Cabbages & houseperson blues

There was a funeral this afternoon at the Church, so I stationed myself in the field to prevent any bothersome turkey and runner duck activity as the mourners gathered around the graveside

I know just what to do now to minimise mourner irritation! The junior turkeys are locked away in their shed, and all of the poultry are fed spaghetti an half hour before the funeral starts; thus happily stuffed with carbohydrates the birds all retire to sleep in the field margins and minimal distraction is caused!
As the funeral took place, I planted row upon row of cabbages which all have been covered with netting. Then several rows of broad beans and peas followed as the sun shone down. The allotment is now completely back into shape if not just a little behind last year's growing schedule.
Now as blog readers be aware, I never complain about my allotment, and I am perfectly comfortable with my adopted role as "househusband"..but do you know, after today I feel just a little unappreciated with coping with the more banal aspects of home life.......now I expect just a little solidarity here by those, like me, who have to cope with the mundane and boring !
Today I had to wait a wasted hour or so for the car to have its MOT (which it bloody well failed), fanny-arsed around for an absolute age with my hand down the patio drain in an effort to clear a blocked pipe, scrubbed the lounge carpet with biological washing powder to remove George's uncharacteristic piss stain before mowing the front lawn ( a neighbour commented that it was looking scruffy), washing the cottage windows, and bleaching the kitchen floor free of grubby paw prints for the second time today before bagging up 7 bin bags of rubbish for collection tomorrow and dettol scrubbing the patio!
Chris (on his way to cosmopolitan excitement in London) was less than happy with the fact that the Berlingo failed, and my ill conceived presumption that he was "being all urbane and sophisticated" coupled with the fact I could actually smell just how bad my sweat shirt smelt after a good half hour's pee scrubbing...has made me feel a little undervalued....
I would really mind if I drank gin all day and watched Jeremy Kyle
Oh I wish I could always walk around the house baking pies and wiping my fat arms on my apron with a smile.............

or am I just being a little queeny again?

13 comments:

  1. Oh, my, you sound just like me! Or used to when I was healthy. It does get old, John, where's the appreciation? Where's "the house looks nice?" We all (house wives and house husbands alike) feel out of the loop sometimes.

    Here's a pat on the shoulder for job well done, if that helps.

    ~Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the pat!
    I think a huge gin and tonic, a bunch of flowers and a head massage would help more!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW! You are a good worker! My lady says you can visit here and do our chores! weeee! hee hee She says that she'd rather be stinky and do the house chores than go into a city to work. You are an unsung hero!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROFL

    Are you on AUNT FLO's time?

    Same here, Majorette Mundane

    So queen away my favorite kickstand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, I forgot this:

    passes a pint of GIN with a tin of grapefruit juice.

    Do you have ice? ~;>

    I LOVE GIN IT WILL MAKE YOU SIN

    ReplyDelete
  6. John there are times when I could quite happily throttle my husband for his comments about why hasn't this been done or (my favourite) "what have you done all day". I just look at him with my best gorgon stare and he shuts up.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mentioned that you were bored weeks ago! Perhaps a little crocheting, or tatting is in order. Or Famous Grouse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. jim..
    I havent been bored for years!!!.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did the same the other day, spent three hours cleaning house and within a couple of days, between the kids and dogs, you couldn't tell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh sweetie, I'm sure you're appreciated. Chris knows all that gets done isn't by magic!YOU are one of the busiest people I know. You scrub. You plant. You tend to the critters. You keep house. AND you do your nursing duties to boot!! Some people just aren't verbal about being grateful for such things. Here, I'll give you an atta boy: Atta boy John. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd pay good money to see Mr Burton being urbane and sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can relate to this, John. It's not all glamor, is it.

    Remember that tune in Cinderella? "Cinderelli, Cinderelli . . . night and day, it's Cinderelli."

    Is it wrong that it plays in my head with some regularity? Usually when I'm scrubbing the kitchen floor and trying to get stains out of clothing.

    There are days . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you read my column this week in the Eden Valley Messenger, you should as it's something along the same lines:

    http://www.edenvalleymessenger.com/lifestyle/2010/april/british-woman-always-busy-never-bored

    I feel your pain!!

    I thought it was interesting that you feed your hens spaghetti by the way to make them sleepy!!

    Gill

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes