Sorrel and Country




I am a good host when visitors come to Bwthyn-y-Llan for I am more than capable of "making an effort" when I am in the mood. However.. I do take after my robust Liverpudlian Grandmother, when it comes to hospitality for like her, I am a bit of a "feeder" when it comes to visitors.
Anyone that arrives on the doorstep is always offered a cup of tea, whether they be the delivery man or the dog groomer lady....if I have notice then a homemade cake or pie ( pies are easier) is usually in the offering, and failing that, there is always an emergency visit to the spar, that can be initiated even though their selection of cakes is rather...well.........working class to say the least.
After filling Sorrel up with eggs, bacon and fried bread this morning, I have packed her and Chris off for a day's shopping in Chester (I cannot personally think of anything worse than trolling around designer shops even if they are hidden away inside the scenic "rows" of historic Chester)
With half the day free, I can prepare dinner for later, do a bit of baking and flex more of my hospitality muscles.
To be honest it is not hard work looking after my mother in law. She is undemanding, grateful and will eat all that is put in front of her.

However ( and I have blogged about this before as Dot elluded to in my previous post-see Sorell and the mouse) my mother in law just cannot "do" the countryside.


One brief trip on the field will send her into what can only be described as a "muted hysterical state of 65 year old Kentish womanhood"  and the mere "sideways look" from a turkey is enough to bring on a sudden bout of hyperventilation!! so..... you can only guess what she transforms into when surrounded by 49 birds, two pigs and a cat who enjoys disemboweling small fury animals.......
it's not a pretty sight.

Sorrel is still recovering from the unexpected view  of a rather flattened shrew, which was thoughtfully deposited outside her bedroom door yesterday evening.......thank god the baby rabbit incident had not occurred when she was around...for I couldn't quite face visiting her daily in the rubber room of the local psychiatric unit

Yes Chester was a safe bet today.....a couple of hours in Marks and Spencer , and she will be effectively cleansed of rodents, chickens and psychotic turkeys
hey ho
This morning's fruit pie

24 comments:

  1. Hi John!! Referencing 'our favorite poem,' you know that my heart has not just been torn by a dog, but it has been ripped to shreds lately--So I have enjoyed 'escaping' to your blog this morning to read what you've been up too. You are such a great host, and if I were to visit you, the sideways look from a turkey or disemboweling of small fury animals wouldn't bother me at all, especially if I could have a piece of your delicious pie and some tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fruit pie looks good. With cream or ice cream? Or custard? I'm feeling hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, having just "hosted" the inlaws I can only wish for a normal family!
    Thanks for the recent comment, will soon be back by 'popular demand' .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about time you sent me a nice pie via Royal Mail, John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter's 3rd given name is Sorrell (2 l's); I'd not come across another. Good looking pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "having about 2 glasses of wine more than the government health guidelines recommend."

    ...yeah....and my dick's a kipper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have done my share of "country living" but it was in Connecticut and kind of "tony" as opposed to the very real and oh so butch life you lead (tea and pie aside). There was the odd dead shrew to contend with and I learned to cope a bit better than your mother-in-law. I'm so glad there's some nearby retail therapy. AND PIE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pastry looks first class John...well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dare say it smells like one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a wonderful host...when can I visit?

    I can almost smell that pie...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will give give you 'fair warning' of my arrival....as long as you have one of those pies ready for consumption!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That pie looks mighty inviting! Would be delicious with the mug of French Roast coffee I am sipping as I enjoy your post! Hope the visit does not wear you out! Thankfully Chris is a great tour guide. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. When my Mum used to visit, her excuse for not venturing outside (unless it was trip to the city for clothes shopping)was not having 'suitable shoes'!!
    Jane x
    PS I think joebloggs et moi have the same relatives.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you bake that pie? All your readers want to try it....

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's always fun to spoil our guests a bit. Especially with good food. Yummy-looking pie there, but I'm surprised you find them easier to prepare than cakes. Darn it. Now, I'm gonna have to go bake a pie. Pretty sure I have all the ingredients for a lemon meringue ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum - shrew pie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure you're a wonderful host, John.

    I must say, i understand Sorrel's um, less than gracious behaviour with the dead, furry things.

    My cats give me PLENTY of opportunities and are still confused when i shriek with horror rather than delight. Yesterday, Jo thoughtfully presented two mice, the larger probably parent mouse, dead, in the barn, and deposited a very small one right near my feet. It was still moving a bit--i was on my way out to run errands, praised her, and left. When i got back, the dead parent was gone, but baby was still there, though not moving. Until i tried to get the shovel near him to deposit him outside, and he wriggled. Logically, it makes no sense i know, but emotionally, i was a mess.

    Ended up calling my kindly, elderly neighbour who stopped by, picked up the little mite by its tail and tossed him over the fence in the meadow. Brave, brave man in my book.

    I'd be glad to bake him and his wife a pie as a thank you, but he was happier with the arrangement of stowing their Model A Ford in my barn over the winter.

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lavish hospitality is the norm in Northern Ireland too. Visit anyone at all, however casually, and chances are they'll immediately offer you a cup of tea and a vast spread of cakes, buns and traybakes.

    I'm not quite as bad as your mother in law, but I don't really do the countryside either. The average farmyard animal and I seem equally bemused by each other's presence and keen to get back to more enjoyable activities.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a good host you are John although I agree with Susan ^ pies are far more difficult to make than cakes (unless you're using bought pastry).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh man John...I want to come and visit you ;) !!!! hehehe That pie looks delicious...I REALLY need to bite the bullet and make an apple pie soon...tis the season! I'm slowly getting back into cooking and baking mode again...summer is BBQ and salad time for us but now that the nights and days are cooler it's time to start up again and bring out the bread pans too. Your Mother In Law sounds sweet despite being 'citified' ...enjoy your visit with her and the rest of your weekend. I'm BBQing ribs for the hubby's family tomorrow..should be fun but I have to start tonight so I've got my work cut out for me. Great post.
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I held my tongue on your post about your kitty and the little 'presents' she brings into the house, but I'd be just as aghast as your MIL to find the remains of a baby rabbit outside my room. I had thought of posting a picture of the young rabbit who resides in our garden (I live outside Toronto) to try to soften your heart, but I have visited the U.K. and seen for myself that the sight of a bunny is far from a novelty over there. I couldn't believe my eyes driving one evening near Crief, Scotland - the soccer pitch was covered in 'em, not one square inch to spare!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmmmm! That pie's made me hungry! Off to munch on a chicken leg from last nights baked chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I too have been entertaining.There's nothing I like better than the sight of someone with their hands in my sink, washing the dishes!I am known in my family as The Feeder and have a reputation for being able to feed an army of teenagers in five minutes.Sadly it is exercised rarely these days but any horde will do.And the leftovers!! Trifle for breakfast beats muesli any day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous5:26 am

    My dick's a kipper?

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes