The Flower Show Rival and field animal updates

I was at the village Garage yesterday when I spied a yellow flyer on the counter. In bold loud letters, it advertised a scarecrow festival in a neighbouring village on Saturday- THE DAY OF OUR FLOWER SHOW!
Compared to our 1950's style show, this festival day seems to be offering everything to the festival going public!- free runners (!),a moterbike display team, Morris dancers, amusements, wood carving and trade stands!!!( to name but a few attractions)......I wonder just how many people will be more attracted by the "glitz" of it all rather than the staid old fashioned nature of our show.....hummmm we shall see!!!!
I am working nights tonight and tomorrow morning I have to drive to Mold to pick up the noticeboards , so we can exhibit the village school childrens' art work in the Hall on Saturday. We still have not had any of the school winners cups returned as yet, so will have nothing to present on the day......oh the trauma and worries of organising a village show.......
Anyhow,I have had a few queries about Boris' condition. So this morning I snapped a few photos when I was feeding the animals. Boris IS better, that's for sure, but he is NOT his old self. He remains slower and not as bright as he used to be, and seems to get tired more often. During the afternoons , I now catch him sitting down , resting in the grass and I am sure his appetite remains somewhat variable, so the big guy is not out of the woods yet, but he is miles better than he used to be.
This morning I sat with him for 20 minutes and we shared my bagel side by side watching the field birds wake up, it was a nice turkey/man bonding moment with me humming "lord of the dance" and Boris snorting snotty gasps through his snood!.

I noticed that one of my oldest hens (the last one of the four "andrews" sisters) has "gone light".
Going light is an odd syndrome that older hens can go through. Despite being fed correctly, wormed and well treated, these old hens just lose their appetites and slowly fade away to nothing.
She now weighs next to nothing and because she is weak the bullying from the other , more aggressive hens has now started.
I have now set her up into her own little house with food, water and peace. She can see the other hens through a piece of chicken wire but can no longer be bullied by them. I suspect she will eventually die within the next week or so.
The junior cockerels from my spring hatching have had their flight feathers trimmed and have been set up in the Ghost hen's coop. I will be advertising them " free to good home" but suspect that they will have to be eventually culled.

Meanwhile the ghost hens have been set up in their , more robust permanent and more stylish coop, which they have taken to with an emotion bordering on silent glee!
I have a huge amount of affection for these fat girls.Unlike the "normal" hens who constantly bicker and fight, the ghost hens remain slow moving, benign and good natured. I can sit right in the centre of them without them battering an eyelid and all will lumber up and gaze up at me with their interested but sad little piggy eyes....I wonder what,(if anything) they could be thinking

Winnie and Jo have started to "honk" when out and about with their constant companions, the magpie ducks. They seem so comfortable with each other now, that I will be bunking them up together in the big goose house.....Dan's ducklings when they hatch will then have a duckhouse of their own...............the constant juggling act of who lives just where seems never ending does it?

10 comments:

  1. Hi John! Your post is a great way to start my day! I loved reading about how "everyone" is doing!! I will continue to hope that Boris gets better, and the Andrew sister holds her own!!
    (By the way, I would attend "your" festival!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boris, oh-so-handsome. I hope his healing continues. Hope the cockerels find homes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so good to your animals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It'd be the flower show for me, but it's too bad the shows are on the same day.
    Thanks for the update on the fowl. Boris looks magnificent, even if he isn't feeling magnificent just yet. And the geese look all grown up! The Ghost Girls must think they've died and gone to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey John. How old is Boris? He looks ancient! But probably just looks like a turkey is supposed to look.

    Ever think about writing a children's book/series? I am serious. Your blogs 'read' so well and kids would love the adventures you have with your critters. Hell, adults would/do too! Just think....no more 'night' shifts......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boris does look better! His color is much better I think.

    Is he now retired from the ladies given what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very pleasant "soothing" post, John. I'm glad Boris is better, I guess all's right with the world, your corner, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ghost Hens sound just like our Buffs. (Chickens on Weed) LOL

    I love that Boris is recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps Boris had a heart attack or stroke? Poor little bugger. Glad I don't have geese. I had ducks for a few weeks, and they were just too loud and messy for our little plot of land. I do now have a litter of kittens I need to rid myself of. When they are weened, Prissy is getting sewed up! Dustin, a neighbor wants a girl. That leaves 5 to find homes for.
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  10. tell me about it!!! We are FOREVER moving goats, hens, and dogs!
    Boris looks good...I hope he keeps getting better each day.
    I am in a small town too and forever in the battle of creating a community calndar so the few events we do have don't fall on top of each other.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes