Mother Love and Community Council

Badger activity has increased on the field. I know there is a set in the rented grazing fields somewhere nearby and a single boar seems to be living under the old shed on an unused plot of land just behind our cottage.
They are, I will admit beautiful animals, but they are also hefty and destructive predators that will damage flower beds and hedges as well as killing any single hen that can be cornered on their nocturnal exploits.

This morning , I found that Cora's small broody hutch had been rolled over by powerful claws sometime during the night. The hutch was intact and luckily had been knocked onto its front,protecting Cora inside. so I gently righted it and opened the door.
Cora growled gently at me but sat firm on her six eggs and as I checked each one gently for cracks I could only marvel at the plucky mothering instinct these little scraps of birds exhibit when they go broody.
Every spring a handful of my hens have chicks.and with their little brains no larger than an average peanut, they seem to possess all of those enviable mothering emotions , such as concern, pride and affection for chicks no bigger than a cotton reel.
It is a little miracle of evolution and it never fails to move me every time I see it.
Cora's eggs were all intact, and she looked absolutely fine when I checked her over. She fed and drank briefly then settled herself down onto her eggs with a low cluck as I weighted her hutch down with some heavy rocks.

Next week I attend my first Community Council meeting.
I applied to fill a vacancy on the committee before Christmas and was very happy to be accepted   Way back in 2005 I promised myself that when we moved from city to village, that I would make an effort to join in with community  activities. Now, I  am not a particularly committee orientated person, in fact the bread and butter meetings that were the stuff of management within the NHS used to drive me insane, but the older I get, the more interested I have become in what goes on  on my own doorstep and I would like the opportunity to learn more about what community decisions can be made at a grass roots level...

My friend Nigel, suspects that the meetings will be something akin to those seen in  .The Vicar of Dibley......he may be right....but I will keep my thoughts on this one, strangely to myself!

26 comments:

  1. Strangely enough I get the same picture about these type of meetings :-). Glad to hear that Cora is still well and sitting.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a fine, upstanding member of the community, John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tom!
    dont be sarcastic
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Cora! I wonder what went on in her little head to go tumbling like that? A wonder that all the eggs were fine! Maybe you need tie-downs, like the mobile homes, the badgers are getting smart!

    So, you are not going to give us the dish on what happens at the Community Council? Sure....

    I'm headed to bed, G'Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Cora. Would that more human mothers had the instincts of a broody hen.
    I know what you mean about joining the community. When I retired from by library job in NY city and moved back to my small home town in New England I felt the same way. I am now on more committees than you could shake a stick at. But their meetings are more intersting than the administration meetings I had to attend at the library. And more useful.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. a brain the size of a peanut?? Oh THAT big?!!

    We have badgers trying to dig a sett in the garden- they've come down from the woods at the back.
    As you say, magnificent creatures but no nearer thankyou!

    Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  7. No no no no no no yes. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will be a valuable addition to the counsel...enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cora. A role model for sure. Please give her my best from across the farmyards and tell her I'll be sharing her story with my own chickens this am. They need the motivation as its been a tough winter here in Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now this will produce some pretty funny posts! I'm sure! Especially that 'The Vicar' was my favourite of all time!!!
    But of course discretion will be of the essense....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi John, I don't comment on all of your blogs, but rest assured I read them faithfully everyday.
    Would love a night time picture of the badger if you could get one.
    Make a hide and camp out for me would you. lol.
    Briony

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a coincidence, I've just come back from doing my weekly shop and the vicar of Dibley theme tune was on the car radio!
    I can just imagine you at the meetings. Yes yes yes yes yes no.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the anticipation of babies on the farm. Good for Cora!

    ReplyDelete
  14. John: I will let you know!
    Sharon & Jim: I have to be careful me thinks!
    Peter: sounds that your life would make a more interesting blog than mine!
    T&B: you toox
    Diane & Mouse: so I am Jim Trott then am I?
    Gail & Briony: thank you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diane took the words right out of my mouth!

    Glad to know Cora's all right, and her eggs are safe.

    megan

    ReplyDelete
  16. After starlings, Badgers are my next favourite creature. Chickens come 127th just after bluebottles and pygmy shrews.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello John! I'm so glad that your little Cora and her eggs survived their upset intact...isn't it funny how determined those little hens can be when they're in the 'mood'! I have my little Helen From Hell and geez she's a little grouch when she's 'setting'. Congrats on your new position! Hope you have a wonderful evening and weekend.
    Maura :) PS...John can you please email me?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well you can see in the U.S.A. what is going on in Wisconsin and soon to happen in Ohio.. Yikes~!
    In Wisconsin some of the men went to Illinois for the day and didn't show up so they didn't have to vote.
    I'm glad you are going to be involved with your community.. I think you will have a good voice with your opinions and give good advice..
    So glad that Cora is O.K. at first when I saw this picture of her I thought her body was gone and all that was left was her head. Then I realized from seeing this picture in your past posts that she is sitting on her eggs and only her head is sticking out. LOL
    Are you allowed to set live traps for these unwelcomed animals that are coming to harass your animals?
    Hope so..
    Have a tiggeriffic day~! ta ta for now from Iowa:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cora is a splendid role model. I hope you can give us an inkling of what the council meetings are like, even if you have to be oh so very discreet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. John, thank you for the visit and the follow, what a nice surprise.
    I'm so sorry this happened to Cora, thank heavens she and her 'chicks' are alright. I have a little Doxie friend Miss. Ginger who would love a chance at finding those badgers...that's actually what they were bred for, I believe she's constantly on the hunt for one.
    Good for you for getting involved in your community, I want to do the same in our little burb when we finally settle into our new house...hope it's a nice and easy experience for you.
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a cool shed.

    We have lots of badgers in the banked hedgerows near my house in Wales. They are destructive though. Last year there was cull about which had very mixed feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My daughter managed to collide with a badger one night when driving home the front end of the car was a wreck and did not do the badger much good either.
    John - NHS management meetings are an acquired art - not ! That's when my apps on my iPhone come in handy ;)
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am eagerly awaiting the first photograph of the chicks when they arrive John. I used to have them regularly when I kept bantams - the first clutch I had I was so excited that I wanted to put them in the Births column of our local paper!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What I should have said was that they have a fine, upstanding member of the community in you, John.

    ReplyDelete
  25. If I thought a community meeting here was going to be that entertaining I might be more inclined to want to attend them..lol

    As for your brave little hen...I hope you can put a stop to whatever came calling during the night...We recently lost more than half our flock over about an 8 to 10 week period due to a very persistent bobcat...He would find new ways in each time we thought we finally had it tight...He took a toll on our neighbor's (1/2 mile separating)flock also.

    Best of luck in your new position..

    Blessings Kelsie

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes