Au Revoir Les Enfants

I don't know much about Louis Malle's film career but I did sort of knew that Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987) was one of his "coming of age" movies, but that was about all.
Nigel sent me a copy of the movie for my birthday, so knowing his love of quality, I thought I would enjoy it.
Today the weather has been atrocious. This morning I did all the household jobs, walked the dogs, made a meat pie for tea and fed and watered all of the animals as they hid away in the coops and bushes out of the rain. The only good thing is that the field pond has now almost full (above)
So steaming after getting soaked, I sat down with a towel and a hot cup of tea and indulged myself with 100 minutes of French movie.
Au Revoir Les Enfants is striking as it captures the cold, cruelty and pettiness seen within a boys' school ( and by saying cruelty I mean the little acts of harshness that occurs constantly when little boys are forced to spend time together) but balances this with a very real and recognisable friendship between Julien Quentin and Jean Bonet (Gaspard Manesse and Raphael Fejtö)
Quentin is homesick for his mother and is a smart and angry boy. Bonet is a quiet, lonely academic and one of several hidden Jewish borders. The date is 1944 and the Germans are looking for any Jewish citizens not already interned.
The story is simple enough, and from the very beginning the audience can guess where the plot is heading; that much is clear, however it is the realism of a child's point of view that cuts to the quick in this movie. The boys' roles with all of their their whims and contradictions are beautifully portrayed by the two leads, and the loss of innocence by the tortured Quentin when the Germans finally seek out the truth, is truly heartbreaking.

8.5 out of 10

15 comments:

  1. It sounds so sad... I know how cruel children can be anyway, but for a Jewish boy during WWII, it would be hell. I hate watching cruelty, but this one sounds like a watcher - if it is ever available.

    Doing outside chores in the rain is no fun, I noticed your weather and thought about that. Maybe it will quit in the night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen it for years, but I remember being very moved by it.

    Malle's an interesting director as his output was so diverse. LES AMANTS, ATLANTIC CITY and VANYA ON 42nd STREET are my other favourites of his.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed my little gift. Malle is certainly an intriguing director. I think this was filmed after he moved to America, which perhaps explains the nature of both the narrative and composition.

    A couple of things to add, however:

    "Knowing his love of quality"

    Why, thank you (I think). I'm glad you've recognised this after all these years. I'll certainly reflect on this whilst shopping in Morrisons.

    "8.5 out of 10"

    You know, I simply can't fathom your need to 'award scores' to films, and everything else for that matter...each to their own, I guess...Nx

    ReplyDelete
  4. sigh
    I mark them so people recognise how good or how bad they are!!!!
    chillxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello? ...you gave Broke Back Mountain 8 or 9, and a similar 'score' for the last Star Trek movie...and they were BOTH truly awful :-)

    Nx

    ReplyDelete
  6. only in YOUR opinion!!!! sigh
    release your bitterness.....Nige!!! let it runfree!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh John..this sounds like a movie I'd like to see but would be a 'tear jerker'. I'll have to see if I can find it. I hope your weather clears up soon...ours is hot (100F) for the past few days and I think we have one more to go before it drops to a chilling 98. At least you don't have to water! Have a wonderful Wednesday...Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rain, sighhhh we really need rain!

    Movies, well I have not been to a movie in over 20 yrs., shocking I know. I don't watch much TV. I do enjoy food network. Well some of the shows. A new channel called cooking channel very much like food network has some nice cooking shows as well. Some of the host are from your side of the world. I enjoy several of those shows.

    I can't usually sit still long enough to watch a movie even at home. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  9. tex
    movies have always saved my life...
    the ritual of sitting down and watching amovie tome has always been therapetic

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you enjoyed your day of leisure; it sounds like it was a good day for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you seen Enlightenment Guaranteed?
    It's a German film about 2 brothers visiting a buddist temple in Japan to "find themselves."
    It can be a little slow but I loved it.
    I think I've seen it 7x. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nigel, spot on regarding BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. One of the most overrated films of all time (and not just by John, sadly).

    ReplyDelete
  13. You'll have to try Louis Malle's Pretty Baby, a much beter film, though also much more controversial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to get this to watch - thanks for the tip. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a heartbreaking movie.
    I will take some of your rain. Here we are in the 104 plus range with a heat index in the 110s. Ugh. It's not pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes