Farmers & bantams

There is one thing that is quite impressive about farmers and that is their natural ability to complete a job, quickly and on time. This afternoon all we had at the bottom of the field was 20 fence posts...now, a couple of hours later we have a fully tensioned pig fence, a functioning gate and the old duck house set up on sleepers 150 yards from where it was situated this morning.Steve (far right) and the ever cheerful Gary got stuck right in with the work, as did the fat faced farmer (left) who very kindly gave me all the wire fencing for nothing as well as giving up his afternoon to teach us all how to use the fence tightener. Gentleman farmer Ralph (centre) called in again to check on the quality of the fencing and brought me some metal hinges to hang the gate. He also exhibited neighbourly kindness by offering me a water feeder for the pigs for nothing.
It was a great joint effort and was rather fun in the end, which surprised me as I don't find all male company an easy thing to deal with.

The pigs will be delivered sometime next week, complete with DEFRA documentation.
I have decided to change their names...........I couldn't quite cope with Betsy and Daisy


The baby bantams and buff chicks have finally been dragged kicking and screaming from the garden shed, which now resembles the shambles of a teenage party (the sort you used to have when you were 17 when your parents were on holiday).....They were shy and quiet at first but soon settled down in the little ark. I have put them and their run inside Rogo's run.
As the toughest cockerel, I am sure he will protect the little ones much better than the diffident Stanley.
I am sore, tired and aching, but it has been a good productive day.

4 comments:

  1. Hint....tent peg all the bottom run wire into the ground, they will work on it until they just push it up, I know from experience!
    Pigs can be great escape artists.

    how exciting, I adore pigs, they are like dogs, very affectionate.

    I must scan a pic of my (no longer have) pig, Tiptoes.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do wish you would find out the name of the 'fat faced farmer', he is mentioned so many times I feel a name to the 'fat' face is long over due.

    Jayne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. mr Ellis......

    doesn't have the same ring to it

    ReplyDelete
  4. The community involvement in your fencing project has amazed me. You must be very well liked.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes