How I survived 1970 Sundays


I have blogged several times about how I like Sundays.
The quiet pace of the day, the Church Bell, The Archers omnibus......the day has evolved into a bit of a pleasure.
Mind you, it was never always so!
As a child I hated Sundays (and specifically Sunday afternoons!)......and only recently (as a result of a bit of family reflection) I have come to the conclusion just why it was so!.
My twin sister and I grew up in a time when the extended family played a large part in our day to day lives. Weekdays had a pace and and a routine governed of course by school, but weekends possessed their own, bipolar life of their own and provided times of great warmth coupled with the double edged experience of a slightly depressive dysfunctional set of parents

Friday afternoons were joyous. My Grand parents held open house, and their tiny one bedroom bungalow was filled with grandchildren and great grand children all talking at once. Everything was loud , chatty and animated. Copious amounts of tea was drunk, large wedges of jam sponge and nice biscuits eaten and even my Mother and her shopping friend Auntie Greta would turn up for a cuppa after their Friday afternoon "shampoo and set" at Jean's Hair Salon.
Janet and I would always stay for tea, which would always be laid out on a blue and white checked tablecloth in front of the tv in the lounge.
Being pensioners, "tea" was basic and never changing..but to us as children the food was a real treat! Cheap white bread, lightly buttered was smothered in baked beans (and eaten with 1940s bone handled cutlery) was for mains and tinned fruit cocktail with evaporated milk was served up in small floral dishes for "pud"

Saturdays were always spent at my sister's house by the beach. We played in the sandy garden with a risk filled nephew in tow for hours. Swinging incessantly on an old metal garden swing (the size of an average sofa) our aimless day was punctuated by chatty lunches, craft projects (usually involving glue and copious amounts of glitter), races around the house in a whole set of prams and trolleys and of course World of Sport tv wrestling (at 4pm).
The sun always shone and Nasturtiums always filled the garden,
Sundays on the other hand were "home days". My parents would have their "lie in" then my mother would prepare a full roast dinner for most of the morning which would have to be ready for 2pm for when my father would return all warmed from his lunchtime visit to the Conservative club.

Afternoons would be quiet and boring. Dad would be asleep in his chair, mother would knit on the couch. The tv was always on, and we would be left to ourselves until a semi formal tea would be set up in the cold dining room with the hateful Mike Samms singers on radio 2 belting out ".............Sing something simple........"

My parents didn't do anything drastically wrong with us kids...they just didn't do ANYTHING with us which was, I think, fairly typical for many 1970 families...... Sundays always became synonymous with an feeling of indifference and a slightly depressive routine which felt so cold and sad after the warmth and vitality of our Fridays and Saturdays.

I have said this before on the blog........funny what you remember isn't it?

10 comments:

  1. Is 'lie in' some sort of euphemism?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad for you that you had such happy Fridays and Saturdays. Too bad that your parents didn't know how to communicate with you. I hope you have happy days now. How is Albert? I saw some amazing videos on YouTube of animals missing two or three legs. Doesn't seem to slow them down at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC7F0dx31b0

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, seems like the older I get the more childhood memories keep coming back to me. I was an only child, would have loved to had a sibling to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again I find your observations of family life amazingly similar to my own. The week would be filled by school routine but Friday meant I was on the bus to my Grans where I would often stay until Sunday. Saturday morning I would be up early and down to the newsagents for my copies of 'Cheeky Comics Weekly' & '2000AD' and then back to Grans for thick sliced buttered toast and tea that always tasted that much better than at home. Saturday afternoon we would go into town and visit the Castle Market where old editions of Spider-Man comics were obtained from the second hand book stall along with chocolate rainbow drops from the sweet stall next door, which were devoured on the way home along with Spidey's latest adventure. Back to Grans and then out on the fields at the back of her house with brother and cousin until dusk. Wonderful days. Sundays at home meant a roast dinner started by Dad before he went to watch local football and finished by Mum when she got up. Time spent on my own or doing chores (cutting the grass was such a favourite!) but not much else. As you have said Mum & Dad did nothing wrong we just never did much as a family. Funny how you remember things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a way with words. How is it you can take unseen the feelings, we all have but can never speak of, and make them tangible with words? This is the essence of your gift and why I watch for your words from across the water, pen on!!! Peace for all

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be me - I very seldom think of being a child. It all seems a very long time ago and I certainly don't find any comfort in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike twins seperated at Birth!

    Cllie and Joanna......thanks for your coments

    Jonney.......awwwwwww

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth........sometimes it is just nice to remember things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sad. I was born in the mid-seventies, but I recall a jouyous childhood. Extended family was always around, and activities was quite often planned around all the children. I so hated having to grow up. My 2nd cousin (who is near 50 and had a rough childhood) cried at his 13th birthday. He said he did not want to be an adult because they have too many responsibilites and problems. I am inclined to agree. i like my life, but childhood was so much sweeter.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes