Jane Eyre


As a kid I remember thinking that Orson Welles' Rochester would never have fallen in love with the insipid, weepy Joan Fontaine in the 1943 version of Jane Eyre.....she was far too bloody wet!

Having said that, I couldn't also quite work out just why Fontaine would have swooned over Welles...
I always thought he looked just a little bug eyed and rather fat.

The latest version of Jane Eyre is a somber affair. It works, primarily because the characterisations of Rochester,Jane and the morally superior St John Rivers are faithful to the novel and the acting by Michael Fassbender,Mia Wasikowska and Jamie Bell is inteligent and carefully judged.


Fassbender is passionate yet not too cruel in his role of the lusty Squire and Wasikowska's plain Jane is just naive enough to be believable yet displays an innate  resilience....a realistic survivor of childhood abuse. she carries the movie effortlessly and is well worth watching..

Not a bag of laughs ( I felt just a little depressed by it all when I walked out of the cinema)..... but it is a worthy film

15 comments:

  1. LOL Mr. Wells BugEyed, I thought so too. Funny stuffings you are!

    Boxed Frogs Enabler,
    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it a weekend or two ago and thought it very well done.
    I think your review fairly well nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read 'Jane Eyre' years ago. We don't go to the cinema now, more's the pity. Are you taking M-i-L? Have a good night out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh bogs! got my wires crossed again. You've already been there and watched it, haven't you John. Hope you had a good night out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe a person's tastes and perception of characters in the movies changes as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane always makes me very happy for the crazy loudness of my life. Yet there is a part of me that would like to experiment with "prim" for just a few hours. "Proper" will never happen. Thanks for the review. Like most movies I;ll wait for the DVD to sell for $2 at the gargae sales next year

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great story, with enough roads and blind alleys to make several good films. I'm like Donna; I'll wait for the DVD, I hate cinemas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost rented this the other day, but I can't figure out if I saw it in the theater... all those English historical dramas seem all the same to me... full of hoppy young men in tight knickers and girls with dresses with so much material, they could easily outfit the royal palace in Windsor valances, if not full side panels to match.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our writers' group were talking about it (I have not seen it) and they felt it was good but not enough was made of her childhood. Also they didn't like the way it started at the end rather than at the beginning if you see what I mean. Glad you enjoyed it though.

    PS I always quite fancied Orson Welles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked this film. There is such crap in the theaters today, it is nice to see something well done.

    The movie was not crowded; the crowds were there for The Hangover, or was it Jackass.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved it, and would have loved to have seen even more of it...too short, but beautiful and well done.
    Have you seen the 2006 Masterpiece Theater version...it's wonderful, and very long!
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a timely discovery, entirely because you have visited me - a pleasure to have your company - and I'm having a proper peek (compared to a few weeks ago when I had a sneak peak and meant to return, finding quite a bit of common ground. And why is your Jane Eyre review timely? Because I have just noticed that it is due to screen at our local cinema and made a mental note to see it. So, great to have a wee review ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Saw the movie and loved it. Michael Fassbender is a guy to keep your eye on (and I'm not just saying that because he is half-German).

    ReplyDelete
  14. he was brilliant in a movie called HUNGER Iris look out for it

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hadn't heard of that movie (googled it just now), and would like to see it. He has definitely got something in his eye that captivates you.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes