Mother Love- Animal Kingdom

Animal Kingdom is a rather bleak but very worthy Australian thriller that takes a somewhat depressing but engrossing look at the mother of all dysfunctional families within the criminal world of blue collar Melbourne.


Jacki Weaver- Mother love
 Estranged Grandson (James Frecheville ) is reunited with his Grandmother (Jacki Weaver ) after his mother's death by overdose. His three Uncles , Psychopath Pope (Ben Mendelsohn), weakling Darren (Luke Ford) and the over excitable Craig (Sullivan Stapleton) then face a complete meltdown after the police execute their benign and more balanced criminal partner Baz (the lovely Russel Crowe lookalike Joel Edgerton) in an illegal effort to clear the streets.


Matt Cardle -albeit the rougher Australian version (Joel Edgerton)
 Director David Michôd,presents a taut and well .paced story of an underclass brood which is led by a monstrous smiling mother who would make Ma Baker look like Mary Poppins. Jacki Weaver pitches her hard as nails Betty Crocker performance just right......and is quite amazing as the odious, and ever so slightly incestuous Smurf Cody

I was the only one in the cinema last night ( Chris was working very late so couldn't go) ! But it was worth making the effort.....and at least no daft bugger with a crackling bag of sweets got on my tits!. 8/10

Yesterday I finally organised the largest of my veg patches (above) which I was happy about given the fact that the rest of the week will be given up to work ( I am on nights tonight and on Sunday ) , to Sorrel( my mum in law's) visit on Thursday and tomorrow I will be over at my brother's house........Yeap the rest of today will be taken up with the usual tradition of operation dog snot removal

15 comments:

  1. Wanna go see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want your garden, fence and all! It looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think I'll pass on that movie.
    You are about two months ahead of our 'planting' season......we can't till the full moon in June!! And aren't you further 'north' than us? Or is it the Gulf Stream that makes your season longer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You Brits and your phrasings... 'a daft bugger with a crackling bag of sweets got on my tits'... hilarious. Next time someone does that at the theater, I'll be too busy laughing at you to be mad at them

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I fancied that film when I read the review recently. Australians do "gritty" quite well. Your review has whetted my appetite even more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been a gardening fool, too. Got horseradish in the ground last week, the potatoes are almost 6 inches tall, asparagus is out and fattening up, rhubarb is leafing out, and the fall broccoli is still producing. I have to pull the turnips out tonight, they are starting to flower, and the herb garden just got replanted with the ones I lost during our unusually cold winter...happy spring, John!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done wonders with that garden John. What a lot of work! It looks about four times the size of my little vege patch.

    I agree with Craig - the Aussies do gritty well. Jacki Weaver is an amazing actress. Were you really the only person in the cinema? I've never been that lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS John... I decided not to pack it in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jackie Weaver was the maid in Picnic at Hanging Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a coincidence, we watched a film last night called 'The Mother' with a young Daniel Graig and Anne Reid, not bad.
    Briony

    ReplyDelete
  11. Birony
    The Mother is quite an unsettling movie as I recall...Anne Reid is quite wonderful in it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a 'heavy' film, it would make me cry.
    The allotment plot is looking spiffy, you've been busy.
    I used to go to the pictures with my dad, if someone was making a noise with their snacks, people would 'tut' and shame them into being quiet.
    Sadly no longer, they even talk on their cell-phones during the piggin film !
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. that sounds like a good movie.....still can't see the veggie patch for snow here {SIGH}

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5:35 pm

    For all your bitter cold this winter I think you must still have a milder climate than mine. I envy you your garden preparations already! What's growing in the greenhouse so far? Picking any greens yet?
    Dia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice Pictures and topic I like it...http://www.herbs-wholesale.com/brand/mother-love.html

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes