When Geese Attack

There is a feral cat that lives some where in the Graveyard. He is a nasty big bugger, who effortlessly survives by killing rabbits along the field borders. He causes me no real problems with the birds but poor Albert has been ambushed quite a few times now by the meaner and larger animal.
The last assault came late one night when the tom bushwhacked Albert right outside the back door. Albert's plaintive howling galvanised every dog to come to his rescue and all of them shot outside barking the cat away. like a pack of wolves.
This morning, the cat was back. I saw him first thing, slinking around the long grass by the farthest coop, and I thought no more about him. The rabbits in the field often crowd the field borders,so I just presumed he was out hunting.
As I was filling the water butts, I saw him flattened out in the grass and it was immediately evident that he was not stalking a rabbit. The object of his attentions was in fact two of the ghost hens who had already eaten and had waddled off behind a tussock of grass to sleep their usual couch potato and slightly helpless, sleep.
Before I could do anything, the geese glided into the scene; with necks extended in anger and fear Winnie and Jo honked and spat at the stranger, and with the three magpie ducks chattering behind them, the five birds effectively out flanked the cat.

Now I have seen the turkeys "face off" a predator before (usually George gets the bum deal) but this was the first time the geese AND the ducks had shown their true metal. Within 20 seconds the bemused cat had retreated towards the church wall and 10 seconds later the angry birds had forced him out of the field, hopefully for good.

I have always found these "little moments of drama" fascinating to watch.

11 comments:

  1. Life on the streets in Sheffield are so peaceful and less violent by comparison!! I hate Geese. I once walked a 5 mile detour to avoid one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In earlier days geese were kept as "guards" and honked and carried on whenever strangers intruded into their area. Wasn't it Rome that was saved by a Hun invasion by the honking of the geese?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Winnie and Jo and their duck battalion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have geese and they can be very intimitating - you just have to know how to handle tham. I find that if I show them that I am even a little bit scared of them they make the most of it and come at me. I just open my arms wide and walk at them shouting at them, I'm sure if anyone saw me they would think I was a mad woman - maybe I am??
    They sometimes remind me of the school playground game - 'what's the time Mr Wolf', I think that's what it's called. You walk away and they follow you, when you turn around they stop still and turn their heads away. And they will do that for a long time if you let them.
    I have never seen them defend another animal though. that must have been fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting sue...
    I have no doubt that they were just being arsey rather than defending the benign hens...they are youngsters and are just coming into their own!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would guess the geese and ducks just earned their keep! I have never been chased by ducks, but geese.... yah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well good for your ducks and geese, defending the hens...

    We have feral cats here as well,grrrrr. I realize they are just trying to survive but they can be so mean. We have had to trap a few and take them to other areas...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah...there's something to be said for safety in numbers. The fearlessness in the face of the "enemy" is amazing.

    I once worked at a place where geese native to our state (Canada Geese) grazed on the lawn. They were fine during the fall and winter, but once they had chicks, they were fierce. By giving them even the slightest berth, I usually avoided their wrath, but from time-to-time, one would try to be the big guy and come after me hissing and wings extended. I would stand my ground and slowly continue my walk, all the while telling him to "chill out". They came close to me but never bit me. Guess there is something to that advice of not showing the geese your fear. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's what I call a superb gaurd team! I wouldn't worry about the feral coming back around too close anymore with those gaurds on duty. Poor Albert! Glad he wasn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Told ya geese were mean.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes