A day in the life

I know I can blog about the opening of an envelope, the habit of "chatting" about the little things that occur in our tiny corner of the globe is now so ingrained totally in my daily routine and existence, I hardly realise that the blog has been "done" along side the washing of the dishes and the collection of the eggs.
Chris has the car today, I forgot that I needed to pick up some medication for Jesus ( who has scaly leg mite) so am stuck at home for the day.
Yesterday the day flew by.......In the morning I baked apple pies, tray bakes and jam tarts for the Open day and quickly hid them in the freezer before Chris could get his hands on them

In between the rain showers I exercised the goslings in the garden, much to amusements of a group of walkers. Jo's floppy wing is clearly seen on the above photo, but again he looks happy enough with it. As I watched over them the red faced Welsh farmer called by and blocked the lane with his trailer as he unloaded huge heavy bags of shavings for my hen houses. He always does this for free and in his seventies he still effortlessly hurls these bags around without any hesitation. I filled his tweed hat with eggs as Ralph the gentleman farmer and another farmer in a pickup beebed their horns in a good natured way as they waited for him to move

I already have 5 people provisionally enrolled onto my next Chicken course. The lady I helped out the other day offered me some hens in lieu of course payment and I collected five healthy young hens last night. The hens are lovely, two cochins with their scruffy feathered feet ; a speckled Plymouth Rock, a gentle Welsummer and what looks like a Rhode Island Red. I sneaked them into the large buff hen house at dusk and will keep them shut in there for the next 24 hours until they imprint on the house itself. (above the Plymouth rock)
Our animal population now numbers around 83.
The wet weather has given the flowers on the allotment and wild flower border a bit of a kick start. The sweet peas, and red poppies look great..I hope they keep going for the open day

Today I will harvest the climbing french beans ( below), which I will blanch and freeze and will do the same with broccoli which has burst into flower overnight.

I talked to a farmer yesterday about the fate of the Ghost hens. He warned me that the broilers may not survive their new "gentle" lifestyle in the field. He said that he had the experience of trying to free range a few before he culled them and he said that all but two died suddenly. The vet informed him that because these birds are intensively reared (literally a few weeks from hatching to being eaten) their organs cannot cope with a slower pace of food and water. So by offering these little birds a "better" way of living, I could almost be viewed as being cruel! Its a weird world eh?

Above the five remaining Ghost hens watching the turkeys walking past their enclosure.

18 comments:

  1. There is something called "angel wind" which occurs in waterfoul. The wing sticks out at an angle. I don't think anyone know what causes it but the birds seem to be fine otherwise. I am sure Jo will have a better life than most geese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goofed....It is "angel wing" not "angel wind". And waterfowl rather than waterfoul. So much for my previewing before sending. It is 6 am here, not really awake yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you peter,
    it may be that but I suspect it was damage done when he hatched ( his wing had been fused to his head when he dried out too much in the cracking shell!
    it is only the lower "lobe" of wing feathers that has been affected
    thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, I know Jo will grow into a very handsome (beautiful?) goose, and I hope the others don't make fun of him! :-))) I can't believe how much you get done!! At the end of all of that hard work I hope you got to enjoy at least something you'd baked! By the way what are tray bakes? I've not heard of them, but if they are home-made, I'm sure they are delicious! I hope you're having an enjoyable day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. tray bakes are a quick way of making cake for a fete or "do"

    just a big square of sponge with a topping¬!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I love your sweet peas, absolutely love those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden looks amazing - I am missing my sweetpeas this year. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The garden looks so good and the flowers look like they are trying to out-do each other. Sorry for the battery hens.... but cruelty isn't in your vocabulary. Tray cake - sheet cake... my God are you busy... you cooking something else up there? Just kidding!
    I am up, ate breakfast and did my meds, and already exhausted! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the image of the farmer taking home eggs in his hat!

    Even if your ghost chickens don't survive the freedom, better they have shorter, happier lives than longer, harder ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden is beautiful! It looks like a Picture in a magazine!
    All that baking,I bet the house smelled wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As anyone ever told you that you're the perfect wife, matron, vet, gardener head chef & bottle washer? I am so jealous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been told that difficulty hatching or the eggs not being turned often enough may cause wing and leg damage...Jo is the prettiest baby, none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh bathe me in wonderful comments...I deserve them!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy I wouldn't mind sneeking into that freezer of yours!

    Jo looks good, wing and all.

    Thats a interesting thought on your ghost hens. I hope they make it. Maybe they can adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I stay fairly busy, but I have to wonder when you even find the time to rest!
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  16. 83? 83? Holy cow!

    The flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, I feel so bad for the Ghost Hens. sigh.
    Your garden does look beautiful with all the colors.
    And what can I say about Jo! Adorable. Cute. Fuzzy.
    The gentleman is in his 70's and still going strong! Love it!
    And you would have to mention food! Yum!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have me chuckeling at your "oh bathe me in wonderful comments"...too funny John. The poppies are fab, and I could almost smell those sweet peas. Lovely. Hope the openhouse goes well and no rain. x-c

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes