Saturday Thoughts

When I discuss village life on this forum, I try very hard NOT to make the place sound saccharine and unreal.........Words sometimes can belie your true meaning of a situation....and I know I can sound a little “Pollyanna-ish” on occasion, but that is not my intention I can assure you.
Today I am remembering those small actions of thoughtfulness that occur when your life rubs alongside that of others in a small community. This week I was presented with a large bunch of dahlias from a neighbour after I made an off the cuff remark about how stunning they were waving in the back of her garden and a couple of days before that we were given a lovely apple pie by a lady who I had given some fruit to at the allotment open.( funnily enough she made a point for me not to mention her name on the “blog”)
Yesterday an elderly couple made the effort to call around to give me a teaching session on how to re design the back garden flower beds (I have a tendency to over-plant Everything) and I have not even started to describe the flurry of little packages of stale bread, pasta, old fruit for Boris and plastic bags full of egg cartons that are left with regularity on the cottage wall without ceremony.
There is one main reason why these small kindnesses occur ( apart from me being a lovely person tee hee) and that is time. I luckily have the time in this modern, rushed and frenetic world to interact with people within the village, and that others that work full time, just do not have the opportunity to do what I have the privilege to do.

Ok, I will also concede that I do make the effort with people also... and small kindnesses on my part, do go a long way........but generally I have learnt that a change from the modern hysteria of "getting things done" has opened up the positives of social interaction and barter.

I am working nights tonight and with the stupid change of when weekdays start at work ( they now start on a Sunday) I will be working all of next weekend...so today we will perhaps go out for lunch.
I harvested my artichokes yesterday which I steamed for a starter last night, and they were lovely! Artichokes for tea....very grown up!
The news is full of the Pope's visit......and although I am pretty ambivalent about him in general, I do hope that he has a positive visit.... The Vatican's vocal and outdated views on homosexuality leaves me absolutely cold and means that I effectively have turned my back on what else the Roman Catholic Church has to say.. To me Pope Benedict has experienced all of the problems that Kate Winslet faces with her reinvention of Joan Crawford's much loved role of Mildred Pierce.... he has stepped into the Papal slippers of the saintly and humble Pope John Paul........and to many he will always resemble a poor second.
I wonder what PR staff the Vatican employs?
ps. A lady left me a huge bunch of quail eggs yesterday....20 are now in the incubator!!!

20 comments:

  1. Yes!, Having kind neighbours is nice - this morning I was given a bucket of mint runners - most of which I planted in large pots, knowing its tendency to 'take over' garden beds. I told one neighbour about them and half an hour later he turned up with a dozen Red Gauntlet strawberry plants, which put me back potting again - this time I planted them in a decreasing size three pot tier - photo to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, I posted the onion stringing video you asked me about the other day. If you need to know anything else about it just ask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering when you would be getting around to bashing Kate for attempting the role. Some things in life should just never happen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do envy your close relationship with your neighbors, I envy you for having neighbors! I would dearly love to be near more people!

    The flowers are really stunning!

    I don't know about the Pope, so no comment either way.

    Quail eggs! How long will they take?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John, glad the onion video was ok for you but if you you think that was a Blue Peter moment wait until you see how I filmed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello John!
    I guess it goes without saying that 'you get back what you put out' (or something like that) and you are a perfect example of that. You really do go out of your way to interact with your neighbours and you don't see that too much any more. You are an 'old soul' and I wish there were more like you out there. You have a good day and don't work too hard tomorrow. Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with Sharon with this post. I like my neigbhors, hubby on the other hand not so much. And add to that, we are spread out quite a bit from other folks. HUGS :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate Winslet as Mildred Pierce? I do have a difficult time in watching the 'classics" being remade. Those movies are called classics for a reason!
    Random, small acts of kindness goes along way.
    As for the Pope, well, my views are like yours.
    So, how long does it take for Quail eggs to hatch? What are you going to do with them when they do hatch?

    ReplyDelete
  9. yawn....
    just had a small sleep before work!!!
    17 days for quail eggs!!!!
    they are tiny...will post a photo tomorrow
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Small town living does for sure have its perks.

    I love when I go to my little tiny post office, they know me there. One gal in particular who I guess I won't use her name LOL maybe some wouldn't like that. Anyway, she is the nicest thing. Her and her DH raise Deer! She always asked about our goats. We chat when there are not others waiting in line. I took her a jar of Pear Honey. Last week she said bring Sterling up to the post office so I can see him. LOL and she meant it. I decided I would, why not he will fit in a tote bag LOL...

    Neighbors give us. Figs, Pears etc. I have given produce to our neighbors as well. Yes I like small town living.

    Everyone goes out of their way not to run over me when I am out on my morning runs. :O). Thats really nice as some drivers would just a soon run over you as not LOL.

    However, I do enjoy my privacy very much that living out like this allows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah! Another lesson coming up on fowl husbandry. Quails....will be interesting to watch these guys grow.
    What goes around, John, comes around. We'd all like to have a neighbour like you man. Now come on, admit it.....you are a nice guy!
    As for the pope, I don't have enough space here. And I like my weekends calm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're lucky to have great neighbors too. We live in the boonies in pretty harsh country, and we help each other out when we need it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think what is done for you is so nice John! I have to admit to being a bit envious of your friends and neighbors being so generous with what they have and their small gifts! I think that's the part of neighbors that I miss the most--But it's better that we don't have any because of the dogs. I know some would consider them a problem and I shudder to think of having a neighbor who would make trouble for us because they didn't like them--I'v been there and done that already...

    I hope you have an easy "weekend" at work! ~Take care!~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you are something of a social butterfly John. Very friendly and outgoing, so of course you attract nice people!

    I like nice, QuIeT neighbors... Meaning nice people that generally keep to themselves. I'm not big on "visiting with" people, though when I'm in social situations no one can detect that. I have a few close friends that I hold dear, and consider most else just acquaintences. Both Patrick & I have to force ourselves to be sociable. (Bah Humbug??)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous4:06 am

    Quail eggs, the Pope, artichokes and tea, the value of community, Time, AND Kate Winslet? What a feat. Bravo my friend. Bravo.

    Popped over to Janet's blog...what a great thing she's doing! (The hubster and I NEED bracelets! I've sent her an email to see how to do it.)

    Also, rather than a long comment, would you consider doing a guest blog post? I think it would be invaluable to get a perspective from someone with as much experience as you have with the subject. Just a thought and only if it's easy and something you'd be interested in. No pressure. Otherwise a long comment will be delightful! Dia

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I lived within a community such as yours. I am envious but glad you are grateful.

    There was an incident of abuse in our parish when I was in school. The whole abuse scandal makes me sad. It seems to run rampant in the states, not sure how bad it is overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you everyone for your comments great as usual
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I the old guy were my client, I'd advise elocation lessons. Like it or not, he has the accent of Conrad Veidt in Casablanca. It's hard to talk about love and faith when you sound like an ageing Nazi.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, quail babies!!!!
    I can't wait to see them. I hope they hatch successfully.
    We used to have a neighbor who would leave melons at our back steps. He's moved now. None of the others grow anything much or share.
    I take eggs and vegetables to my closest neighbors. The ones on the left are the only ones who seem to enjoy it, and brought me so jam not too long ago-they don't grow anything, but always love visiting our place and seeing the animals and the garden.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes