The Children Act


It's been a nice afternoon. Cinema on a rainy Sunday followed by a nice Caesar salad....very civilised

We went to see The Children Act 
Not an easy or indeed enjoyable film to watch, but one that certainly had the conversation flowing over some chicken and shredded lettuce !

The film follows workaholic High Court Children Case Judge Fiona Maye ( Emma Thompson) as she faces the dilemma of a hospital wanting to transfuse blood to a boy of seventeen who is a devout Jehovah's Witness. Legally the boy (Fion Whitehead) should be treated as a child incapable of giving consent, but Maye caught up in the repressed emotional stress of her failing marriage , chooses to visit the boy in hospital to explore his thoughts and feelings about his condition, a decision which gets more complicated and messy as the meeting has a profound effect on everyone involved.

As a nurse I could see the holes in much of Ian McEwan's storyline and the film does veer from  being a fascinating glimpse into courtroom etiquette one moment and a daily unbelievable legal/ relationship drama the next.
Having said this, Emma Thompson pitches her performance just right. She is a focused, career woman who is certain of every fact in her possession . She is quick thinking, unsentimental and clear cut, so from the get go, the audience sympathy lies with her husband Jack ( Stanley Tucci) who offers affectionate meals out together and a shared bottle of wine only to have his overtures rejected
In one telling scene Fiona , explains to him that in one of her cases one conjoined twin's heart beats for both babies' survival . A clear metaphor for the state of her marriage

Maye's character is not easy, she has no banter with her devoted bland court clerk ( Jason Watkins), and she is so controlled it's almost infuriating to watch her stalk through her beautiful apartment ( to die for) where she plays her grand piano in a friendless, work orientated existence .
But the film is more an interesting study of her driven complex character, rather than a debate of the rights or wrongs of Jehovah Witness beliefs
6/10

34 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:27 pm

    Thanks for the review John. I wonder if the holes in the story line we the film’s or McEwan’s?

    Any thoughts in reading the book?

    Traveller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:28 pm

      On not in!

      Delete
    2. I think i will read the book, but the subplot of the failing marriage was a little to close for comfort

      Delete
  2. The film has disappointingly modest production values. It feels more like a confined TV drama than a feature aimed at the big screen. Fiona herself is too sensible, too resourceful and too hard-working ever to allow her life really to become unstuck - and that makes her all the less interesting as the heroine in a movie like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You put it well YP she's not interesting.. that's is probably why on paper the unravelling of her life could have made a good story

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Stanley Tucci, Jason Watkins..worth a visit to the cinema..john..have you seen a Bollywood film? Interested in your views.

      Delete
    2. I think I may have only seen one
      Lagaan
      The one about the village chicken team

      Delete
    3. Haven't seen any as yet..not sure if there are any cinemas in North Wales show them.x

      Delete
    4. That should have read cricket team ! Not chicken!

      Delete
    5. I want a film about a village chicken team now. Maybe Ardman could do it.

      Delete
  4. I remember enjoying the book very much...been a while.
    Btw, have you heard about the Brexit Wooferendum? You can Google it. Parliament on October 7. You should take Mary. Wish I could be there, but it's a bit of a trip from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often wondered how medical folk view Jehova's Witnesses views on blood transfusions. Glad you went out John - as you said the other day - Bank holidays are no time to be alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are " bloodless" protocols that can be followed

      Delete
  6. Not a film I would want to see bu thank you for the review.
    I did exciting things on my Bank Holiday Sunday alone like moving my craft making stuff and painting a radiator and window sills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to mine , I've got lots of small jobs to do

      Delete
  7. I read the book. You will probably find more detail in the book that was probably missed out of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not heard of this film. I like Emma Thompson's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a mad bugger in real life I've read

      Delete
  9. Barbara Anne9:06 pm

    This sounds like a movie I wouldn't care to see even tho I like Emma Thompson and Stanley Tucci. Ta for the review.

    As I nurse (retired), I've always seen the medical gaffs in movies and on TV. We're just too smart for the screen writers!

    I will say that the salad appealed to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I saw the trailer for this one and thought it was much overwrought ado about nothing. The law in Canada is clear that a 17 year old Jehovah's Witness is a "mature minor" who can make even such life and death decisions for themselves. The true "tricky" case is when they're adolescents or younger. Then the court may potentially intervene to order the medical treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think safeguarding has made things much greyer

      Delete
  11. Glad you enjoyed time out and about and thanks for the review. I always wonder how the book and the movie compare given that not everything can be put on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. More thank yous
    For sponsorship
    So thank you darlings
    Beth, susan, Cherie, and the darling kirkham family xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sure the acting is wonderful but I don’t think that I would like the storyline. It sounds too sad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Should be going tomorrow. It sounded really good on paper, as well as from the trailer. Then the reviews started appearing (which you're basically confirming). Still, go I shall.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Emma Thompson and Stanley Tucci, two of my favorite actors!

    Caesar salad--my favorite salad!

    You got to discuss some interesting points raised by the movie. To me, that means the movie did its job, by making the audience think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emma is my acting/style guru. I will suffer the theme of the film just to see her in action. My husband is a lawyer so will prepare myself for the 'holes in the plot' conversation afterwards. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw The Children Act yesterday. We also found a lot to discuss afterwards. I wouldn't say certainty was Faye's prime characteristic. There was a lot of ambivalence as well, especially in her not knowing quite how to respond to Adam's excessive attentions. Another judge would have just cut him dead and not encouraged him.

    I could say a lot more, but it would turn into a very long essay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes