Spring Photos

The Chicks in the shed are nearly a week old now and all seem robust and healthy little buggers. The smallest (above) is a part bantam mongrel and is an absolute sweetie!
With the pigs gone there is plenty of jobs to be getting on with. I cleaned their hut out, and cleared much of their enclosure of dirty straw and droppings before re seeding the ground.
The Bourbon red turkeys will be housed into the hut as soon as the chicks are old enough to go outside. The chicks will be housed in the present turkey house. All I have to do now is sort out a potential goose house! (if you remember, there are four giant goose eggs in the incubator!)

As I weeded the been and pea beds this afternoon, the sun has been blazing and the turkeys have been clumsily mating amid clouds of feathers and uncomfortable screaming. I have erected the runner, french bean and pea supports and was kept company by the dogs and the obligatory Albert who always refused to be left out of anything

The creeping buttercups have covered the Churchyard in a blanket of yellow, and the backdrop of colour and nature is, I am sure, some sort of comfort for the increased numbers of visitors to the graveyard.
There seems to have been a lot of burials recently, and the newly bereaved to and fro along the neat paths and green borders all day long....As I work, I wave to some that I recognise, and thank goodness for the nice weather, a country graveyard in the sun, must bring a great deal of peace and comfort to troubled minds.....I moved the turkeys down to the bottom of the field....so that their sexual antics didn't bother any of the visitors too much.

As I came in to wash up before collecting the Berlingo, I spied Auntie Gladys who was sat quietly in the sun on the far side of the Churchyard ("Auntie is her generic Village name!)!. She waved vaguely as I waved to her (at ninety I don't think she actually recognised me at that distance! and as she got up to slowly amble her way home I had a huge rush of affection for this old lady who always reminds me of a white haired and smiling Woody Allen, She is one of the nicest and most respected villagers I have met since our time here.
She has been a member of the Flower Show Committee ( and the village welfare committee before that) for 57 years!
I have only been Chairman for two!!!

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely, peaceful post. Sounds like a perfect day to me. Albert is adorable, and the picture of the church is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been very busy! Cute chick - a favorite?
    Doing a bit of musical birds? Um... geese, that sounds like a bit of fun!
    Albert is your supervisor, or thinks so? He's a dear!
    Lovely picture of the church, you are indeed having a lovely Spring!
    ~Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely & makes me feel all warm inside. I could picture it all !
    We have a dear old Lady in our village - Freeda who must be in her 90s - she is the olderst Brownie around - still organises the rota for use of the Guide hut & organises the selling of poppies in local shops.
    I think she looks like Miss Marple out on her busines collecting clues !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post. Makes me wish I lived in a village with an Auntie Gladys.

    Had to laugh about the turkeys and the bereaved. We have two rescued pigeons. They are young and madly in love. Fast forward to a day last fall when my husband ushed all the cub scouts (age 9) out onto our deck for their meeting, seeing that it was a nice day and all. Well, that is not all they saw! A couple of exhibitionists, those two were! My husband tried to completely ignore the scene going on behind him, hoping the kids wouldn't realize the reality. When one boy asked, "What are they doing?" Another promptly answered, "Making babies, dummy!" And yet another, "You mean, they're married?!" LOL!

    Wishing you a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, thank you for your recent visits to our blog. Our dog is an airedale which is very similar to a welsh in coloring just big. she is 100 pounds. Also we do feed our table birds a bit differently. The feed store sells a special "meat bird" feed which is suppose to help get them up to table weight in a timely manor. Hope that helps.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes