It's Complicated

.............well actually Nancy Meyers new comedy isn't complicated in any shape or form despite having a fairly "unconventional" storyline.
Jane (Meryl Streep) has been amicably divorced from her husband Jake (Alec Baldwin) for ten years. During their son's graduation, the pair start a secret affair, despite Jake having a new wife and Jane starting a tentative relationship with shy architect Adam (a weirdly airbrushed Steve Martin).
Hummm......,do hilarious situations abound?...well no they don't........not at all, but on the whole this film does have a few interesting things to say on the closure of long term relationships and dating in middle age, and it is mildly amusing thanks primarily to Streep and Baldwin's polished and rather winning performances.(But that is about it~)
Streep acts her socks off with the very smallest of gestures, and I always find her a mesmerising actor to watch. She is also quite beautiful and physically untouched by Hollywood standards which makes her all the more attractive and appealing to an audience. You can almost feel the waves of admiration people have for Streep, as you are sat there and that is impressive!
Meryl made me give this film an averagely good 7/10
ps. Hazel has her fourth date wth new beau Alan tomorrow......as her GAYBEST FRIEND..I get the first look at him ! I will be on best behaviour

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the movie but just assume it's junk, even the good ones sign up to do movies (and advertisements) just cashing in for the $$$.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Streep in Julie & Jullia. First saw her on TV in the late 70's in one of the earlier U.S. mini-series called Holocaust. She is something of an icon to many movie goers I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's an interesting premise but I don't think I can face another Meyers's movie after SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE ...

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes