Chatter


Just for Lizzy here is a photo of my shrimp vase.  
It’s the biggest vase I own and always has pride of place in the kitchen lane window, where it looks at its best. I always have fresh flowers in this window and in the living room window and have kept the tradition of flowers in the house ever since I bought my first home in 1989.
I note here that I’m not the only one that always has flowers in their windows, it’s a tradition Affable Despot Jason’s wife Claire adheres to
Which is nice
Yesterday I cleaned an old shelving unit and spray painted it.
With the addition of some cheap primulas, hyacinth and herbs like sage and parsley it’s brightened up the patio which still needs it’s cottage walls painting. 
I need some consistently dryer weather to do that .

The choir met last night on zoom.
It was a year to the day since we had our first on line meeting and our conductor Jamie and his 1940s moustache ( but with non regulation overlong hair) has kept us going more socially that musically . 
Mary delights to sit on my knee during out chit chat , watching the zoom boxes and activity through one eye, and she remains so still that several of the choristers shout “ she’s a puppet “ when they see her.

Before choir I pottered. The lane was muddy and noisy as ty newydd farm ( New House farm) was transporting turnips in vast containers from the fields down the lane back through the village, and so most of my pottering was inside. 
However, Mrs K did stop to talk. Her husband has been poorly and she has a habit of telling you  of what many would think as too personal information .
I think she’s frightened and needs to share.
Anyway in between her, and the tractor trailers loaded with turnips a sparrow hawk landed in the lane like a spitfire. She had a collared pigeon in her grasp and started to rip at its breast meat before the unfortunate bird was dead. She must have been hungry for I snapped two shots of the drama before another tractor thundered around the corner and she took flight into the churchyard with the pigeon swinging from one talon. 
The crows from the trees by the pond suddenly appeared calling loudly as did a trio of magpies and I watched the sparrow hawk land heavily amid the gravestones as clouds of white feathers burst along the lane like snowflakes.
  



My DIY bookcase arrived this morning , so I need to channel my inner testosterone in order to put it together. I was only contemplating this with a bucket of coffee when I spied Gentleman farmer Ralph’s wife pulling up at the gate.
She dropped off  my soup container and a few orders of service for me and the other locals.
She looked brave.



50 comments:

  1. Patio's looking good. Maybe Mrs K believes that as you are a nurse, you'll be used to such information, oand perhaps even be able to give her advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve added delicate white violas today

      Delete
  2. It must help Mrs K to share . We have sparrow hawks and red kites devouring pigeons on our lawn .. it’s often covered in feathers !!! Cottage is looking so pretty. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s getting there. I’ve put the bookcase up and am now choosing what colours to paint the bedroom

      Delete
  3. I saw one chasing a pigeon down a narrow lane here in the city a few weeks ago. Being a hawk means you never go hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sparrow hawks are phenomenally fast , like streaks to lightening

      Delete
  4. The flowers are wonderful, living in a high rise I don't have a kitchen window, but about 48 weeks out of the year, there are fresh flowers in the living room. Wonderful description of the sights and sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you have peregrines ...I remember watching one in Central Park

      Delete
  5. Don't have fresh flowers in the house - get depressed when they die. I like flowers outside, but it's hard to get any to grow in Florida's sand. I've found beach sunflower. Problem with them is they don't stay put, they just sort of sprout where they please. Which charms and amuses me, but annoys the husband no end. Which also amuses me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowers are like antiques , you don’t own them you just look after them for a while

      Delete
  6. That pigeon drama was pretty surprising, I'm sure! We buy flowers now and then but we don't have them all the time. We have SO many houseplants -- that keeps things plenty lively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I couldn’t cope with your amount of plants , Albert would be pooing in them

      Delete
  7. Lots of hawks here and plenty of pigeons for them to eat. It is good to see them catch the pigeon on the wing. I also always have flowers in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a Sparrowhawk visit our garden and has grabbed sparrows and a starling bit not my much loved collared doves. The sparrows go silent in the hedge when the hawk visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it’s remarkable how they stop chattering , I used to have a group living in the honeysuckle by my front door

      Delete
  9. nice memorial program. now if only mary could sing, she could join the choir...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, to live in your village.
    You are a nurse, she knows nothing she tells you has not been heard or seen by you before.
    The photos of the birds look like paintings.
    Choir with Mary...more smiles all 'round , I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her stillness intrigues my fellow choristers

      Delete
  11. Gentleman Ralph and I shared a birth day, but I was born after the war, barely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The red tail hawk is common here and it is amazing to see them swoop down and grab a bird or small animal. Their eyesight has ability to zoom in from a high for a direct aim and successful catch. Flowers inside and outside definitely provide joy to our days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowers have followed me with every house I’ve owned

      Delete
  13. It's nice to meet Gentle Farmer Ralf-he has a kind face-you shall be able to chat to him as he is close by x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Farmer Ralph of course x

      Delete
  14. Barbara Anne3:19 pm

    What an entertaining account of your day, despite the noisy interludes, and I wish you success in assembling the new bookcase.
    Hope you and sweet Lywena held your breaths and shared a hug. Ashton is a family name on my mother's side of our family.
    Your pots of flowers and other plants looks wonderful!
    We have hawks and falcons here and their presence causes the crows to pitch a fit.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nature can be so cruel. I once saw some bird of prey swoop on a squealing animal in Tottenham. Tottenham! Couldn't believe what I'd seen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the vase of daffs, John. So beautiful and hopeful. Do these frilly double daffs grow in your fields or you bought them. I too always have flowers, tho no sweet window on the lane to display the.

    lizzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I bought them , they were extra long, the vase needs long stems

      Delete
  17. Love the vase of daffs, and your patio is looking inviting. Good luck assembling the new bookcase - bet it's already made, in situ and full of books by now! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right all done and dusted ...with the artistic addition of a tall brown jug in one corner

      Delete
  18. I love the little snippets of your life and the lives that intersect with your own. What is that little tree in the blue pot on your patio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a bay tree , one of the few things my husband didn’t take with him

      Delete
  19. I know only too well that in the first few weeks of widowhood (twice in my case) one has to be particularly brave - and put on a brave face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know pat....it must have been so very hard

      Delete
  20. Gentleman farmer Ralph looked just as I had imagined him - very friendly. Your daffodils and the patio plants are very cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. She was brave. Thank you for your blog. It cheers me everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. "My DIY bookcase arrived this morning , so I need to channel my inner testosterone in order to put it together." Oh, honey. You're telling me? LOL

    And I loved the vase and the little garden! Now that you mention it, I may have something similar that I could transform. Ideas!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished the bookcase this afternoon with more testosterone to spare

      Delete
  23. Your patio looks nice! You sure have a way with plants, John. Looking forward to seeing the completed bookcase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will only photograph it after the bedroom is painted

      Delete
  24. Farmer Ralph looks exactly as I imagined him to look...your previous descriptions of him helped very much. Love the daffodils, one of the sunniest flowers around to my mind along with sunflowers. Love the vase and the repurposed bookshelf on the patio. You have been busy!

    Jo in Auckland

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your pots, they always look so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes