A Good Cry

Dolly's video "slayed 'em in the aisles" didn't it?
.....and it was meant to....as sometimes the best way to get a message over whether it be in a documentary, film, tv programme or even a  piece of art, is to set the emotional juices going.
I take after my father in this respect,  I can cry at the drop of a hat.
Having said this, it is only today that I realise that I have never actually cried in front of my family...not since I was a boy , no I prefer crying in the safety and  anonymity of a darkened cinema or in my own front room...and the floodgates will often be opened full and wide when the subject of my "release" is a sad tale of an animal. especially if accompanied by some emotional music..


yeap cheap sentiment will get me every time


Now at work, I can reign  the emotions in behind a thin veil of professionalism This is  a vital skill for a nurse to possess..especially on Intensive Care, where at times the patients can be literally "dropping like flies" but just occasionally, I feel that the showing of emotion in the work area can be therapeutic to patients and their relatives alike, especially when there has been a bond between nurse and patient.


I have blogged before about the time of how  a diminutive Scottish sister and I were  once asked to wrap the arms of an old lady who had suddenly died around the shoulders of her grieving husband in a last close embrace and I know I have written about the time I shed a tear watching an Alzheimer patient waltzing delicately around the day room with her husband, oblivious to the reality of her situation .


But today, in view of that sad little "Dolly" Video, I was reminded of a "little" moment that occurred almost as an aside , on the busy ward I managed a few years ago now.


The ward was busy,but because the staff on duty were motivated and worked well as a team, there was, as I recall a kind of energy in the air as the late morning jobs were being completed before lunches were delivered. We had received the first emergency admission of two booked for that day and because a junior nurse was practicing being "in charge" of the ward, I had been allocated the admission.
It was not a hard case in so much that the emergency turned out to be an elderly man who had been found by his neighbour at the foot of his stairs. The man had sustained a devastating cervical injury which was ascending. He was unconscious and his breathing was compromised, so put quite bluntly..... he was dying.


My job was simple. I was to make him comfortable,  I was to locate the family and take care of them all before and after the patient's death.
As it turned out the man had no family, only the neighbour who had found him, and I was surprised to see a rough looking young woman in her 20s turn up to the ward asking to see him, after all  , I had envisioned the neighbour to be a vital kind of  spinsterish lady perhaps being in her 60s.It  even crossed my mind that this woman was perhaps this old man's drinking buddy of sorts, especially given the state of her


The young woman, who had, she informed me , three kids of her own back home, called on him daily with a meal, the paper and perhaps a wee "tot" of something and had done this for the past year or so since the death of his wife. She informed me in her thick Barnsley  accent that there was no living relatives that she knew of, for me to contact and asked if she could sit with him for a while which of course I agreed.


When she saw him, by the look on her face, I knew she understood the extent of his injuries and she started to cry, letting her tears splash onto his hand which she held up to her face.
As she did so,I noticed that she had a homemade tattoo stating "MOM" on her forearm
I removed his oxygen mask , so that she could see him properly and sat down next to them both as his breathing became more erratic


" I don' really know him very well at all" she explained after a while,"But I wanted to come in"


I remember looking at her cheap skirt and at the tattoos again and  I felt a little ashamed of myself at jumping to the more negative of conclusions.


"All of  us should have someone there with us at the end eh" she added sadly " someone to cry over us? "
She was nice, she was sincere and she was caring.....


And I had to bite my lip just a little more when I nodded my agreement


I have said this before.....funny what you remember isn't it?

32 comments:

  1. Thank you, for both posts. Dolly's story provoked immediate reaction within me. The second story will stay with me a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another chapter in your book, with very few revisions.

    Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post - especially given the bollix I heard on Radio 4 on Friday about uncaring nurses who just check out their Facebook pages all day long and allegedly don't give a toss about their patients' welfare. Rubbish! In my life I have known many nurses and I know how much of themselves they give to the job. A good nurse is worth more than a hundred bankers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That young neighbour who came in with the old man was really something. What a kind thing to do. A few years ago I worked for a while in a care home. One of the carers was a young miss about 20. She had a spikey crew cut, black at the roots, blonde at the top. She had several tattoos and a ring in her nose but you know John, she was the best one working there. She was just brilliant with the old folks and they loved her. It's quite true, you really can't judge a book by it's cover

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is an bizarre and amazing journey!
    Wishing you a peaceful Sunday!
    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I try to remember not to judge a book by it's cover; but it's not always easy to do.
    My mom called us sob sisters because we always cry at anything sad. My husband laughs at me though, when I cry, so I am glad he's outside when I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flipping heck, John. I'm a blubbering wreck AGAIN!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are probably all guilty of over hasty judgements. She probably just wanted to share her love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A perfect example of never judging a book by its cover John - we all do it and it takes a jolt like that to make us realise how wrong we can be about someone.
    I cry easily too - more so since I got 'old' - my father could cry at the drop of a hat and cried buckets at my first wedding in 1952!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could not watch the video of Dolly; I knew I would have been in a heap all day.

    I believe that most people are kind, but sometimes we need a little push to spring into action.

    I remember being taught the eight beatitudes in school and at home. They were so much better than the commandments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't watch the Dolly story, even after reading that there was a happy ending.

    Your story about the old man is saddening, yet heartening at the same time. I appreciate your sharing of the memory with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An excellent post, John. You may remember my comments about a doctor who cried that I placed on Dia's blog. That dear lady's compassion meant far more to me than any medicine that was doled out.And yes,it doesn't matter what the outside looks like;it's the kindness inside that counts. Nurses do a FANTASTIC job. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. elizabeth, I do remember what you wrote

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't do what you do John, just can't not take stuff on, so for self-preservation, I have to stay away.

    Thank goodness for people like you, and people like her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. jac
    I did nothing! the point of the blog was this rough diamond of a lass who taught ME a lesson
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Being a relatively new reader to your blog, I don not know any other post but this. It is a powerful one with several messages. "have a heart and sahre it", "care about your neighbor", "don't judge a book by it's cover" and "it's OK even empathetic to cry with others". As a nurse myself, I couldn't agree more with you on all counts! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous5:14 pm

    After growing up in a family where crying was strongly discouraged, I have proudly learned to blubber with the best (although I do tend to do it privately). Like every one else Dolly's story and today's had me sniffling.

    I have found compassion comes in many different packages. That woman is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My mother always told me that you should never judge a book by its cover and she was right.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh John, you and I have something else in common. I am a closet cryer. I do not like to cry in front of anyone. It takes a lot to get the water works flowing in front of people.
    Very touching about the gal who was with the old gent at the end. Never judge a book by its cover.
    You have such a kind soul. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. How incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a heart-touching story John.
    I'm glad she was there for him, in his life, and during his last hours.
    We should all be so lucky.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've tended to judge in the past John, but like you, my cynicism has been proven wrong many a time by experience.

    I wonder sometimes if anyone will be with me when I go...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sure tom will want to be there chris!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good post, John! You can never know, who has the biggest heart, by just looking at 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I learned the same lesson from a patient who was a big-burly-bearded smoke jumper in Alaska. He looked and seemed so rough and tough. But when I chatted with him, I found that while it was a tough exterior, the inside was kind, caring and compassionate. I've never forgotten him...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous3:23 am

    Can't judge a book as the old sayng goes...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Compassion comes in many packages, some of them not immediately recognisable

    ReplyDelete
  29. Most of us a very quick to judge and make assumptions about folks we don't know, thanks for reminding us that we are wrong to do so.
    Also, a big thank you for my prizes, the spoon and CD are wonderful, I had never heard of the love spoon tradition. I hope Margie is behaving herself, the last time I checked in a few weeks back it sounded like she was being a bit of a bitch.
    I hope all is well with you and yours, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm blubbering again. What a wonderful story. It restores faith in mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I started reading this the other day, and knew I didn't have the time it deserved...glad I
    came back!
    Will return often,
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous6:20 am

    You just never know who the real people will be. I so love to be surprised.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes