Gloria is now a WOMAN!

I spent too long on errands in Colwyn Bay this morning. I drove there to sort out some paperwork for the nurse bank, and the whole process dragged on a little too long for my liking. I took the Scotties with me so after the signitures were finished with, we all had a long walk along the promenade to Rhos-on-sea. (above)
The weather is still incredibly cold, so I bought a cup of coffee from one of the beach huts. There is nothing more depressing than a seaside town in the middle of winter, I always think

I got home around 1pm only to find Boris excitable and very vocal. Gloria was nowhere to be seen, and Boris has obviously panicked when he realised he was alone with the hysterical runners. After a quick scout around, I found her crammed into the small duck house, where she had fashioned for herself a large deep nest!. As she tiptoed out (looking a little guilty) she left behind a large white single egg! Bless!....I was so excited, I collected up the little gem and put it into the incubator in the kitchen with Connie's 7 eggs ( the only white runner duck). I do hope the egg is as fertile as Connie's.....I candled them all yesterday and all are showing tiny spider like embryos suspended in the thickening albumin

5 comments:

  1. John: Why runner ducks, a lot of people are raising them around here as well, is there something special about them or is it just the funny way they walk? To me they look almost like a duck slept with a penguin. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. steve,
    runners are very sweet, and dont "need" a pond as most ducks do, as long as they have fresh water and remain in a flock they are happy.
    I must admit, the ducks are lovely but I want only a breeding flock of say 8...last year ( see the blogs) WE had 14 ducklings in the kitchen.....nightmare....
    Also ducks are thick as mince....chickens are so much more brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always liked ducks and would like to have some on the farm, but I was told they would constantly soil the goats drinking buckets. So I am hoping to add a few chickens to the farm instead. I still think ducks are cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! Did she get depressed that you pilfered her egg? Is there a reason you wouldn't let her hatch it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. cassie,
    Turkeys are like young ducks they are very poor mothers and poor "egg sitters"....
    Broody hens are much better mothers, but I have non at the moment to take over mother duties
    x

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes