Guinea pigs


The guinea fowl are now free in the field, and have quickly developed from hysterical, pain-in-the arse missiles to complex little characters with a charm and humour all of their own.
When they are let free of their ramshackle rabbit hutch in the morning, with a joyous excitement they burst forth to fly the length and breadth of the field, then quite suddenly realise that they have all been separated, and in noisy panic gallop in from all four corners to meet up again.
They also seem to have incredible appetites, and have deftly stolen feed from the turkeys, ducks and the slower hens. Only the more robust hybrid hens, have kept the six gluttons at bay.
Being free, has strangely calmed them down somewhat, and I have managed to get quite close to them in order to feed and water them all.......amazing what food does for a nervous disposition.
I am getting quite fond of this little group of despots

7 comments:

  1. That is one bird I have never worked with, my husband has not actively encouraged this, he figures we will end up with the birds roosting way up in the trees, rather than in a roost. But I might get some... Some day...

    Cat (the dreamer)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your husband is right,,,they do roost away from their quarters (mine are just a little too young to venture far at the moment)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John, up the coast a bit, thanks for stopping by my blog. I too like guinea fowl, unfortnately just dont have the space here for more than ahandful of chickens.
    I enjoy Prestatyn flower show too, up untill a couple of years ago I use to do the childrens facepainting at the show. I really enjoyed the couple of days, especially the jazz band!

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, you have some pied guinea's. I just have the pearl's but want to order some pied.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE guineas! My grandfather had them too...The very first time we looked at our house, we had about 6-8 of them in our yard--They belonged to the farmer across the road. This farmer and another friend each spring have offered me some, and each year I have to say "no..." :-((( I would love to have them because they eat the ticks that we have a lot of, but we can't because of the dogs--But someday, someday....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good that the guinea fowl have calmed down a bit. We used to have chickens that would roost in the redwood trees, so I suppose the guineas will take to the trees if given a chance.

    I love the church bells. Great video!

    Here is a link to wiki about dutch ovens:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven
    I love cooking with my iron skillet, iron chicken fryer and dutch ovens on my wood stove. I think food tastes better and even looks better cooked in iron. I might even get some iron for my tired blood.

    http://chickensontheporch.blogspot.com/2009/04/wood-stove-stew.html
    I'm using my chicken fryer to make stew. My dutch oven looks like this without the handle, with a glass lid and with a bale (wire handle.) Like the black dutch oven in the middle wiki photo.

    Do you have something like a dutch oven on your side of the pond?

    ReplyDelete
  7. better you than me, glad i can experience them vicariously, my rooster's song in the morning is already to loud and too long, funny how freedom helped them relax, i see that in most critters, great post - peace

    ps saw your post about Survivors tv show, watching this show as a girl triggered my obsession with food security, what a life it is!? can't find it here yet http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/survivors.htm

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes