"Someone to do nothing with"

Sometimes a phrase from a conversation or book sticks in your mind for a long time. I heard a poignant statement last night during a conversation I had with an elderly lady from the village. She lost her husband last year and is still having problems adjusting to widowhood. She said rather sadly
"The thing I miss the most is not having someone to do nothing with"
On the surface the statement sounds awkward and clumsy, but on reflection I think it quite moving and eloquent , as the strength of a relationship often lies in those quiet moments that do not seem as important as bigger noisier gestures.
Living with someone, makes you dovetail into someone Else's existence and although I had been single for many years before "living over the brush", and very happily so,I just can't imagine being on my own again.

I can understand completely what this lady shared with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes