Not Enough Monsters

 
Monsters has been hailed as a thrilling post modern sci-fi monster movie by many of the broadsheets, and whilst I can appreciate this story of two Americans negotiating a Mexican no go area where aliens have been allowed to flourish.This drama never actually thrilled, engaged or even really interested me very much which is a shame!
Monsters didn't interest me, because the whole story lacked any real tension and not a great deal actually happened as wayward photojournalist Kaulder (Scoot McNairy ) leads heiress tourist Sam (Whitney Able ) to safety, through a third world backdrop of corrupt officials, poverty and jungle.
One set piece where the odd and strangely non frightening octopus-like monsters attack the small convoy of Americans and their guards is impressive...but thats it! There are some lovely shots of the jungle, a great deal of naturalistic acting and some interesting  shots depicting downbeat scenes of destruction and decay but the whole thing lacked the very monsters that were "advertised" in the title. Therefore the movie didn't engage me the way the likes of Cloverfield and District 9 did.
The love story between Sam and Kaulder is quite nicely observed....but after an hour of will they. won't they? I was wishing I would have been transported to a  battered New York under siege........
5/10

9 comments:

  1. I agree. It never seemed to live up to the hype for me. though, I did enjoy the special effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...negotiating a Mexican no go area where aliens have been allowed to flourish. ...

    I thought all of mexico was a 'No Go' area and full of aliens and the only people who like going there are the Americans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't top JohnD's comment.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the use of a monster movie if you never see any monsters?

    ReplyDelete
  5. john
    I think that was the ironic message in the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, I watched Cloverfield the other night and thought the best actor as the macho friend (?Hud)behind the camera - who we (thankfully) saw so little of!

    Be a while before I watch it again! I'm going to watch Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett in Robin Hood tonight - more my style! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. john
    cate ( an aussie like yourself) does a wonderful sheffield accent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never mind the film, what's with the terrifying chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:26 am

    Must be Titus' first time here in a while. Although I've swung by probably twenty times since you posted that photo and it still startles me every time.
    I love District 9! I'll pass on Monsters per your advice.
    Dia

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes