Gentleman's Agreement and antisocial behaviour


What is happening to 15 year olds nowadays? I know it is a "norming/storming" age of rebellion and experimentation, when we used to drink a small party four in the gardens at the top of town before getting home before curfew at 10pm. But that blurred nostalgic view of growing up in the 1970's seems an age and light years away from the experiences of the "children" of today. There seems something almost feral about some young people we are seeing on our streets, there is a hardness of attitude and a coldness of feeling in many and I think that the destruction of old fashioned family units (god I sound old and naive) have a lot to do with it.
Last night I was watching Gentleman's Agreement (1947) when a group of children ( around 14 and 15) walked past the cottage. It was 11pm and they had been wandering back and forth from a house on the corner to a field where thay had set up a camp.Now they were quietish in their behaviour but did smash a bottle or two on the road before running off and I guess by running off at least they exhibited some fear of being told off for doing something wrong. I didn't go out and challenge them last night (how many horror stories have we heard about have-a-go men that have done that) but I did do so this morning in the very cold grey light of dawn, when some of the group were staggering home with sleeping bags and blankets.
God I sounded like an old fart, but I did tell them at it was out of order,illegal and I would call the police and have a word with their mother if it happened again............("I know where you live!"..)....
Perhaps it would do some good as two of the girls had the grace to agree and look sheepish, who knows?
All I do know is that through media reporting and hearsay, young people are being feared. Knowing that you create fear is powerful and that in itself is worrying.Yes fearing these kids is more worrying than being angered by their behaviour!

Anyhow back to the film.....artificial and full of speeches it was an interesting piece that over explored a reporter( Gregory Peck) and his pretense to be Jewish in order to cover a story on anti-Semitism.Peck 's character personally discovers the true depths of bigotry and hatred in upper class American society and challenges the "quiet" acceptance by the middlecasses of racism .
Loved Celeste Holm's performance as a wisecracking reporter (she won the Oscar for best supporting actress -pic)
Working nights tonight.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes