The Reader

Theatre Clwyd's cinema was overbooked yet again! So desperate to see something interesting, I went to Llandudno to see The Reader (2008).
The film has so many onion skin layers! by the end of it I was turned slightly inside out! It touches on humanising part of the Nazi regime which does leave a slightly bad taste in the mouth and has something to say about the pain of romantic trauma.
The Reader can also be seen as a study of how damaged people survive in life, an essay on personal and collective guilt or indeed could be viewed as a statement of how powerful the written word actually is. Yeap it all sounds a bit of a complicated mix doesn't it?
Kate Winslet, carries the film with a fierce brittleness and intensity in her performance, I also quite liked David Kross tender portrayal as her teenage lover, but as I was driving home all I was thinking of how good the actors were, rather then the actual messages lurking within the narrative. 7 /10

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I hope that you don't think I'm a frigging weirdo stalker.

    Anyway, this movie really challenged me. I still think about it. Sometimes I think I have it all together and then a movie like this comes about and it slaps me upside the head.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes