Maggie The Cat

"Truth! Truth! Everybody keeps hollerin' about the truth. Well, the truth is as dirty as lies."
*

"Living with somebody you love can be lonelier than living entirely alone, if the one you love doesn't love you"

*

I was never really a fan of Elizabeth Taylor...to me she was simply too beautifully "1950s" to tick my more character led needs in that warm sultry Ava Gardner-ish way that I like so much....that was, however, until I saw her performance of Maggie-the-Cat.....
There was something very special about that sexy,manipulative and  edgy  performance that caught my attention as a teenage movie buff geek that I was....of course her acting was enhanced wonderfully by Paul Newman's cool indifferent Brick and by Burl Ives' "There ain't nothin' more powerful than the odor of mendacity..." Big Daddy....but you have to hand it to Taylor...she stole that movie fair and square from the men.....and will be always remembered for what it was....a class act by a great actress.
 
It is a glorious day here with temperatures in the mid 60s.....the dogs are sitting in the shade by my brother's pond, while I down the caffeine enriched diet coke in an effort to wake up a little. Andrew was not quite up to be dragged outside to play with Constance.....so Mohamed went to the mountain so to speak and huffing and blowing Constance galloped up the stairs for their first proper greeting.. it seemed to have gone well

She meets the mother  in law later.....I wonder how Sorrel will cope with a flatulent,slobbering,monster of a bitch with no teeth.ground dragging nipples and bad breath!
Hopefully with some alacrity
hey ho

20 comments:

  1. I never really knew her either but loved her beauty. Maybe I'll write about her today. Who knows!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And she led the fight against AIDS at a time when others, including the US govenment, would not even speak the word.
    For that I will always honor her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that she did peter...and did so with great strength of spirit

    ReplyDelete
  4. More to her than just pleasing to the eye! That's hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always admired Miss Taylor. This is the early 1960's Ina talking. As a girl I would devour the Photoplay magazine articles written by Hedda Hopper or Louella Parsons detailing her latest antics with Eddie Fisher or Richard Burton. Loved her eyes, jewelry, makeup.

    Lovely lady. Hollywood icon, one of the last. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. From National Velvet on, she stole my heart...a regal beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaah aaasked it of Julius Caeser...Aaah demaaaand it of you!"

    There'll never be another quite like her.

    I watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf last night and was, as ever, moved by the pain and grief of her response: "I am George, I am."

    I loved her all my life - I guess I always will.

    Fot her beauty, her talent, her courage and her lust for life, we should never forget her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you believe that I never saw Cat on a Hot Tin Roof until about 15 years ago? Even then I wasn't sure of what I was getting myself into...But I am a lover of classic movies, and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof did not disappoint! What could be better than Paul Newman and oh yeah Elizabeth Taylor?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciated the tribute to Ms.Taylor, John. There was a lot more to her than just her beauty. It's like something is missing now......

    Hope the two 'bitches' get along famously! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' is one of my favourite movies ever. I love Tennessee Williams. I loved her for all her humanitarian work, her efforts to make people less afraid of what they didn't understand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good tribute. Much better than what I've seen on TV here.

    Hope you're all enjoying your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The last of the great beauties is gone. We have no one close to her to take over the wonderful work she has done. I only hope she will be loved and honored forever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. John my old bean! ((((HUGS))) It's been a long time, but it's so good to find that things are just as they should be in your world of feathery, furry critters xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yet another chunk of life gone from our lives. It seems that every time an icon like Liz Taylor moves on, there's a little less substance to life, especially to someone my age.
    I'm sure Mr Burton was there to greet her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She garnered my admiration with all the support she gave to AIDS research back in the late 80s and 90s. When most folks were afraid to catch the "Gay Cancer (virus" just by being near someone with the diease; she stood her ground. I almost choked up listening to a a speech she gave to Congresss; you knew she was sorely missing her friend Rock Hudson.

    And yes, She was magical as Cat and stole the entire film.

    Much respect for the grand dame of cinema.

    Mal

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe how fast she was buried...guess it had all been organized for a while.

    Lovely lady both inside and out....

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  17. A truly beautiful woman - inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning lady - not many like her

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous5:31 pm

    My god she was a beautiful woman! What a life. What a star. One of these days I HAVE to watch one of her movies because I've always understood she was a brilliant actress as well. :-)
    I hope Andrew is adjusting to all the changes with some degree of success. I'm sending him all good and loving (and patient/resilient) thoughts!
    Dxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Constance has no teeth? Where did I miss that and what happened to them?

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes