Downton & Roses

Finally Barrow Snogs the royal Butler

 Downtown Abbey has perhaps thirty characters of any note. Add to the mix four Royals, two far distant family members and a gaggle of half a dozen Royal aides and flunkies and you have forty people to juggle on screen.
A near impossible job to be done in just two tight hours I would have thought.....and my thoughts proved to be right as the story galloped away with itself as the likes of Mr Bates, Mrs Crawley, Mrs Hughes and Lord and Lady Grantham just stand around in the background and mutter a few hastily edited lines on screen.
Anna ( Joanne Froggatt) Branson ( Allen Leech) and Lady Violet ( A frail looking Maggie Smith still providing the best one liners) fare better with more screen time but it does feel all a bit of a rush as the movie throws a Royal Visit, pregnancy, an inheritance question, an assassination attempt! and  an Ealing Comedy-esque understairs mutiny into the mix before hinting at a gay romance for Thomas Barrow ( Robert James-Collier) after he gets caught in a Gay Nightclub in York ( more than I ever did when I lived there!)
As a piece of cinema , it's all a bit of a mess.....but having said this, the whole production is so infused with good humour and affection for its characters, I finally found myself enjoying it, especially the bits where Anna leads the Downton mutiny against the Royal servants and Smith's bravura handing-over-the-reins to the sullen Lady Mary in what turned out to be a rather moving finale as the whole upstairs cast waltz colourfully past the camera.




I got home later afternoon to a package delivered much earlier
Whoever sent me a lovely bunch of yellow roses


Thank you
Xx

34 comments:

  1. One does feel that they try and cram too much in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean Barrow and the royal Butler?

      Delete
  2. Have never seen Downton on TV so the film would be a bit complicated for me to decipher I guess. Don't know why I have never seen it -probably clashes with something else I watch I suspect.
    roses are lovely - I had flowers delivered last week from lovely Gayle in Tucson (2 square black dogs) - I hope she understands just how much pleasure they gave me - they uplifted my spirits just when they needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it a bit difficult to follow not being a Downton tv viewer and lots of plots and sub plots and then a bit garbled when it tried to bring the threads together and when I thought it had ended it hadn't. Quite satisfactory to fill an afternoon though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they packed a lot in the two hours. They way it was left makes way for another movie I thought.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother grew up near there, in Newbury, and even after living in the states for 50 years, she often reminisced about being a child and spending afternoons nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt that too some of the characters barely spoke they may as well not have turned up but I nearly cheered out loud when Barrow finally found romance! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I totally forgot about this move! I have to get myself to a theater!
    And I love the roses. Lovely gift.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot tell a lie - I did, John. Enjoy...

      Delete
    2. (...and if you believe that you will believe anything...)

      Delete
  8. Maggie Smith has been around forever. Remember the Prime of Miss Jean Brody? Watched that in a drive in. I think I was 10. Loved the series D.A. One day I would like to visit your beautiful country.
    Yellow roses are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mystery roses . . . how wonderful! Hopefully the sender will reveal themselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not local , delivered by messenger!

      Delete
  10. A pleasant movie AND yellow roses plus the delicious mystery! What a lovely day you have had...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought it a delightful piece of fluff. With certain films your judgement shoes need to be left by the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I said that without actually saying it

      Delete
    2. It was just the escape I needed that afternoon after a hard couple of weeks. "Delightful piece of fluff" is a perfect description Dave!

      Delete
  12. I've no idea why I have never watched even one episode.Several years ago I went to a dog show and Julian Fellowes opened it.It was at a vicarage and he stood near the pimms stall x

    ReplyDelete
  13. SLATTERN. Get that sill dusted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful flowers and a mystery ! Such a good day.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, nice roses John! Fess up...are they from the person you had a date with recently? You can tell us. ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. We saw DA a couple of weeks back. Husband enjoyed it. It was a pleasant escape for a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved the movie it was like seeing old friends again and feeling glad that they are all doing well I felt like giving the show a standing ovation but that would have been a bit awkward.
    Yellow roses better than red ones in my book they look lovely John.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As another 'Downton' virgin (on TV) I was pleasantly surprised by the film. A feel-gooder'.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Off with the women in the family to see this tomorrow night....love it! My favourite character is the dowager. Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The language of flowers...."Yellow roses send a message of appreciation and platonic love without the romantic subtext of other colors. The color represents feelings of joy and delight."

    Hurrah for yellow roses!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Having watched the television show, the movie was like spending an evening with old friends catching up. Pretty roses - you must have an admirer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The movie had its faults but overall, I enjoyed every minute of it. The ending was a lovely good bye.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yellow roses! How mysterious! I also enjoyed Downton despite its flaws. Dave and I had a similar discussion as we left -- how some characters (Bates and Baxter, for example) had virtually nothing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely flowers … but I hate a mystery, if you find out who sent them please let us know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi hun, The mystery of the yellow roses! How romantic! My hubbie has always brought me yellow roses. I think they are not as common as red ones! OOh when you find out please let us know!! *hugs* goldensunflower x

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes