Shamed

Post night shift dog sleep
After a couple of hours sleep ( with Chris sarcastically taking the mickey stating that he thought  I always stated that I was "busy, busy, busy") I took all of the dogs around the Gop and the village.
There are a couple of nicely kept allotment plots situated right in the centre of Trelawnyd, and this morning both were being tended to and kicked back into pre planting shape by their owners The Camerons and The Smiths.........I stopped to chat and stated I felt dreadful that my own plots were so behind theirs!
I must admit I do envy not having an "on hand" neighbour with which to banter with. Allotment owners can be a strange breed. competition between plots can be subtle but is always there...so when one plot has a nice row of cloches...the other is sure to follow........it is not pettiness at all.....it is a healthy competitive drive and remains great fun!

Craig over at dykesedge allotments makes me smile, as his allotment is the perfect example of what I term is a UBER-ALLOTMENT! It is fantastically ordered and neat, and has the ultimate shed to die for ( complete with solar lighting , decking and no doubt an Ikea kitchenette and secret stash of whiskey next to an arm chair)
Beat that Alan Titmarsh!
So this week I am resolved to get going again....ok a shed which scales the same heights as Craig's may be a no no.. but I think I will try and get a small temporary poly tunnel as well as some proper fencing for the plots......the Flower Show and Open Allotment day countdown has begun

27 comments:

  1. We humans are a competitive creature, aren't we? Can't wait to see what your shed looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look shot! Wondered where Constance was....

    Keeping up with the Jones-es has been a thing through the ages, I believe. That "shed" looks rather like a den! I would love it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the photo (which is very cute btw) you are very industrious John. Putting me to shame today...it's 11.30 and I'm still in my bathrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! Sleepy time! That is a cute photo! Everyone has to have a nap sometime...even you, John! You always seem busy to me. xxxx oooo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You tired old cock! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the first photo John and I love that little shed too...very nice. I could spend lots of time in the garden with a shed like that.
    Hope your Sunday has been a good one so far.
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. unfortunately i havent a shed like that one

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg! I think I could happily live in that little shed!

    Quick definition of Allotment, for this ignorant Yank? Thx!

    kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. John, resting?

    ReplyDelete
  10. an allotment is a purely British invention ( I think)
    it is usually a small plot of land amongst many others each one rented by an induvidual or family
    The plots have rules ie. keeping the place tidy etc and usuallycomprise of small veg and fruit plots with water butts abd hopefully a small shed or greenhouse.
    Many local councils in the UK rent out plots of land for this purpose
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That first photo surprises me. Most of the time, the person doesn't get THAT much room to sleep... :)

    I have to laugh, here, the big compitition is who can get the lawn mowed and looking nice the first. Let's say, once it's above freezing, all bets are off. And I won't say a word about a certain Dad of mine, who is usually first...

    Cat (Who would adore a shed like that...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's not an alotment - that's a retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone, and thank you John. You reminded me actually, I have a bottle of Irish Cream to stash away over there, and when it is insulated/vented better not just for keeping warmth in during the winter, but the heat of the summer out I will be keeping the demijohns there ;) So shhhh!!!

    What you see with the shed is just the beginning folks! I have really big ideas.

    Sorry John, but you might just have to remind your readers with a follow up in a few months time ;) oh it is going to get a lot more exciting yet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I believe a little competition is great for the soul!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello John, I have been trying to think of something witty to say about the picture of you, but I'm drawing a total blank...that hardly ever happens! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:44 am

    Blissfully asleep with the K-9s...and then on to the congenial competitiveness of the allotment gardeners! Look forward to seeing photos of you preparing your space for gardening triumphs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a cozy bed full.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely pic of you and the dogs.

    I well remember busy night shifts and the consequent exhaustion ... ! By the time you catch up on your sleep, it's time to go back to work again.

    And as for that so-called shed - It's like a luxury apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember something like that system in Germany...I remember seeing a bunch of little what I thought of as cottages, but no bigger than that shed, on tiny plots with immaculate gardens. I was told that city dwellers rented them and visited them on weekends.
    Maybe I'm mistaken, it's been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You did have an on-hand neighbour - though curiously, I don't recall the conversation ever going towards vegetables...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha! to the photo and good gracious, that's a shed? It has more mod cons than my house. And a parrot.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous gin palace that shed would make on a summers eve. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous gin palace that shed would make on a summers eve. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. No point you auditioning for "Sleeping Beauty" I'm afraid. Try Mr Potato Head instead. After all, you are on a raised bed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My grandfather had a shed with a bed in it that he used to snooze in after going to the pub at lunchtime. The prefect arrangement in my view.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes