Pastures new

The pigs on their arrival last year

The pigs left the field today.
They have been adopted by an animal park over in Cambridgeshire (http://www.hamertonzoopark.com/), as breeding mates for a rare breed boar, who has been alone for quite some time.
The park looks lovely and finally I am sort of glad that they have a large new home and a chance to experience piglets.
Just over a week ago, I was suddenly made aware that the Glebe field's lease prohibits the presence of pigs, and the very future of the allotment had been put into jeopardy by this fact as well as a series of oversights (on my part)
I won't go into too many details, there is no real need to do so now as, after much wringing of hands, anxiety and angst (it was awful!), most things have now been sorted out to a satisfactory level, however I thought it appropriate for the girls to be re-homed, so that my existence here is above board and legal and more importantly safe.
And so, Gladys and Nora have gone. They came to me over a year ago after a chance meeting with their owner at the animal feed shop. She needed a home for them immediately as she was unexpectedly moving to the US....and I was a sucker for a sob story.
The girls became minor celebrities here in the field. Over the past year, they have been visited by a whole string of villagers clutching loaves of bread and bags of veg clippings.and subsequently they turned from small,.slight sows who lived in a small concrete sty, into fat old girls who have charmed half the village and who have lived a comfortable life in a field with a lovely view.
I shall miss them.

14 comments:

  1. I know it's for the best, but I know you will miss the girls. Is it close enough for you to visit and see their forthcoming piglets? Big Hug...
    ~Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad news, my friend. But glad they've found a good new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's kind of bittersweet that the girls had to go. On one hand you're glad they found a large good home, but on the other hand, you will miss them. But you've done what you had to keep the others safe...

    I did think of you yesterday afternoon when I was at the vets office and in the kennel in back they had a baby goat--It was the cutest thing I'd seen in a long time!!!

    How are your baby chicks? How many have you ended up with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that they are leaving you but you have done them proud with what sounds like a great new chapter in their lives...

    ReplyDelete
  5. am ok about it really thanks guys....
    they wont be the last pigs I own and i feel a goat coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some lucky pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you sweet, sweet man, wish i was there to cheer you up . . . hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry mate, about the girls. Sounds like they're going to a good home, though. I have a story to share (hopefully today) about Becky the parrot, that Mike gave away and we now have back. Hope all sorted out in a good way for you.
    ~Randy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh John, letting them go must have pulled at your heart. Even knowing they are going to a good home it must be strange not having them there. Can you visit them? Such lovely girls. Hugs.

    A goat huh? What breed?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry that you had to rehome the girls, but, thank you for taking the time to do it right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww, sorry to see the girls go, but happy you found them a good home John.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We'll miss the girls too John. It sounds like they'll have a good life at their new home though. Will you visit them once in a while??

    ReplyDelete
  13. The pigs are very nice! To bad you had to rehome them, but nice you could since you couldn't keep them. They will be happy I am sure with a new fellow at their new home ;O)...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you managed to find them a happy new home, but it must have been very hard to part with them. I would love a pair of pet pigs!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes