"A homosexual with power...that's scary!"

So says Sean Penn in the title role of gay rights politician Harvey Milk.. and it is so easy to forget that in the non too distant past...gay men and women literally had no rights at all. That alone is a sobering and frightening thought in our supposedly enlightened post millennium times.
Anyhow I am not usually a fan of the Hollywood biographical film, I find them full of speeches and short on personality and character details, so it is with a tiny bit of regret, I say that Milk very slightly disappointed me. I must stress that it only slightly disappointed me, as worthy and as interesting as it is, we the audience never really get a full sense of what Harvey Milk was all about , we don't quite glimpse the real man, which is a shame.
Mind you Sean Penn gives a wonderfully bravura performance as Milk, and is quite captivating and charismatic in every scene of the film, he clearly deserved his oscar The San Fransisco setting looked lovely and I cannot believe we are off to the city in 4 weeks!!! .All in all I gave the film 8/10.
It was nice catching up with Hazel, as I have not seen her in a while. Before the film we shared a bottle of wine had a gossip and got free tickets to the movie as the Manager of the scala remembered that I was the one that helped him with the sick lady on Saturday night!
We were the only ones in the entire cinema!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you got a private screening & on the house at that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had seen this movie advertised but did not know what it was about. Now it sounds like a more interesting movie. I want to see it.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes