Bunny attack

Albert's painkillers seem to be working well, and obviously they are sedating him nicely. I have fed him titbits throughout the day, which he has wolfed down, but generally he has spent his time in the cage sleeping. I have spent most of the day clearing the vegetable beds ready for the spring planting with the help of Broody Nolan (below) who has eating her weight in earthworms every time I turn over a large sod!

While I was working, a couple of large crows decided to attack the diminutive Bunny (top photo centre) It is the first time that I have seen this aggression aimed directly towards her, although when the buffs were small, they were attacked in a similar way. Unable to run Bunny hunched over and cried out loudly as the two crows pecked at her again and again. Before I could gallop over (with visions of another vet visit!!) two of the other hens, Nonnie and Belle bounced over and launched themselves at the crows clucking , shrieking and slashing at them with their claws ....this of course galvanised Rogo the cockerel into action and he chased off the attackers. I have often seen the cockerels in attack mode but not usually the hens. The whole event was incredibly interesting to watch.
Bunny survived her attack with a few pulled feathers, being the runt guess does have its drawbacks.

Belle and Nonnie have become two of my favourite hens, they are two of the survivors from the dog attack last year (Bunny and Rogo survived also) and strangely for hens they have become inseparable. Daily both girls slip through a hole in the electric fencing, and spend hours foraging around the graveyard in a tight knit little group of two. Many of the visitors to the Church have commented how sweet they look

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts ... your blog has become one of my favorites! I am living my barnyard life vicariously through your words!! (I asked hubby if we could get some chickens ... he laughed.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Attack chickens. You are educating me in barnyard behaviour.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes