like the postman could figure out how to get mail through the letter box without putting his fingers in harm's way.

    I think it's great you're going to Comic-Con! I'm going to be in quarantine then, sadly. Unless the rules change before I return from Florida.

    I like the poem. I've noticed that I give people a wide berth on the sidewalk even now, and it's so funny to think we all used to brush right past each other without a care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.....it’s also made us slightly mistrusting of each other which is sad x

      Delete
  18. You will love Comic Con, it's not just comics anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How exciting for you to go to a Comic Con. I have been to several and they are a blast. You will see many amazing costumes and lots of cool souvenirs as well. The ones I've been to had a lot of Walking Dead merchandise so take your will power or some money!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous10:35 pm

    I hope you enjoy ComicCon and I hope that the Covid restrictions are lifted where you are. I'm eager to get back out this summer as I'm sure everyone is.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I appreciated Kim Stafford's poem "Mingling". It cleverly reminds us of the damage that this bloody pandemic has wrought. It is not all about the deaths and the hospitalisations. Very fundamental aspects of ordinary life have been assaulted.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We've isolated long enough and all need more mingling in our lives. A day with Leo should be filled with geeky fun. Your entry and honeysuckle looks great. The scent sounds wonderful. I planted honeysuckle this year and hope to see a mature vine next year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous1:47 am

    The child you never had.....how sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like your tone-your comment is a red flag of someone who is very miserable and tries to make others same as yourself-U is Sad!

      Delete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes