In The Pink

 I complemented Bethan on her corner garden this morning. I’d say she has the fourth best garden in the village behind Marion Jones, Animal Helper Pat and the lady who lives in the London Road cottage whose name has just escaped me. She told me she had just scattered her mothers ashes into a new herbaceous border filled with only pink flowers .
She always said she was in the pink , when you asked her how she was” Bethan quipped “ Now she is!”


The velvet voiced Linda at the coffee morning


The Memorial Hall was open today, the shenanigans with it’s insurance sorted by the Community Council.
It was nice to go to the first coffee morning of the year.
The first person I saw crossing the road very carefully with his wife was Mr Poznán.
Now Mr Poznán is perhaps my most favourite man in the village. 
In his late seventies, he has the most benign and friendliest faces of anyone I have ever met and with his crinkled smiling eyes and broad grin he always reminds me of a soft featured Polish Farmer ( hence the nickname).
When I separated from the Prof and was in danger of losing the cottage , it was Mr Poznań who originally proposed the idea of buying the cottage so that I could stay in it.
He is a gentle quietly spoken man, who is popular in Trelawnyd.
It is well known that Mr Poznań has a cardiac history and catching his wife’s worried eye, I realised that he was more breathless than usual so I popped over to take his pulse and to share some nursery advice.
We sat and talked for a while.
It was lovely to catch up.

I cut my visit short as I’d planned to meet another old friend in Chester. 
I’ve known Nigel, who now lives in Manchester for nearly thirty years, and we talked solid for three hours. Drinking Turkish delight tea in the Storyhouse restaurant and eating Mr Whippy ice cream by the Dee

Inside the Storyhouse

The Dee

Touching base with friends, over the last couple of weeks 
Life feels normal once more

35 comments:

  1. We're doing the same here -- seeing people, making plans. It's exciting, though I do worry a bit about this Delta variant. It's always something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara Anne6:49 pm

    I think Bethan's idea to put her mother's ashes in the pink flowerbed was touching and wonderful.
    I hope and pray that dear Mr. Poznan's heart continues working well for years to come so his quiet, friendly presence can continue as a sweet benediction for the village.
    How glorious to gather with friends again!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful thing to do, Bethan. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is more John, after reading of your meetings with old friends I detect decidedly upbeat feelings from you too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A benign and friendly face is always a delight when so many people walk around with grim faces as if they've just lost a tenner and found a penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , we are all drawn psychologically to a smile

      Delete
  6. you have t admit your life seems quite idylic at times. i think it's the way you tell the stories. i'm so glad to hear that you are out and about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn’t been , jaz, for quite sometime

      Delete
  7. So is that Storyhouse a combination restaurant/bookstore? I'd like to see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Restaurant, library, community centre, conference centre, shop, cinema, theatre, cafe, study area, training centre

      Delete
  8. Anthea
    The lady with the third best garden is called Anthea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy flushed pink cheeks John-lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve always had red cheeks even as a baby

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great to be out and about, isn't it!?! But every garden gets a top rating in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely man to have in the village. Trelawnyd really does sound an idyllic place to live; I'm not surprised Ruth is keen to house & dog sit again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a great social circle, lots of interests and best of all you love people. Places to go and people to enjoy good times with keeps the spirits high. You seem very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The story house looks like so much fun. One of the gardeners at Leu Gardens in Orlando died of complications from AIDS. The gardens planted a white garden in his honor, his ashes were interred there. White flowering plants were Glen's favorites. I nice tribute to a talented and committed member of the staff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like a wonderful day and especially nice that the town is now back to enjoying the Saturday morning coffee get togethers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I imagine the Coffee Morning is an example of Social Distancing. It doesn't look terribly friendly, but no doubt one day everyone will 'mingle' again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the idea of Coffee Morning. Such a great way to catch up and just enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How much we have all missed contact with other people! And having something to look forward to

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh My! I've just looked in 'close-up' at the Storyhouse, and I see it's a bookshop too! How wonderful! Years ago we had a music shop, with books and music for sale, and a really wonderful cafe/lunchbar upstairs. Unfortunately, like so many wonderful shops of yesteryear, it is no more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Life IS beginning to feel more normal. Still a long way to go, but time with friends really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Life is slowly getting back to normal, I just hope it continues. We all need to see friends and family again. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think your garden isn't the only thing blooming these days...your happiness is palpable. So good. So needed. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad the insurance issue got sorted out and Coffee Mornings are back!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes