There is always something.......

With all this dreadful news on the radio I have had to resort to Classic Fm for my morning listening...I know that the media has a duty to let us know what is happening with "the riots", the credit crunch AND a effing double dip recession, but, I for one have had enough of all the doom,gloom and depression and now am blissfully taking my cue from the mythical ostrich and am happily sticking my head into the sand.
Pirrie upset being away from his own hens
One of my Rhode Island Red girls had a swollen eyes over the weekend. "Bubble eye" can be a sign of a more serious respiratory infection and has to be sorted immediately as the infection can rage through a flock with devastating results.
I isolated the bird immediately and treated it with baytril and eye baths, The rest of the birds were checked and all seemed ok  (I make it a point of keeping hens separated into a whole array of small coops so potential infections can be hopefully minimised to one area )....but after discussion with my new vet we decided to treat the flock with  prophylactic antibiotics. Which is a decision I am happy I kind of pushed for..
(and no it was not the George Clooney lookalike vet ...mores the pity)


Yesterday, as the Rhode Island was more or less back to her old self, I caught, Pirrie, an old bantam cockerel looking slightly quieter than usual, and so I have isolated and treated him too. Good observation and knowing your animals is vital in keeping them safe. I just hope I have noticed the potential problem early.


I was discussing all this with the vet's nurse this morning. She had just bought four hens and I was trying to flirt with her just a little so that she would take one of my spare frizzle cockerels from me...and although she obviously knows animal care, she was taken aback just a little with the amount of work that is involved if you are to look after a  group of animals properly.


"When I started " she said ruefully " I thought you just stuck them in the garden and left them to it!"


........if only........

25 comments:

  1. My 3 point-of-lay girls arrive on the 16th. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we're not the only people totally fed up with the news.
    We don't read newspapers, we don't own a tele (watch odd things on laptop) and we avoid any news on radio if possible.

    Briony

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a lot of that 'just leave them to it' about. Sometimes a shock when folk realise that a chickens can live well over 10 years too.

    It's a major commitment.

    A chicken is for life (not just for Sunday dinner)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS

    What riots??!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, Any excuse to go to the vets eh John?

    ReplyDelete
  6. or was that the new Doc, I cant keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I returned from my long weekend, I was upset to see that my worker had neglected to lower the radio antenna in the car wash and broke it off.

    But now I get no radio reception and have to listen to my cd's and find that I like it very much. No news, is certainly good news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't have any idea the amount of work involved in keeping chickens in a healthy condition, it's a daily struggle or so it seems.
    My hat's off to you John for all the hard work you put forth, not to mention the smiles you bring in the telling of your stories.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the rioters could do with a bit of your hen treatment. Isolating in cages, having stuff squirted in their eyes and a visit to the vet...

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a lot of work with any animal if done properly.

    Good job catching the illness early, saved more head aches later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope all your chickens are 100 percent soon. So much going on in the world, sometimes we just need to turn the TV off and stop reading the papers for a while and live in hope that one day everything will sort itself out. Unrealistic maybe, oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. parrot
    I think the rioters needed some good plain strict parenting, and supervision to realise what it important in life

    perhaps looking after chickens would be a start

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous12:14 pm

    It's hard to watch. I hear Birmingham is having trouble too. My Gran came from there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Out here in sleepy rural Ontario, the British riots came as a shock. Had a bit of a 'tut tut' with an English friend.
    Hubby and me gave up on TV/newspapers/talk radio a long time ago, and just watch the odd thing on the laptop....if you can call Corrie odd!
    Good luck with the flock!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You hussey, flirting with a nurse! Hrrrrumph. You KNOW how much nurses hate that [mainly because of how weak we all are]
    Did it work??? Or were you just trying to make George Clooney jealous? Ever watch Baby Boom? Now that vet makes my skirt fly up a bit and I suspect he would yours too
    Thought of you when I heard about the riots and hope you stay out of harms way

    ReplyDelete
  16. I gave up watching news many years ago and well not much TV to boot. News is just to darn depressing. I didn't know you guys were having riots over there. Sorry to hear that.
    Yes animals are a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. News? Who needs it? Unfortunately our daughter and husband live in Enfield...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you caught this in its early stages, John. All animals are work, but that doesn't stop us from having them.

    As for the news thing, I'm just the opposite, more interested (and appalled) now than I have been for years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous3:41 pm

    Oh my, thought she could just stick them in the garden "and leave them to it?" Well, at least she's a vet assistant, so maybe the chickens have a chance at decent care (along with your advice). I've seen naive people like her turn into great caretakers ... and disasters.

    I took a break from news to escape the fingerpointing after Poor's lowered the U.S. credit rating. Just today caught up with the London riots. Taking another break... As an ex-journalist, it's difficult to stay away completely, but I am finding it easier to distance myself from things I have no control over.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I trust elizabeth is fine john?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I gave up on the news a long time ago, John. That's why I love reading blogs. I want real life, so to speak.

    And I thought the same of chickens until I started reading blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Soon after I assumed my present professional position, I proposed to a neighboring farmer that I was considering using goats or sheep to clear my preserve of a horribly invasive vine called porcelain-berry (don't let the name fool you; it's the Kudzu of the North in eastern North America). I proposed setting up a pen and letting the animals have at it. My farmer friend upbraided me (nicely) and reminded me that I was no farmer. "Scott, you don't just put the animals in a pen and forget about them. They get sick, they get pregnant, they get injured, and they need shelter in the winter."

    I'd still like to try someday. Maybe I'll become an artisan goat cheese producer in my retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm a news and information junkie, and always have been, but at times, it's head-bangingly frustrating trying to discern the real news (AKA truth) from all the hype and spin. So you're right; sometimes we simply have to ignore the world's woes for a little while, and enjoy a glass of wine and a bit of good music. That's the only way to remain sane.

    As for that nurse's thinking about how to raise chickens, I've known some people who thought pretty much the same about raising their children.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Off to pour a beer. Bums gone numb. Back in five...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, I'm back. So's my not so numb bum.

    My goodness, that was a gloomy post to read, so full of doom and misery, I think I'll go and slit my own throat for a bit of welcome relief. On second thoughts, I'll turn on the news. Always lifts my spirits does that.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes