A blog from a decade ago.....

I wrote this when I was on fox watch a long, long  while ago, and have only just remembered I saved it on the laptop...
It was written ten years ago
I hope you enjoy it

........It is 8.30 and the evening remains warm, dry and quiet. I am sat under the elm which borders the Churchyard and from this advantage point I can see every corner of the field. No sightings of Mr Fox as yet!
George is sat quietly in Maddie's old spot at my feet and the Welsh terriers are tied up next to the water butts and look asleep in the evening sun. Everything seems calm and serene.
The pace of the animals is slowing down in preparation for the night. The four female turkeys have separated from their daytime meet up and in two groups of two are ambling slowly towards their respective stags. Jane and Lizzy (the slate and Bourbon girls) make their way down towards Bingley in the far pig house and Gloria and an almost bald Theresa wait patiently just a few feet away. They know I will be shortly moving them into their shelter with Boris, who is still huffing and puffing away in the back ground.
The indian runners stand uncertainly just beyond the turkeys. They are eyeing me nervously and are also waiting for me to direct them into their duckhouse. I am late tonight and they know it............. and I am just that little bit amused that it seems to bother them.
The hens are all gliding their way to their own hen houses in groups of two and three. The buffs swinging their fat bottoms as they walk heavily home. The only birds that don't move home wards are the six battery hens in the furthest coop. They remain still and silent in a sad looking flat group in the warmth of the sun, yet the very fact they have all taken the chance to leave the safety of the hen house proves to me that at least the natural light and heat they now feel is in fact healing.
The two new foals in the field beyond the stream are galloping around is silly circles together and I can see Albert sitting on top of the Church wall watching them with some interest before he jumps down into the grass and rubs his head against those of William and Meg waking both dogs up.
The guinea fowl totter past and leap the 6 feet to enter the old Graveyard. They chatter noisily when they spy Albert, then move on to sit under their roosting tree, muttering to themselves like grumpy old people 
I take a long measured breath in, as one of the roosters crow
I am home

40 comments:

  1. Only Albert and I are left !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vaguely remembered...Loved it then, love it now. How old is Albert?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing style has changed somewhat. I missed out 😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I think that's because I have only known you post apocalypse.

      Delete
    2. I thought you and John were RL old old friends?

      Delete
    3. I'm one of the new kids on the block, gathered whilst his rolling stone took a breather.

      Delete
    4. To clarify post apocalypse = after apocalypse and not posting apocalyptic posts 😂

      Delete
  4. Beautifully written and you paint with words such a pleasant scene. I love Albert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those days and descriptions are what made me fall in love with your blog. As Mavis says, things have changed over the years--your writing style has evolved.
    How I loved those tales from the farm yard, by the Welsh gentleman farmer, once upon a time.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I'd found you and your blog before now John- you really brighten my day - you lovely man.I'm sure you could write for a living or at least have your delightful writing published in magazines or newspapers x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can read the archives still, from the beginning of the blog.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Lizzy D- I shall x

      Delete
  7. Beautiful words and feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need Llamas in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh,just what I needed.
    I just agree with Lizzie..but truth is,as time goes by,we change, our lives change,naturally,out writing changes.
    I confess to being partial to the stories that include pups,cats and all the winged creatures.
    But I find it comforting reading your contemplative writing..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely resurrected.How I loved hearing all the old names.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara Anne1:46 am

    Yes, beautifully written. William and Meg as well as many of the feathered folks are cherished memories and much missed these days.

    10 years ago, sweet AMIL was next door, caring for cantankerous and crazy FIL; the garden was flourishing, and we still had Toby (Virginia Walker hound) and the two gray tabby cats, Boots and Tom.

    Now, all are gone and we miss AMIL, Toby, Boots, and Tom, but don't miss FIL. Don't ask why, please.

    As always, your writing is spot on wonderful.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicely crafted, John. And like one of your other friends, I love Albert. Please give him a pat from me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember this one.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  14. I prefer your writing now. More down to earth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, your style of writing has certainly changed over that time. That piece was quietly reflective now you are more real. Loved the memories of past dogs and feathered creatures.

    Jo in Auckland.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great piece of writing! I love it and could read this kind of writing all day. It makes a great meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel transported to another place and time like reading a good book by the fire I love your writing style John it just flows then and now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous7:04 am

    I can't remember reading it at the time, but it is beautifully written and so evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember your fox watch posts and all your feathered friends, lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful writing...more please!!
    You can just visualise it as you read...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh John. I read this with tears in my eyes - as I am sure you did. It deserves a wider public and yet, somehow, because we know how you are now maybe it is best shared with just us - your friends through thick and thin. Much love and thank you for such beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A nice look back. So much can happen in 10 years. (So much can happen in a day!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sweet memories although sometimes sad

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your style has changed slightly, but I can tell it's your words.

    You had so many more feathered friends in those days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Like a little time capsule! I love coming across surprises like this -- things created, saved and then forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Still home, after all these years

    ReplyDelete
  27. You had quite a menagerie then.Your love of critters shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Reads of contentment x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I miss that home of yours with the livestock.

    ReplyDelete
  30. John! John, since you posted from ten years ago, I will answer you as you knew me in blog world from ten years ago. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes