Pre dawn shenanigans

It was just going light when we all were woken by something screaming its head off in the kitchen. The dogs as though electrocuted, tumbled down the stairs barking and growling and by the time I got there all three had trapped a rather irate Albert on top of the cooker. He had a small baby rabbit in his mouth and the poor thing was screaming like a little girl.
When I yelled at him (above the din of howling and barking) he dropped the rabbit, who promptly leaped off the cooker onto the floor.
The dogs went wild!
I booted George away first (he is the best ratter), slapped Meg out of the way and lunged for the baby as it tried to dive under the fridge. by some miracle I caught it!,(the dogs were beside themselves at this stage) and still in a rather unflattering pair of boxer shorts I took the little thing outside and placed it inside a wicker picnic hamper in the shed (with Lilly and her THREE chicks)
I know nothing about baby rabbits so checked the trusty old google to see what to do, below was something useful


"The baby rabbits leave the nest at approximately 3-4 weeks of age. If the rabbit is as big as a tennis ball (or fully fills your hand), then it is able to survive in the wild. If it fits within your hand or is obviously tiny and small or injured, then it needs to be re-nested or given to a wildlife rehabilitator as soon as possible. At 3-4 weeks of age, their instincts to survive in the wild are fully intact. They know how to camouflage themselves, what natural foods to eat, and what a predator is and how to behave around it. They automatically know to run away from a predator in a “broken path” pattern to make it difficult for a predator to catch them"

Armed with this knowledge I picked up the baby, ( still in boxers and t shirt) and walked over to the field where I let it go in my parsnip bed (there is a baby rabbit hole next to it) off he/she went down his burrow and the hysteria of the night was over
Our poor neighbours

15 comments:

  1. Blimey.

    Well done on your rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that no bunny was harmed in the making of this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John,
    When are you going to begin writing your book! I tell you, your 'adventures' in day-to-day life are numerous and your re-telling of the episodes are humourous!
    I feel I live such a boring existence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness! Never a dull moment around there! I agree with Jabacue,you should write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. no you two, it is me that lives a boring life....i JUST LIKE BORING!
    THANKS ANYWAY
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one lucky little rabbit. He sure had a tale to tell when he got back home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you caught it on the first try! We chased one that Yoda brought in for a couple of hours! Good that you found his (?) home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. eh. The neighbors will get over it.
    So glad you rescued the baby!
    You are better than me to release him back into the wild. I would have kept him and added him to the pack, I am bad like that.
    That may be why I end up with so many critters...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs to you for rescuing the little one. I know all to well the commotion of jumping in and trying to save a critter. Reading your post I could hear the dogs and you while all of it was going on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. John...there's never a dull moment for long at your house is there LOL! I'm glad the bunny was ok and was able to find it's home. The poor neighbours though...they may never recover from the sight! ;)
    Have a wonderful day...Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwww John, so sweet. Well done for saving the lickle bunny from a certain death! Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with Jabacue too... first a book and then tv. Your life would make a great sitcom along the lines of All Creatures Great and Small. I think it would be a big success. And I agree boring is good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All together now
    'bright eyes.......'

    I once resuced a baby rabbit. Its mum and siblings had been got and it was wondering about in the lane looking tiny and lost so I brought it home put it in a box and feed it goats milk and crumb, Within 3 days it had trebled in size and began terrorizing my old collie. I released him soon after.

    Have you ever seen 'Night of the lepus' amazingly dodgy 70s B-movie/horror about giant killer rabbits. Fantastic.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh John, you are a good guy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you forgot to mention all the white hairs that have sprouted up on your head!!

    And who said nothing happens in the countryside!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes