The Flower Show Committee Pie Fight


I have too much to do today. The backlog of jobs to be done before the open day seems to be growing, not shortening and I have been seriously been considering organising an "Open Day Committee" for next year's event....
Mind you Committee work is not an easy ride either!
We had our final Trelawnyd Flower Show Committee Meeting last night before the show itself which is on the 13th of August......
They are always lively, slightly confusing and animated affairs, where official committee protocols often go out of the window.
Everyone talks at once. Sticking to the agenda is sometimes an impossible task and after an hour or two I sometimes feel as though I have just worked a12 hour shift on intensive care. ( Goodness how the slightly deaf Auntie Gladys copes with the job of sifting information?)
Having said this....everything gets done, decisions are made and for such a small village, the large and motivated committee is a, I think, a credit to the community.

Anyhow I am grabbing a quick cuppa before:-

I collect animal feed from the wholesalers,
Buy bedding plants for the cottage hanging baskets
Collect the donated craftwork from the post office to sell on our bric-a-brac stall ( Thank you Wanda Glaze for making and sending it)
Pick up tea tables and chairs from Prestatyn
Collect 4 boxes of bric-a-brac,
locate the tea urn from the Village Friendship group
Collect 4 gazebos,
Clean out two hen houses (one has redmite starting)
Strim the lower part of the field,

Then I can walk the dogs, make dinner and deliver eggs

Yeap I think I  need a committee
Ps. forgive my lack of posting on the usual suspect blogs...when I get a minute I will catch up with you all


Just a quick postscript and message of thanks.
Today I received two large parcels from two fellow bloggers who have kindly donated items for our open day.
I couldn't quite believe the home made items that were sent by Wanda Glaze from up there in Orkney......beautifully hand crafted bags, tea cosies and stockings, all beautifully presented and wrapped for me literally overwhelmed me.Thank you so much for the time effort and kindness it took to send them to me.


The other parcel was from Craig over at http://cognacguy.blogspot.com/.
and it was filled to the brim of home made cakes .as well as a donation for the day. Again the time, effort and the thoughtful nature of the gift is very humbling. I am very grateful for his contribution

28 comments:

  1. That made me feel exhausted just reading it, John!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Jennyta. I'm going to bed for a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a couple of pigs and four hens on that committee John?

    Plenty to do by the sound of it. How do you know that red mite is starting please?

    I am doing a non-rain dance each day (don't ask) to ensure that you get fine weather. I couldn't be more worried if it was me organising it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and I suppose for the rest of the day you'll simply do nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The devil makes work for idle hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always a toss-up between how difficult it is to do it all yourself versus how difficult it is to get other people to do it for you. Most of the time I default to the former!
    Good luck this weekend...I'm sure it's going to be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have worked every hard for this to fall into perfect place. It will be a great success and largely, because of you.

    Remember to take a moment to stand back and enjoy the creation of great friends and lots of hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:20 pm

    And I suppose 21 will be getting a bath and a pink ribbon for the big day and, of course, a very attractive little display area?
    Get busy now...no more slacking at the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And you want to be in the choir!?
    We are here for you John....to help keep you organized! lol Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have more energy than anyone I know. I'm doing the same thing as the others, toddling off for a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A word of the day for you dear:

    D E L E G A T E!!!!!!!!!!

    And aren't bloggers awesome. Those items look wonderful. Straight from the heart.

    I am getting back down to earth from the family visit and the ensuing period of sorting life back into routine. takes a while. We will be here when you emerge. Will think of you over a cocktail.

    Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you John...what a job you've got ahead of you! That was very nice of your blogging friends to send you all the goodies and crafts...very thoughtful indeed! Good luck with getting everything done and I'll be watching to see how things go. Enjoy your day!
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is quite a getter done list you have there. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely was that! And yeah, I'm going back to bed after reading all that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I seem to end up always being the recording secretary for committees I've been on. A good way to stop unorganized meetings is to record exactly what is said by whom. It's annoying to listen to disorganized talk, but it makes the speaker look really silly when it's on paper. My favorite thing is to record disparaging remarks people make about those who did not attend the meeting. I can do this because I take my laptop and type really fast. And also I occasionally like to cause trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It appears you have worn us all out! Loved seeing the Little Rascals (Our Gang?).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you need to clone yourself a couple of times. Either that or hire minions!

    How sweet of Wanda and Craig to sehnd such delightful things! If i lived closer, i'd be glad to donate my raspberry crop for your do on Sunday.

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi John... you're a good guy and you deserve it, no problem. If you need to identify them on Sunday, they are apricot and ginger muffins (in spite of what they may actually look like!)
    Don't work too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How do you fit it all in?

    ReplyDelete
  20. AL
    i DONT!
    I have neglected blog reading which I regret...will catch up as soon as the open day is over

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is said that 10% of the people do 90% of the work. The rest are smart enough to say NO.

    But smart is not the same as good. You and all the folks who put this event together are GOOD people

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seeing your list of things that you had to get done today, I don't know how you had the time to stop by my blog--But I'm glad you did and I hope that it means you got everything done!

    I can see you with a puppy at some point John--Each day we've had 'Scottie Todd' I've laughed at something he has done, what a charmer!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gee, John, I hope you get a chance to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. busy busy... how thoughtful to send those goodies. Bloggers are a caring bunch I find & recent events have prooved this ( you know what I'm talking about ! )

    ReplyDelete
  25. The problem with committees is that you then have to spend time going round putting right that they have got wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Reminds me of Rupert Murdoch - wonder why?

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes