"Ordinary is good"

I had to tell myself off a little today, after leaving a snobby comment on a friend's film blog. He had written a review of the Macaulay Culkin star vehicle The Good Son (1993), and kind of celebrated some aspects of this mainly unseen thriller. I stated rather haughtily that I wouldn't waste my time watching it, and on a moment's reflection I realised that there are some things that are thought to be "ordinary" and "middle of the road" that turn out to be quite brilliant if you give them a chance.


Last night I watched the wonderful One Fine Day (1996), and although rom coms are historically mostly viewed as popcorn fodder, I always thought that this sparkling 1940 esque comedy is a true movie classic in the Spencer Tracey/Katherine Hepburn vein.

For 90 minutes I smiled at George Clooney wringing every doe-eyed moment from his Charming New York reporter divorcee, who slowly falls for the considerable charms of the slightly neurotic business woman Michelle Pfieffer, and only in retrospect did I realise that it takes a truly brilliant film to illicit such a response.

In a similar way, I must now sing the praises of another "ordinary" artist. For Christmas my sister bought me the Susan Boyle CD, and today was the first chance I had to give it a good listening to. Now most of the tracks (madonna cover, religious hymns and elevator songs) left me a bit cold, but I was drawn a cover version of The Rolling Stones' Wild Horses and the haunting "Proud" (see previous blog).....Both were lovely but "proud" was a standout for me.

I should, I know, not be in such a hurry to condemn things I have not experienced. Pure "art house" film fans may have overlooked the joys of George Clooney's dimples..and indi music fiends may not have given the Sue Bou album a spin and therefore could well have missed out on a great deal of pleasure....keep an open mind John eh? hey ho!

Perhaps I will even give The Good Son a whirl

8 comments:

  1. I don't claim to be a film critic by any means. I thought The Good Son was a pretty decent film. Not one of those you rent and keep for six weeks because you watch it 87 times, but fairly worth at least one view. Some different from Caulkin than bratty Kevin in the Home Alone treacheries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learnt my lession.....I will give it a whirl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, John, I’m truly touched by this. (Though I sincerely doubt that you’ll find THE GOOD SON brilliant!) But it’s certainly true that we all rush to snap judgement about things (art and other people being just two of them). I guess it’s inevitable in a culture as saturated with STUFF as this one. But I really think it feels like progress when we open up our minds and hearts and make an effort not to dismiss or condemn things too quickly.

    It’s so interesting that you should choose to post the SuBo song; I have to admit that she’s the kind of artist I go out of my way to avoid (I hate the whole X Factor/Britain’s Got Talent/Simon Cowell thing and what it’s done to the music scene). But listening to “Proud” I was moved by a fine version of a touching song. So thanks for opening me up to this! Oh, and I love ONE FINE DAY, too.

    Take care, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One should never overlook Michelle Pfeiffer - particularly if she's wearing corsets and a bog hat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That should, of course, be a BIG hat...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patrick got me the Susan Boyle CD for Christmas too. I listened to my Christmas music (I have a TON of it!) so much it was nice to put on my Josh Grobin CD's and Susan Boyle in between them. I enjoyed her CD, but then, I'm pretty ordinary too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. bel...I presume you are referring to Cheri???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheri, The Age of Innocence, Dangerous Liaisons...there are so many to choose from and all glorious.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes